The Student Room Group

Why is TSR celebrating gay pride?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Fixed that for you

Yeah, I don't agree with them because they're disgusting. Funny that.
LGBT pride month is June.

Not the month. The Pride Parade. June is when the first Pride was held, then recently most places have it in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Yeah, I don't agree with them because they're disgusting. Funny that.

But of course everyone thinks the other opinion is disgusting!

You can see that, can't you? It's not that they have a 'disgusting opinion', it's just that it's disgusting in your opinion because you disagree with it.

inb4 'Nope it is objectively disgusting and my opinion is the only correct one.'
Original post by forbiddenforest
Not the month. The Pride Parade. June is when the first Pride was held, then recently most places have it in August.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Birmingham's is in May.
Reply 64
It's Brighton Pride this weekend, and the TSR offices are in Brighton. It's not politics at all, it's acceptance of equality.

(Sorry if someone else has pointed this out. :colondollar:)
Thanks TSR for ignoring the inevitable sniping from reactionaries and the kipper types who hang around TSR (many of them nothing to do with being a student or university life) and for demonstrating your acceptance of people who are still (as we can see from the comments in this thread) facing hostile attitudes in some quarters. :five: :clap2:
Reply 66
Original post by Airmed
It's Brighton Pride this weekend, and the TSR offices are in Brighton. It's not politics at all, it's acceptance of equality.

(Sorry if someone else has pointed this out. :colondollar:)

Being pro-gay rights is a political stance, given that acceptance of gays is a divisive topic and is not agreed upon by all.
Original post by Virgil.
Seems weird to me that the site staff/owners should be taking overt political stances.

The obvious impact of this is that it suggests that when some people come to this website their views will likely automatically be censored, and their right to an opinion will be impinged upon.

I mean if you have been on here long enough you will already know the censorship is punishingly intense against anything that even remotely deviates from 100% pure political correctness.

Now you can say TSR is a private enterprise - its free to do as it pleases, but do not see any reason why it is necessary for TSR to be pro gay pride?....Seems to me it would be better if it remained politically neutral.

Like, if it's ok to fly a gay pride banner at the top of the website, surely it's also ok to fly a Union Jack with the slogan "Britain for British People"?

As you say its privately owned, but publicly available.

Perhaps they see it as an inclusive site and encourage diversity or inclusion rather than discrimination or inequality?

As the site is full of young people then a significnat number of them will have identity issues, so I guess they are just saying its ok and nothing to be ashamed of.

There are plenty of other site for "Britain for British People", plenty of posters on here with that outlook and plenty of threads which end up pushing that view, so I hardly think they would feel lonely.

The sponsors probably wouldnt like it as it points towards xebophobia and intolerance at the very least. Certain discriminatory views such as racism or racial hatred touch upon illegality and they could be held liable for them.
Reply 68
Original post by 999tigger
As you say its privately owned, but publicly available.

Perhaps they see it as an inclusive site and encourage diversity or inclusion rather than discrimination or inequality?

As the site is full of young people then a significnat number of them will have identity issues, so I guess they are just saying its ok and nothing to be ashamed of.

There are plenty of other site for "Britain for British People", plenty of posters on here with that outlook and plenty of threads which end up pushing that view, so I hardly think they would feel lonely.

The sponsors probably wouldnt like it as it points towards xebophobia and intolerance at the very least. Certain discriminatory views such as racism or racial hatred touch upon illegality and they could be held liable for them.

No it doesnt. Being a racist / xenophobic is not a crime.

It's when your beliefs have an impact on others beyond just hurting their feelings, e.g. you go and beat up a bunch of black kids, or set a kebab shop on fire etc. That's when it become a crime.
Because TSR is based in Brighton - gay capital of the south coast if not the entire UK.
Original post by Virgil.
No it doesnt. Being a racist / xenophobic is not a crime.

It's when your beliefs have an impact on others beyond just hurting their feelings, e.g. you go and beat up a bunch of black kids, or set a kebab shop on fire etc. That's when it become a crime.

Xenophobia isnt but being racist where you incite others is.
Why would the sponsors want to be seen to support racism?
Do you support racism?
Original post by mentalbarry
Pedophilia is have sexual feeling towards a child. That is the definition of it therefore pedophilia is not illegal. You were clearly wrong.

You are getting mixed up with a child molester. Being a child molester is illegal.

Glad I could educate you at this time of night.

You cant compare pedophilia and homosexuality.The difference is peadophilia isnt a sexual orientation.Peadophiles can be attracted to adults so dont need to molest children.
gay people are exculsively attracted to the same sex.
I have no problems with a gay pride banner, but I am slightly annoyed that Brighton and Hove is singled out, when Belfast Pride is on today too ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜.
Reply 73
But of course everyone thinks the other opinion is disgusting!

You can see that, can't you? It's not that they have a 'disgusting opinion', it's just that it's disgusting in your opinion because you disagree with it.

inb4 'Nope it is objectively disgusting and my opinion is the only correct one.'

Um, that's kind of how opinions work. If we didn't think they were right they wouldn't be opinions ha
"I'm of the opinion the earth is round but I'm not right"

Nothing is objectively disgusting, but by any sensible criteria, anti-lgbt rights is not a very nice stance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently being pro-British makes you anti-foreigner.

But being pro-gay only makes you fabulous, not anti-straight.

^^
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
It shouldn't be political.
It's about acceptance and equality.

Couldn't have said it better
Reply 76
Original post by 1010marina
Apparently being pro-British makes you anti-foreigner.

But being pro-gay only makes you fabulous, not anti-straight.

^^

Strawmen abound

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the UK gay marriage is legal, being transgender is legal etc. etc. so you can suggest that the majority are in favour of LGBTQ+
Original post by RobML
Ok, if TSR expresses distaste against modern slavery?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your always a rude guy.
Reply 79
Original post by ckfeister
Your always a rude guy.

:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest