The Student Room Group

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email?

Scroll to see replies

a 2.1 and you speak like a spoilt teenager/brat? Yes I believe you. Millions wouldn't though?!?

Spoiler

Reply 81
Original post by Profesh
2/10.

Generous. Though I did appreciate "poopy-pants".
Original post by M1011
You guarantee it? So in your mind the first thing a little local recruitment company is going to do upon receiving this email is go out of their way to warn Adecco and Manpower to benefit their main competitors? Smart - this is how all successful businesses operate.

It's not uncommon for rival companies to talk.ie Hitler sat in front of many opposition officials before the 2nd world war started. Not a war but they'll still do that if they feel someone's being nasty to them just to get one back... You are right that it may not happen but I think there's enough people on the planet that they need to worry about numbers.
Reply 83
Original post by Anfanny
It's not uncommon for rival companies to talk.ie Hitler sat in front of many opposition officials before the 2nd world war started. Not a war but they'll still do that if they feel someone's being nasty to them just to get one back... You are right that it may not happen but I think there's enough people on the planet that they need to worry about numbers.

Whilst I disagree with your point, I do enjoy your comparison of recruitment agencies to Nazis.
Reply 84
Original post by john2054
a 2.1 and you speak like a spoilt teenager/brat? Yes I believe you. Millions wouldn't though?!?

Come on guys, you really believe this guy has any kind of graduate qualification? He probably doesn't even have a levels ffs!

Are you joking? The amount of total morons with degrees these days is mind boggling. Like seriously you get people that you wouldn't trust to feed themselves with degrees in all kinds of crap.
Original post by M1011
Are you joking? The amount of total morons with degrees these days is mind boggling. Like seriously you get people that you wouldn't trust to feed themselves with degrees in all kinds of crap.

And what degree do you have, just to be honest? include subject, grade, year and university thanks. Or don't tease if you can't back up>?
Reply 86
And what degree do you have, just to be honest? include subject, grade, year and university thanks. Or don't tease if you can't back up>?

I'm sorry, is your implication that I don't have a degree?

1) What relevance does that have to the conversation? Whether I have a degree or not has no bearing on the subject?
2) What would me naming a subject (knowing the f'in obvious), grade (10), year (3000) and university (Atlantis) prove?
3) Wouldn't take you long in my post history to realise what a moronic statement you're making.... but for what it's worth... yes I have a degree, no it wasn't particularly hard and no having a degree does not generically imply intelligence, aptitude, ability, work ethic or anything else.

OK?
Original post by M1011

1) What relevance does that have to the conversation? Whether I have a degree or not has no bearing on the subject?
2) What would me naming a subject (knowing the f'in obvious), grade (10), year (3000) and university (Atlantis) prove?
3) Wouldn't take you long in my post history to realise what a moronic statement you're making.... but for what it's worth... yes I have a degree, no it wasn't particularly hard and no having a degree does not generically imply intelligence, aptitude, ability, work ethic or anything else.

OK?

That doesn't answer the question. I'm sorry but when you ask someone for their degree title, grade year and university, and they reply with 'yes i have one', it doesn't inspire confidence does it?!?
Original post by M1011

OK?

Also the reason why i'm asking, but i don't know what mickey mouse university you did your degree at, but
intelligence, aptitude, ability, work ethic

these are exactly the qualities that my degree not just taught, but required. As did everyone else at my university.

So unless you are an a grade student, who walked uni like you did you a levels, or went to a very poor university which doesn't require excellence from their students, or went thirty years ago, when the standards were generally lower. Or as i suspect, are just making it up.

If you still think you have a degree, tell me these details. Any one with a real one, would be prepared to reveal this information. The reason why you don't is because you can't, because you don't have one, or you think you went to 'Atlantis in the year 3000'.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UWS
That's an extremely arrogant and insulting email and there's more chance of Elvis Presley coming back to life than getting the job

So there is a chance:wink:
Original post by sationti
Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?

Well I'm glad you wrote that email because they were out of order to waste your time and even worse seemed like they did not know what they were doing. Maybe next time they will think twice about making people travel to them for no reason after the email you sent but i doubt it unless you send a copy of that email to the manager of the agency so i think you should do that and explain how you wasted money to get there but say you only wrote it out of anger and frustration. But don't worry because there are lots of other agencies out there who can help you so you don't have to rely on just one agency.
And You are entitled to their jobs because they need people like you for their business to thrive plus they get massive bonuses for every person they send to employer's.

I have met so many people with degrees who refuse to go back to agencies because the agency give them false hope that they will get them a job but don't or they never ring back or they did not like the recruitment consultant but if any one has a degree they should not give up on agencies just sign up with lots of different ones to see who gets them the jobs faster.
Some consultants are the worst idiots on the planet and think their so wonderful that their the only one that can do that job but they never give other people advice that they can do that job too or apply to work at the same company.

Years ago i signed up with an agency and afterwards i saw a job advertised in their window so i rang up my consultant to apply for it and she shouted why do you want to apply for a job that's more than what your already earning ? Then she apologised straight away because she knew she was acting unprofessional. I did not say anything but i wish i'd had the balls to give her a piece of my mind so i'm glad you did to your consultant. I already had a job but i hated it and the pay was very low and the job i saw in their window was only a little bit more money so it was a stupid thing for her to say and really weird to act that way. It put me off agencies and i did not go back or join any others for a long time so my point is if your not happy with them and they have not found you a job yet try other agencies and try to sign up with good agencies. What is your one called?
Try Reed agency or any other's.
Type employment agencies on google in your area or a different area and it will show a long list for you to choose from

You can also apply to work as a Trainee recruitment consultant yourself online with Reed, CV Library, Monster, Indeed or Reed agency are always advertising for people and you can tell any agency you sign up with you are interested in that role or apply for Trainee estate agents, Look up Foxtons on google to apply with them.
I'm not sure if your interested in those jobs as most people on here are'nt and turn their nose up at it and would prefer to stay unemployed or do low paid retail jobs.

If agencies don't ring you at least once a week then you have to ring once a week to remind them you are still alive because they have lots of clients and sometimes forget or if they have no jobs they think are suitable for you but they have no brains to just tell people about different jobs just to check if people are willing to apply for something else rather than staying unemployed for a longer period of time.
Also always ask on the phone exactly why they want you to come in because they are well known for calling people in to their office for **** reasons when they could have just given you the details over the phone or if they had arranged for you to have an interview with an employer they could have told you to bring your passport the same day or when it's more convenient for you.

Sometimes these idiots will make you come in to their office just to tell you about the job details or if they wanted to arrange to send you for an interview but they could have just told you on the phone instead of making you come to them.
I once sent a rude email to an agency complaining that the questions online were too long and it just wasted my time because i was applying for a job with their agency online but after filling out the application form it also came with a very long questionaire so i did not finish answering the questions so the agency sent me an email saying thanks for replying but they can not accept me but i did'nt care.
Original post by sationti
I'll be sending them neither. The only thing they'd be getting from me is a turd through their letterbox.

I'm not interested in that joke of an agency, only whether they would prevent me from getting external agency jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, you've got the right attitude. The only reason I apply for Trainee Recruitment jobs are because I don't want to go back into low paid retail jobs and other low paid jobs as so many people who have degrees do that instead of signing up with different agencies to get jobs with higher wages plus I don't really know what other jobs pay more and recruitment is not my ideal job but I wanted to do it because I hate the way they treat people sometimes by lying about unecessary things and making people come to their office when they could have given them simple information on the phone so I would not treat anybody in that way.
I couldn't stop laughing.

And yes, your chances with that agency is gone.
Good for you. I would have used stronger language. Nice of all these kids to throw their negative opinion at you but I very much doubt than any of them have experienced graduate unemployment and what it does to your psyche.

They wasted your time and there are plenty more like them. They can't expect respect and decency when they don't offer it.

I remember a similar thing happening to me except the £35 train fare I spent to go to a particular "interview" was the very last money I had. Didn't even get so much as a "sorry you're not the candidate we're looking for". People will waste your time and money and they really won't care - they don't think about the individual.

Chin up though. You'll get something of you keep at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
£8 in petrol to drive 22 miles?? What car do you drive?...a military tank!

I hate to burst your overinflated egotistical bubble but most recruitment consultants are educated to degree level and many degrees actually don't mean an awful lot to some employers as actual experience.
Getting the experience is the hard part - finding an employer who will give you an opportunity to prove gain experience.
In my opinion the agency acted perfectly fine, they registered you straightaway so they can put you forward for a job, but they have to send your cv to the company filling the position and only they will decide (not the agency) if you get an interview.
It appears that your 2.1 and big head that likely struggled to pass through their door wasn't good enough to afford you the knowledge of how recruitment works.
Next time ask questions regarding the process.
What was your degree in? Pure Maths, Astrophysics, aeronautical engineering, sheep shearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by KingLhasaApso
£8 in petrol to drive 22 miles?? What car do you drive?...a military tank!

I hate to burst your overinflated egotistical bubble but most recruitment consultants are educated to degree level and many degrees actually don't mean an awful lot to some employers as actual experience.
Getting the experience is the hard part - finding an employer who will give you an opportunity to prove gain experience.
In my opinion the agency acted perfectly fine, they registered you straightaway so they can put you forward for a job, but they have to send your cv to the company filling the position and only they will decide (not the agency) if you get an interview.
It appears that your 2.1 and big head that likely struggled to pass through their door wasn't good enough to afford you the knowledge of how recruitment works.
Next time ask questions regarding the process.
What was your degree in? Pure Maths, Astrophysics, aeronautical engineering, sheep shearing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was a 44 mile round trip. I'm not bothered it anymore, I was angry at the time, but now I think 'stuff them'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
That doesn't answer the question. I'm sorry but when you ask someone for their degree title, grade year and university, and they reply with 'yes i have one', it doesn't inspire confidence does it?!?

I can see the point was lost on you.... I have a degree -> it has ZERO relevance to whether degrees in general are a good indicator of ability etc -> therefore I declined your question as it's irrelevant.

If I was lying I would simply make something up. For example, I could claim to be a "2i graduate in joint honours Sociology with Theatre Studies degree Derby university (UK) class of 2016" - maybe I spent the last 3 years sitting next to you in class?

Also the reason why i'm asking, but i don't know what mickey mouse university you did your degree at, but
intelligence, aptitude, ability, work ethic

these are exactly the qualities that my degree not just taught, but required. As did everyone else at my university.

So unless you are an a grade student, who walked uni like you did you a levels, or went to a very poor university which doesn't require excellence from their students, or went thirty years ago, when the standards were generally lower. Or as i suspect, are just making it up.

If you still think you have a degree, tell me these details. Any one with a real one, would be prepared to reveal this information. The reason why you don't is because you can't, because you don't have one, or you think you went to 'Atlantis in the year 3000'.

Spoiler

I see I've touched a nerve. Come back to me after you've spent a couple years in the working world and tell me if you still feel the same way. Once you've worked with people from top universities that don't have a clue, you'll realise how a degree in itself really isn't a great indicator of anything.

Spoiler

Reply 97
Nice 1 m8
the agency are looking for stand-out candidates. your utterly original email to Jackie is just what they are looking for :wink:
Original post by M1011
I can see the point was lost on you.... I have a degree -> it has ZERO relevance to whether degrees in general are a good indicator of ability etc -> therefore I declined your question as it's irrelevant.

If I was lying I would simply make something up. For example, I could claim to be a "2i graduate in joint honours Sociology with Theatre Studies degree Derby university (UK) class of 2016" - maybe I spent the last 3 years sitting next to you in class?

I see I've touched a nerve. Come back to me after you've spent a couple years in the working world and tell me if you still feel the same way. Once you've worked with people from top universities that don't have a clue, you'll realise how a degree in itself really isn't a great indicator of anything.

Spoiler

I agree. Degrees aren't an indicator for excellence, a lot of companies with none technical roles like them because they show commitment and academic level, the subject is often less of a factor.
But generally they don't hold much weight.
And before the university ambassadors start I have a degree in Business Studies, majoring in Accounting and Finance, I have many years working in recruitment and am now a 50% owner/director of a finance company. Whilst I agree agency consultants are often crap at getting back to candidates, they are governed completely by the pressure of sales figures and the companies who want the roles filling, as somebody stated thats the industry.

Also I note somebody comparing a modern day degree to one of 25 years ago, I imagine degrees from then were much harder to achieve due to having to write the majority of coursework, read and source textbooks only and no internet or email available. . Just saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending