The Student Room Group

Britain entering a recession?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pol pot noodles
If the economy was performing at a state similar to the late 1950s or the great depression then I'd be worried, but really all you're saying here is that we might get a recession that would be the worst since the last recession we had. When we were in the EU.

That's great for the millions on the breadline for who a recession would be devastating. An unnecessary recession could cause a lot of damage.
Original post by skeptical_john
That's great for the millions on the breadline for who a recession would be devastating. An unnecessary recession could cause a lot of damage.

Of course a recession would be devasting to the very poorest. That's not really the point. I was just pointing out what you said is like saying 'it was England's worst loss since the last time they lost.'
And how is it unnecessary? I know Remain like to condescendingly imagine all Leave voters are gullible idiots, but the reality is the majority of us understood there would be short term financial instability but voted Leave anyway, believing it to be worth it. It's arguably self-inflicted but it's not unnecessary if it's a required part of an intended process.
Of course a recession would be devasting to the very poorest. That's not really the point. I was just pointing out what you said is like saying 'it was England's worst loss since the last time they lost.'
And how is it unnecessary? I know Remain like to condescendingly imagine all Leave voters are gullible idiots, but the reality is the majority of us understood there would be short term financial instability but voted Leave anyway, believing it to be worth it. It's arguably self-inflicted but it's not unnecessary if it's a required part of an intended process.

It's unnecessary as in we were doing fine while in the EU. Maybe we will be better off in 10 years who knows.

You say a recession is devastating but you then compare it losing a football match? I'm not really sure you understand what happens during recessions. Especially for younger people, those well off can manage it but evidence shows that when you suffer it when young the consequences stay for a very long time in loss of earnings, productivity and self worth.
I think Britain is going to enter a recession, not to mention the Brexiteers have kinda overlooked a lot:

1. There's increased immigration now, since people are coming to claim citizenship while they still can, since there's a possibility they can't in future.

2. Britain sorely needs the immigrants for them to pour cash into the economy, as well as help run and start businesses.

For example, as a Canadian, Brexit is great for me since my savings are now worth so much more here. Britain wants my money.

But in all seriousness Britain won't leave the EU, and instead "leave" the political union, and join the trade union, which has to pay membership fees and have free movement of people, without any political representation in the EU parliament.

GG Britain.

It isn't just the very poorest who suffer in recessions. Deep recessions can cause big spikes in unemployment, pushing a lot of paid people below the poverty line. This was moderated since 2008, but only by knocking 10% off general real incomes for large groups of paid workers.

For sure not all Leave voters were gullible idiots, but enough must have been for the reactionary elements in the hedge funds and offshored oligarchs who were the main backers of Leave to cynically conclude that they could fool them into supporting their agenda, which has precious little to do with the wellbeing of the majority.
Original post by skeptical_john
It's unnecessary as in we were doing fine while in the EU. Maybe we will be better off in 10 years who knows.

You say a recession is devastating but you then compare it losing a football match? I'm not really sure you understand what happens during recessions. Especially for younger people, those well off can manage it but evidence shows that when you suffer it when young the consequences stay for a very long time in loss of earnings, productivity and self worth.

We were doing fine in spite of being in the EU, there's a big difference.

Stop being so delicate and going out of your way to find things to get offended by. I was pointing out that saying an event is the worst one to happen since the last time the event happened gives no actual indication as to how bad it is in the relative scheme of things. Another analogy- 'this is the worst storm since the last time there was a storm.'
Original post by moggis
So far as the comment in the last box is concerned there really is some truth in it.edit well obviously experts do know a lot of things. But all those things they know often leads them to believe they are infallible and other problems that seeing things from up close can bring.

Whenever the predictions of so called 'experts' in certain fields have been scrutinised it's often been found that a troop of monkeys could have come up with similar results by 'guessing'.

Expert opinions in general really are held in too high esteem I and others believe.

How would you or anyone like it if your child died in their sleep and some ******* expert in court said you must have killed it?

That actually happened.And the poor woman went to prison.

In the case of doctors ,don't make me laugh. Read the book,Bodies by Jed Mercurio.Ok that's fiction but there's some truth in much fiction and I understand this book has some truth in it.

Doctors make many many mistakes. But guess what? A) One of the reasons they make mistakes is because lesser staff are scared to question the expert doctor.
B) Experts are often arrogant and are loathe to admit mistakes
C) There's almost certainly a c

I don't wish to offend anyone but I'm passionate about the subject of experts.

The politest thing I can say I think is that I definitely knock a few % points off my estimation of the IQ of someone who is otherwise intelligent but who blindly follows the advice of experts .

It's a cartoon!
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It isn't just the very poorest who suffer in recessions. Deep recessions can cause big spikes in unemployment, pushing a lot of paid people below the poverty line. This was moderated since 2008, but only by knocking 10% off general real incomes for large groups of paid workers.

For sure not all Leave voters were gullible idiots, but enough must have been for the reactionary elements in the hedge funds and offshored oligarchs who were the main backers of Leave to cynically conclude that they could fool them into supporting their agenda, which has precious little to do with the wellbeing of the majority.

I was using very poorest vaguely but yes I agree with your first point.
Not so much with the second however. The VAST majority of financial institutions, including hedge funds supported Remain. The rich power brokers and 'offshore oligarchs' supported Remain. The 'establishment' of shady powerful people that you often rant about oppressing us plebs all supported Remain. You can't label people, in this case Leave voters, who refused to be swayed by outside propaganda and pressure as being gullible. Stubborn, yes, but not gullible. Remain certainly fits that bill though.
I was using very poorest vaguely but yes I agree with your first point.
Not so much with the second however. The VAST majority of financial institutions, including hedge funds supported Remain. The rich power brokers and 'offshore oligarchs' supported Remain. The 'establishment' of shady powerful people that you often rant about oppressing us plebs all supported Remain. You can't label people, in this case Leave voters, who refused to be swayed by outside propaganda and pressure as being gullible. Stubborn, yes, but not gullible. Remain certainly fits that bill though.

I suppose Rupert Murdoch, the Barclays and Lord Dacre are too minor to appear in your list of offshored oligarchs who supported Leave? :holmes:

Then we come to the hedge funds - what was it that billionaire bankroller of Leave said just before the result? "We want there to be chaos" - something like that?

We won't even get started on Farage, running it from his luxury pad outside Brussels and keeping his MEP job going indefinitely after the fact.
I suppose Rupert Murdoch, the Barclays and Lord Dacre are too minor to appear in your list of offshored oligarchs who supported Leave? :holmes:

Then we come to the hedge funds - what was it that billionaire bankroller of Leave said just before the result? "We want there to be chaos" - something like that?

We won't even get started on Farage, running it from his luxury pad outside Brussels and keeping his MEP job going indefinitely after the fact.

I seriously hope someone as intelligent as you isn't actually suggesting that these four cherry-picked examples somehow proves your point. If you want to have a name dropping exercise of the rich and powerful I can guarantee you my list will be a lot, lot longer.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with Farage is either. I don't believe anyone ever suggested or believed that if Leave won the referendum all UKIP MEPs would resign the next day or just stop doing their jobs.
I seriously hope someone as intelligent as you isn't actually suggesting that these four cherry-picked examples somehow proves your point. If you want to have a name dropping exercise of the rich and powerful I can guarantee you my list will be a lot, lot longer.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with Farage is either. I don't believe anyone ever suggested or believed that if Leave won the referendum all UKIP MEPs would resign the next day or just stop doing their jobs.

Yes, it's just a total absurdity of mine to pick the oligarchs who run about 2/3 of Britain's mass media. Silly me.
all-important Service PMI .

A poor predictor at the best of times, even worse when those who take the survey are currently throwing their toys out of the pram, the data really is absurd as it suggested a 4% contraction in GDP in less than a month.
Reply 92
Original post by Jammy Duel
A poor predictor at the best of times, even worse when those who take the survey are currently throwing their toys out of the pram, the data really is absurd as it suggested a 4% contraction in GDP in less than a month.

bro, you can't say that... It's against remain agenda and therefore must be discarded immediately.

I think the point is that the leave campaign tried to make out they were this anti establishment movement despite being full of and led by establishment figures.

A movement spearheaded by the former Etonian Mayor of London, the Lord Chancellor and the owners of Britain's largest papers can hardly be described as anti establishment.

I don't like how the leave camp played the 'little guy' card.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is looking much better.
Remainers were predicting the apocalypse. Every major multinational corporation was to have relocated elsewhere, the banks were going to move to Frankfurt, the rest of the world was going to shun us, no one would trade with us, the union would disintegrate and the economy was going to implode.
Short term financial instability was entirely expected, so frankly this is both in line with general Leave predictions and still much better than what Remainers said would happen. If the economy stagnates or declines over the next five-ten years then you'd have an argument.

To be fair, that's exactly the argument that a lot of conservative and UKIP voters make if someone suggests raising taxes, the minimum wage or clamping down on tax avoidance.

'if we do that every business will flock overnight' etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
To be fair, that's exactly the argument that a lot of conservative and UKIP voters make if someone suggests raising taxes, the minimum wage or clamping down on tax avoidance.

'if we do that every business will flock overnight' etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean, it's not like there is empirical evidence that increasing taxes doesn't help or anything...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean, it's not like there is empirical evidence that increasing taxes doesn't help or anything...

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you ideologically want lower taxes fair enough but let's not pretend that having.increidbly low tax rates raises more money than having medium tax rates.

Before Blair brought in the minimum wage there was huge scaremongering from the tories about how businesses would relocate. It didn't happen and now the tories have increased it too.

Before Osborne increased it there was scarmeongering yet again fears were unfounded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If you ideologically want lower taxes fair enough but let's not pretend that having.increidbly low tax rates raises more money than having medium tax rates.

Before Blair brought in the minimum wage there was huge scaremongering from the tories about how businesses would relocate. It didn't happen and now the tories have increased it too.

Before Osborne increased it there was scarmeongering yet again fears were unfounded.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is empirical evidence that the minimum wage harms jobs, even the government admits it.

Pretty much every country has a peak tax revenue, for the the UK it's in the high 30s for percentage of GDP, in the US it's about 19% federally and I imagine similar again state. It doesn't matter whether you set taxes super high or just high enough to hit that limit, it is still there. The thing is just high enough will be better for the economy.

Fact of the matter is the 35% federal corporation tax in the US is making so many businesses want to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is empirical evidence that the minimum wage harms jobs, even the government admits it.

Pretty much every country has a peak tax revenue, for the the UK it's in the high 30s for percentage of GDP, in the US it's about 19% federally and I imagine similar again state. It doesn't matter whether you set taxes super high or just high enough to hit that limit, it is still there. The thing is just high enough will be better for the economy.

Fact of the matter is the 35% federal corporation tax in the US is making so many businesses want to leave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's also empirical evidence that raising the nmw doesn't harm jobs, Blair managed record employment after it and there wasn't the apocalypse that many predicted.

I believe our current tax rates are fine, it's enforcement that needs to improve by working internationally to clamp down on tax havens and tax avoidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's also empirical evidence that raising the nmw doesn't harm jobs, Blair managed record employment after it and there wasn't the apocalypse that many predicted.

I believe our current tax rates are fine, it's enforcement that needs to improve by working internationally to clamp down on tax havens and tax avoidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That implies minimum wage is the only factor. In the US on the other hand you can make comparisons because different states have different minimum wages, comparing similar states allows analysis of the effect.

Exactly as the theory predicts when you have two states which are economically similar, one at federal minimum the other with a higher state minimum an increase in federal causes relative harm to the one at federal minimum.

Simple fact of the matter is that if you increase minimum wage a business have fewer staff in the short - medium term compared to not increasing unless they have a real increase in pre wage profits vs the increase in minimum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest