The Student Room Group

Wanting to go to my insurance instead of firm choice

I've decided that I actually would want to go to my insurance place instead at De Montford but I don't know how I'd do that if my place at my firm would be accepted.

Do I then have to go through clearing/adjustment after declining the successful place at the firm? Also, If I would want to go into a completely different subject, do I still normally apply through clearing/adjustment and do I then need to separately provide a brand new personal statement for that particular course?
Reply 1
If you're sure, you can just refuse your firm place and make your insurance your firm.
Original post by Devify
If you're sure, you can just refuse your firm place and make your insurance your firm.

It is too late for any changes of this type to go through (and even when it was possible it was more complex than "refuse your firm place" )

Original post by katherine9609
I've decided that I actually would want to go to my insurance place instead at De Montford but I don't know how I'd do that if my place at my firm would be accepted.Do I then have to go through clearing/adjustment after declining the successful place at the firm? Also, If I would want to go into a completely different subject, do I still normally apply through clearing/adjustment and do I then need to separately provide a brand new personal statement for that particular course?

Talk to De Montfort and ask if they'd be happy to take you as firm choice. If they're happy speak to your firm and explain the situation.

Ideally you'll need to get your firm and insurance choices to speak to each other to ensure this happens.

Neither university can actually do anything until results day now (the Scottish results are coming through and UCAS has locked down the ability to swap firm and insurance) so there are 2 ways it could be managed if both universities cooperate.

If you meet your firm offer your firm has to accept you and then place you into Clearing - you'll then be able to add your insurance as a Clearing choice and they'll accept you through that route ASAP.

If you miss your firm offer then your firm can reject you and you'll be passed to your insurance choice.
When you call universities ask for the name and job title of the person you speak to.

Avoid the terms "release", "reject" and "withdraw" - they all have very specific meanings in the UCAS system and using the wrong one risks getting an unhelpful response at best or the wrong result at worst.

Just explain what you want to happen: "I want De Montfort course to be my firm choice" and let your universities worry about the details of how it happens.

If they give you instructions or make promises ask if they can send those instructions/promises by email so you have them in writing.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It is too late for any changes of this type to go through (and even when it was possible it was more complex than "refuse your firm place" )

If the OP is sure they can simply call their firm choice uni and UCAS and say that they want to withdraw their application from their firmed uni. That one will be removed and the insurance choice will automatically move to firm. So yes, they can simply refuse their firm place
Original post by Devify
If the OP is sure they can simply call their firm choice uni and UCAS and say that they want to withdraw their application from their firmed uni. That one will be removed and the insurance choice will automatically move to firm. So yes, they can simply refuse their firm place

No they can't - to swap firm and insurance needs agreement between firm, insurance and UCAS - and can't be done after 28 July.

UCAS have locked down their systems for confirmation - swaps are no longer possible.
Original post by Devify

FYI, PQ works in university admissions.
Thank you for the replies. I'll be waiting until results day then to make any changes
Thank you for the replies. I'll be waiting until results day then to make any changes

That is a terrible idea. That means if you miss your firm and they reject you that instead of spending the morning on the phone to clearing universities you will be on the phone to your insurance. On average it takes 48 hours after getting through for a release into clearing to show on track - so you won't be able to officially apply anywhere in clearing until the Sunday/Monday after results.

Or you could phone them NOW and have track show what you ask for on the morning of results day.
Original post by PQ
That is a terrible idea. That means if you miss your firm and they reject you that instead of spending the morning on the phone to clearing universities you will be on the phone to your insurance. On average it takes 48 hours after getting through for a release into clearing to show on track - so you won't be able to officially apply anywhere in clearing until the Sunday/Monday after results.

Or you could phone them NOW and have track show what you ask for on the morning of results day.

I cannot do that now as I will be changing my course as well. I know for that I will have to go through clearing/adjustment either way anyway no matter what uni I go to.
I was only asking whether it's possible to reject a successful place on results day to go to the insurance choice.
I cannot do that now as I will be changing my course as well. I know for that I will have to go through clearing/adjustment either way anyway no matter what uni I go to.
I was only asking whether it's possible to reject a successful place on results day to go to the insurance choice.

It's possible but if you wait until results (instead of ringing first thing Monday) then your chances of success are a lot smaller.
Reply 11
PQ is right, you have a better chance at getting what you want of you phone up on Monday. If you wait until results day you risk waiting on the busy phones for ages and then being stuck with your firm because De Monfort don't have places for whatever course you want to switch to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending