The Student Room Group

Relationship in Uni, good idea?

Never been in a relationship before. I am hoping to find someone in Uni, but I have read this is a bad idea but not sure why? I was also wondering if it is difficult to find someone at Uni as I am looking for a long term relationship ideally, not a short term fling?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Never been in a relationship before. I am hoping to find someone in Uni, but I have read this is a bad idea but not sure why? I was also wondering if it is difficult to find someone at Uni as I am looking for a long term relationship ideally, not a short term fling?

I met my fiance at uni :smile: I suppose it depends on you and other people whether its difficult or easy to find someone at uni.
I had a long-term relationship for 2 years at university - has its good and bad points. My favourite year was my last one though (when I didn't have a boyfriend), bonded more with my friends etc.
Some folks are at uni for 6 years...you really think it'd be bad to have a relationship for that time? :tongue:

Had a 2 year relationship at uni; currently in a new relationship while still at uni. 10/10. Would recommend.
Take the Barney approach
My boyfriend and I moved to the same uni together. Still together and going into our third year! As for finding someone at university, definitely doable. I know loads of people who got in a relationship with people they met in halls and are still going strong :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey

I would see how it goes at university and firstly concentrate on your degree, getting by in daily life and hopefully you will meet the right person.
Have a look at university's website for clubs and societies and sign up to them, you may have to pay a few quid to the society to join and then meet people. Perhaps have a look on the facebook group for your course or find your flatmates facebook? Another suggestion could be to go on youtube and find lots of advice videos on relationships.

I hope it works out for you
Theres nothing wrong with getting into a long term relationship while in university but try not to get too involved in it and balance your study and social life.
Also on the topic of "focusing on your degree first". I don't think this is necessarily good advice.

Yes, your degree is important. But it's perfectly okay for your relationship to be equally as important. We're social animals. It's important that we fulfil our social needs - that we make the people around us feel cared about - as well as pursue our own career aspirations. Personal and social development in balance init.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Also on the topic of "focusing on your degree first". I don't think this is necessarily good advice.

Yes, your degree is important. But it's perfectly okay for your relationship to be equally as important. We're social animals. It's important that we fulfil our social needs - that we make the people around us feel cared about - as well as pursue our own career aspirations. Personal and social development in balance init.

This. It's perfectly possible to get good grades whilst in a relationship. My boyfriend is currently on an 83% average at uni haha :redface:
But i think that doing a degree is stressful enough ( I am currently doing one at the moment) and having a long term boyfriend can be a bit too much to cope with, if you want some keep them sort term and have fun together.
Original post by Anonymous

The reason you're not sure why, is because the idea of finding love at university being bad is really silly. I think quite a lot of people actually meet their future spouse at university.

I think it's probably easier to find a long term relationship at university, given that everyone is more mature, but this is subjective and I don't think anyone can give a you a conclusive answer on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
This. It's perfectly possible to get good grades whilst in a relationship. My boyfriend is currently on an 83% average at uni haha :redface:

My fiances grades went up because of me (apparently:P, he went from averaging a 2:1 to graduating with a first), no reason why you can't balance both :smile:

I've always said I would put 'x' before a relationship, but I think that mentality needs to go now! Thanks :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
The reason you're not sure why, is because the idea of finding love at university being bad is really silly. I think quite a lot of people actually meet their future spouse at university.

I think it's probably easier to find a long term relationship at university, given that everyone is more mature, but this is subjective and I don't think anyone can give a you a conclusive answer on that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People say i'm quite mature for my age, one of my lecturers said 18 going on 80, not that I think that of myself. Everyone being really mature would certainly help me. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 15
Why not. I think emotional and sexual fulfilment boosts learning.
As long as you keep your priorities straight, I see no problems with it :smile:
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
, given that everyone is more mature,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahahahahahahahahaha. Nice one. You must've went to Cambridge or the open university.
Original post by claireestelle
My fiances grades went up because of me (apparently:P, he went from averaging a 2:1 to graduating with a first), no reason why you can't balance both :smile:

I'm 100% sure my SO wouldn't have got a first on her dissertation if it wasn't for my proof reading. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 100% sure my SO wouldn't have got a first on her dissertation if it wasn't for my proof reading. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine might have just missed the first because my proofreading was a bit shoddy :colondollar: But he had a first in every other assigment so there was no major harm done.

Quick Reply

Latest