The Student Room Group

why are most homophobes a*******?

correlation or causation?

Scroll to see replies

Correlation most probably. Also, how do you know most of them are? Billions of people are homophobic, I doubt most of them are ********s.
Well they did get their ideas from religion so I guess we can't trash them too much.
Original post by loveleest
Well they did get their ideas from religion so I guess we can't trash them too much.

Can't we? They've chosen to believe ancient, not to mention fictional, texts, over science.
Original post by miless090
Can't we? They've chosen to believe ancient, not to mention fictional, texts, over science.

well that's still religion to blame I guess. Some people think a book is necessary for them in the ways of life
well that's still religion to blame I guess. Some people think a book is necessary for them in the ways of life

They want a book? How about something from respected scientists that's been peer reviewed and has evidence to back it up.
Original post by Maths (2^2) Life
correlation or causation?

I accept that all humans are equal before the law, that doesnt mean I have to personally like them, does it?

In fact, I strongly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in a private companies decision. For example when a christian bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It is their right to deny anyone service for whatever reason. Thats the drawback of free speech. There is nothing more immoral than the state getting involved to dictate who the bakery has to serve.

Yes, Im an atheist.
(edited 7 years ago)
Not all homophobes are, arguably, ********s and not all ********s are homophobes.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Correlation most probably. Also, how do you know most of them are? Billions of people are homophobic, I doubt most of them are ********s.

Being homophobic is being an ******* by default.
Original post by tanyapotter
Being homophobic is being an ******* by default.

If most of the world are ********s doesn't that diminish the term?
They want a book? How about something from respected scientists that's been peer reviewed and has evidence to back it up.

Yes, like to teach them morals...which scientists do not give (although I don't particularly agree with cooncept)Having said that, I do not class myself as religious at all so I can't answer that question properly. It would be answered better by someone practising a religion.
Original post by Galaxie501
I accept that all humans are equal before the law, that doesnt mean I have to personally like them, does it?

In fact, I strongly oppose the idea of the state getting involved in a private companies decision. For example when a christian bakery refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. It is their right to deny anyone service for whatever reason. Thats the drawback of free speech. There is nothing more immoral than the state getting involved to dictate who the bakery has to serve.

Yes, Im an atheist.

If you don't like them, but also don't try to make their lives miserable, then fine. It's the homophobes that punish people fore being gay, as if they chose to. Yeah, I totally chose to be gay and have people hate me for it. Definitely wouldn't chose the other option for an easy life.
Correlation.

You can be an A-hole and still support human rights.

But if you're a homophobe, you are by definition an A-hole.

Yes, Im an atheist.

If you don't like someone just for their sexuality alone then I would say that is a bit of a problem.I do agree with the rest though.
Reply 14
Correlation. People are complicated, and indoctrination is a very real thing. Someone could be the nicest person in the world in many ways, and not be hostile to gay people, but be against gay marriage for religious reasons. I wouldn't call them an as*hole. I would say they are at worst stupid, and at best misguided. We should try to understand why people hold certain views rather than instantly damning them, even if we disagree on a very fundamental level, and recognise that there are indeed degrees of a*sholery.
Reply 15
Liberals are usually the most *******ish people out there.
Still yet to ever meet a homophobe
Yes, like to teach them morals...which scientists do not give (although I don't particularly agree with cooncept)Having said that, I do not class myself as religious at all so I can't answer that question properly. It would be answered better by someone practising a religion.

Part of me wants to say they have parents to teach them morals, but older people are often found to be less tolerant so that probably wouldn't be much better. But still they should use common sense to teach them morals. If two consenting people are happy and in love, not hurting anyone, why should anyone else have a problem with it?
If you don't like them, but also don't try to make their lives miserable, then fine. It's the homophobes that punish people fore being gay, as if they chose to. Yeah, I totally chose to be gay and have people hate me for it. Definitely wouldn't chose the other option for an easy life.

Luckily no western country punishes homosexuals, to my knowledge. I personally dont actually care if someone is gay or not, but what I do not like is the over-the-top flamboyant behaviour that some people exhibit. I would also dislike this behaviour in any straight person, by the way.

If you don't like someone just for their sexuality alone then I would say that is a bit of a problem.I do agree with the rest though.

@loveleest

No, thats not the case. "I personally dont actually care if someone is gay or not, but what I do not like is the over-the-top flamboyant behaviour that some people exhibit. I would also dislike this behaviour in any straight person, by the way."

In conclusion: A society cannot be humanistic and advocate equal rights if not all people and social groups are equal (at least in front of the law). 100% social equality will never be reached however. Its a complete Utopia.
(edited 7 years ago)
Luckily no western country punishes homosexuals, to my knowledge. I personally dont actually care if someone is gay or not, but what I do not like is the over-the-top flamboyant behaviour that some people exhibit. I would also dislike this behaviour in any straight person, by the way.

Punish as in imprison them? Probably not, in the western world. But there are plenty of people who are beaten up or killed because of their sexuality even if their country's laws are fine with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending