The Student Room Group

Brexit block: EU official says €25bn debt means UK can’t leave

https://www.rt.com/uk/354758-brexit-eu-debt-leave/

'An unnamed senior EU official told: the British slice of the debt would not be simply written off if Westminster invokes the much debated EU exit clause, Article 50.'

Don't give me your agg, I'm just here to view the drama. 🐍
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We're being held to ransom by a stubborn bureaucracy in panic mode. This was expected.

Gotta love some of the comments though:

Gold Popsicle

"Hotel Brussels" 'you can check out any time but you can never leave'

Whilst I wish we were remaining, surely if we owe money, it's an incentive for the EU to agree a deal that minimises the downsides to the UK?
Reply 3
Original post by Dodgypirate
Gotta love some of the comments though:Gold Popsicle"Hotel Brussels" 'you can check out any time but you can never leave'

In the Top 10:
"I swear it's time we told the school bully he ain't getting our lunch money any more. Followed by a body slam"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JohnGreek
I mean, you're basically feeding headlines to the DM and the Sun now...

The Guardian article on this was concise and helpful in explaining what exactly is going on here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/aug/05/britain-owes-the-eu-21bn-report-claims-but-is-it-true

That's shocking.

Fancy having to pay the relevant costs to be a part of something while you remain part of it. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Oh no it's almost as if it would be completely unfair to bugger off and leave a €25 billion debt behind us.
-
Le'ts be real tho, it's not gonna stop Brexit, there will simply be arrangements for us to pay it back lmao.
Original post by Inexorably
Oh no it's almost as if it would be completely unfair to bugger off and leave a €25 billion debt behind us.
-
Le'ts be real tho, it's not gonna stop Brexit, there will simply be arrangements for us to pay it back lmao.

You've gotta love those conspiracy nuts on RT lapping it up.
Original post by barnetlad
Whilst I wish we were remaining, surely if we owe money, it's an incentive for the EU to agree a deal that minimises the downsides to the UK?

Not at all. We still have to follow international law. If we essentially stick a big middle finger up to the international community, we're going to be the ones to suffer. International cooperation and cohesion is a lot more important than our (in the greater scheme of things) minor debt.
Original post by mercuryman

'An unnamed senior EU official told: the British slice of the debt would not be simply written off if Westminster invokes the much debated EU exit clause, Article 50.'

Oh look Russia Today.

The UK will have no problem paying any liabilities it owes. Like how its an unnamed source. Great bit of journalism.

Not even that much. When article 50 is invoked then the UK leaves within 2 years,
Juncker's fine vintage wine is not cheap you know...
Reply 10
Original post by barnetlad

You don't actually believe that, do you?

If you have a debt at a bank at then tell the bank "hey listen, we decided to leave you", do you think that the bank will give you a "favorable" deal because of that debt?

Sorry but what the f is that logic?
Original post by mercuryman

This is why I voted out, corrupt blackmailing EU!
Original post by ckfeister
This is why I voted out, corrupt blackmailing EU!

Why would you have a problem paying money you legitimately owe?

Blackmail involves making an unwarranted demand, which if owed, then it would clearly not be unwarrnated, juts a normal debt that they have a perfect right to collect.
Original post by 999tigger
Why would you have a problem paying money you legitimately owe?

Blackmail involves making an unwarranted demand, which if owed, then it would clearly not be unwarrnated, juts a normal debt that they have a perfect right to collect.

Why don't they just add it onto national debt, give it to us to handle instead of saying pay before leave.
Reply 14
Why don't they just add it onto national debt, give it to us to handle instead of saying pay before leave.

Why should they? Because it would be better for you?

Loooool, typical Brexit argument, only thought-through half way, completely lacking logic, and totally based on "those meanies are all bad and we need to do our thing we are so much better on our own".

You misunderstand the national debt is what we owe everyone.
A debt to the EU is what we owe the EU.

If the story is true (non verified from a questionable source) then they will just give us the bill and ask us to pay what we owe. What is your problem with that?
Original post by inhuman
Why should they? Because it would be better for you?

Loooool, typical Brexit argument, only thought-through half way, completely lacking logic, and totally based on "those meanies are all bad and we need to do our thing we are so much better on our own".

Well, why should we stay IN if we voted to LEAVE, you just want us to stay in and whats better for EU. If we stay in becuase of this debt it will be undemocratic, UK will massively become anti-EU and EU will split so quickly.

Send it to us and we pay it off with interest like other national debt we got, where the problem on their side?
Original post by 999tigger
You misunderstand the national debt is what we owe everyone.
A debt to the EU is what we owe the EU.

If the story is true (non verified from a questionable source) then they will just give us the bill and ask us to pay what we owe. What is your problem with that?

Nothing ^ read above
Nothing ^ read above

Why wouldnt the UK want to pay money it legitimately owesbbefore it keaves. Im sure I would prefer the money.

National debt may never be paid.

Its quite easy though becayse if the UK wont pay its debts, then it will just be blocked from the single market. The amount of money is small compared to the amount of money lost through being locked out.
Reply 19
Well, why should we stay IN if we voted to LEAVE, you just want us to stay in and whats better for EU. If we stay in becuase of this debt it will be undemocratic, UK will massively become anti-EU and EU will split so quickly.

Send it to us and we pay it off with interest like other national debt we got, where the problem on their side?

I don't want to stay in. I don't give a **** about the UK, in fact I am glad you voted out, because it means getting to watch how everything you imagined will fall to pieces.

And did you even read the article? It's about a funding plan agreed years ago. It's not about "staying in" or not, it's about having signed that contract and about British say research receiving money from the EU.

Quick Reply

Latest