The Student Room Group

Brexit block: EU official says €25bn debt means UK can’t leave

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ckfeister
What country are you then? Also, don't take pi** I got dyslexic I say than instead of then it looks the same to me, I sometimes say about instead of the.

I am sure you were diagnosed as dyslexic so that you don't have to feel bad about yourself. And since when is it dyslexia to say "got dyslexic" rather than "am dyslexic"?

Sounds to me you just write the way you talk, and that's plebeian.
Reply 41
Whats your country? Or I'm not replying and don't say " loool becuase you got nothing to say "

I asked you before, what does it matter in what country I live? Why should that change your reply?

You are basically coming out as racist here in the very open. It shouldn't matter to you where I live.

But I if you will actually tell me why you want to know, then I shall humor you and tell you. But I suspect you will lie and not say the real reason which is that you think Britain is one of the best and richest in Europe and if I said a country from the East or one that is doing poorly, you'd be jumping at it and saying I just want Britain to stay to pay, etc.
Original post by inhuman
I think one can excuse remainers to be "entitled" if being entitled means a desire to be part of a wider European community and not have that taken away by 80-90 IQ monkeys who read in the paper and see Boris Johnson spread lies and half truths. Of racist people that don't want foreigners in their country, yea I think in the 21st century one can and should feel "entitled" to not have to suffer such people anymore.

So leave then. Your attitude is bs, you have no interest in why anyone would vote leave beyond your own self-satisfied prejudice and what the BBC tells you.

What about a world community? What about the commonwealth or the anglosphere? That not white enough? What about not being able to trade with the East because the EU is such a bureaucratic economic basket case?

The racism thing is just a lying crock, a smear with no substance. Just because some racists may vote Brexit, doesn't mean Brexit is a racist cause, as I'm sure you well understand. So don't lie about everyone who voted that way. The EU is more of a white christian monoculture than we ever have been. We have always been the least racist most integrated nation in Europe-until problems with militant islam, which the world has. The EU compels a curry house to employ a Polish non-English speaker over an Indian English speaker. White EU applicants must take presidence over Black or Asian people from the commonwealth. Southern and Eastern Europe and even France suffer vastly worse racism than us, just ask black people whi lived there. I'm tired of this fake argument- Frankly I think there is a good deal of projection in it from people who favour the white European culture.
I don't, and am much more interested in historical and future links with the likes of India, HK and the Caribbean. Fact is we were more diverse than Europe, and frankly more interesting, we had greater political traditions too that made us a bastion of liberty and non-conformity. Europe was enforcing conformity, centralization, bureaucracy, and authoritarianism- they couldn't help it , it's their political culture, stemming from a combination of pig headed French and authoritarian German politics. You may not like it, but we are now more flexible, more able to address ills in our country, and more open to the world, beyond Europe, not less.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh and first past the post is the best system, voting for individual MP's counts. PR would mean more of a monoculture and less democracy, less variety in elected parties, this has happened where they use it. more centralized power too.
Reply 44
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
So leave then. Your attitude is bs, you have no interest in why anyone would vote leave beyond your own self-satisfied prejudice and what the BBC tells you.

What about a world community? What about the commonwealth or the anglosphere? That not white enough? What about not being able to trade with the East because the EU is such a bureaucratic economic basket case?

The racism thing is just a lying crock, a smear with no substance. The EU is more of a white christian monoculture than we ever have been. We have always been the least racist most integrated nation in Europe-until problems with militant islam, which the world has. The EU compels a curry house to employ a Polish non-English speaker over an Indian English speaker. White EU applicants must take presidence over Black or Asian people from the commonwealth. Southern and Eastern Europe and even France suffer vastly worse racism than us, just ask black people whi lived there. I'm tired of this fake argument- Frankly I think there is a good deal of projection in it from people who favour the white European culture.
I don't, and am much more interested in historical and future links with the likes of India, HK and the Caribbean. Fact is we were more diverse than Europe, and frankly more interesting, we had greater political traditions too that made us a bastion of liberty and non-conformity. Europe was enforcing conformity, centralization, bureaucracy, and authoritarianism- they couldn't help it , it's their political culture, stemming from a combination of pig headed French and authoritarian German politics. You may not like it, but we are now more flexible, more able to address ills in our country, and more open to the world, beyond Europe, not less.

SNAP

You are the butt of every joke outside of Britain. People laugh that you Leavers still think the Commonwealth means something and you are still a big player (if not an empire).

Because at the end of the day, you are just so butthurt that not even a century after the Nazis, Germany is a much name than you are.
1) 1-10 years

2) They said there was going to be a deep recession, than just " 1.7% in 2016, 0.7% in 2017, 1.7% in 2018 then 2.1% in 2019 " the irony.

3) Not a nationalist I just think EU is corrupt, so do people around here in my area where 60% voted leave, barely any because of immigrations, its because EU is brainwashing you all and the worst place to do undemocratic moves is in BRITAIN the heart of democracy.

I can't even.
Reply 46
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Oh and first past the post is the best system, voting for individual MP's counts. PR would mean more of a monoculture and less democracy, less variety in elected parties, this has happened where they use it. more centralized power too.

Yea, it's so much the best system people totally didn't want to get rid of it.

And lol you think voting for individual MPs only occurs in FPTP? Loooool.

Anyway, I have had enough reading moronic posts for one morning. You can keep talking to each other in your fantasy bubble. Good luck with that.
Original post by inhuman
SNAP

You are the butt of every joke outside of Britain. People laugh that you Leavers still think the Commonwealth means something and you are still a big player (if not an empire).

Because at the end of the day, you are just so butthurt that not even a century after the Nazis, Germany is a much name than you are.

PRSOM. These people must not even understand the commonwealth. People in their 70s have an excuse, but these people who are harping on about the common wealth are young and fresh out of education. How can they be so ignorant.

It's honestly brings me down, to know that the ignorant people in our country are the majority.
Reply 48
Original post by Twinpeaks
PRSOM. These people must not even understand the commonwealth. People in their 70s have an excuse, but these people who are harping on about the common wealth are young and fresh out of education. How can they be so ignorant.

It's honestly brings me down, to know that the ignorant people in our country are the majority.

Yup, I feel sad for you and my friends in the UK.
Original post by BobSausage
So we pay disproportionate amounts to other countries in the EU, way in excess of fairness and equality as 'we can afford it'. Then when it comes to us leaving they make us pay more, just to ensure that they aren't going to collapse as a manipulative and destructive dictatorship. Wow EU. What we really need is a politician who has the balls to say. We're not going to pay. We are no longer part of you. Goodbye EU. And start making history as an influential world power again.

I find it absolutely hilarious that you claim to support green.

Do you know how much the EU funds environmental sustainability and subsidises green energy?

Hilarious.
Looking at all the retards in this thread, I can positively say this country is gonna go to **** if this is our future generation of leaders.
So we pay disproportionate amounts to other countries in the EU, way in excess of fairness and equality as 'we can afford it'. Then when it comes to us leaving they make us pay more, just to ensure that they aren't going to collapse as a manipulative and destructive dictatorship. Wow EU. What we really need is a politician who has the balls to say. We're not going to pay. We are no longer part of you. Goodbye EU. And start making history as an influential world power again.

Not really. The UK will pay what it agreed to pay when it joined. Do you have a problem with the UK paying its debts? Why would you wnat to renege on what you agreed to?
Reply 52
I find it absolutely hilarious that you claim to support green.

Do you know how much the EU funds environmental sustainability and subsidises green energy?

Hilarious.

I was all for staying but the majority of Brits voted against staying, so we're going. I have accepted this and now understand that it's crucial we get the best deals possible. Not paying them 25 bil. would be a good start. As I mean that 25 bil could be spent on funding green projects in the UK not funding for a new motor way in Hungary or a shiny new Ferrari for the leader of the EU (they are massively over payed) . So whilst I was not initially for the Brexit, there is nothing we can do to prevent it, short of over-ruling a democracy, so we might as well accept it and tell them where they can go and shove their '25 bil. debt.
I was all for staying but the majority of Brits voted against staying, so we're going. I have accepted this and now understand that it's crucial we get the best deals possible. Not paying them 25 bil. would be a good start. As I mean that 25 bil could be spent on funding green projects in the UK not funding for a new motor way in Hungary or a shiny new Ferrari for the leader of the EU (they are massively over payed) . So whilst I was not initially for the Brexit, there is nothing we can do to prevent it, short of over-ruling a democracy, so we might as well accept it and tell them where they can go and shove their '25 bil. debt.

So even if we owe them we shouldnt pay?
They just retaliate by preventing access to the single market.

the UK will pay what it owes and no more..
Reply 54
Original post by 999tigger
Not really. The UK will pay what it agreed to pay when it joined. Do you have a problem with the UK paying its debts? Why would you wnat to renege on what you agreed to?

Please learn to type. I physically struggled to understand what you've written. It's not like you have to type fast, and you can read over it before you send it.

We didn't really agree when we joined to get into billions of Euros of debt to fund infrastructure of the poorer countries in the EU and bail out other countries like Greece and Spain, who have given us nothing in return. I say we've had enough of it. We're constantly giving and yes official figures now suggest as much as £136 million a week (that's after you subtract what they give us back). Now how is it that we still manage to have a debt to them? £7 billion a year we give them, for 40 years, and more when they demand it for nonsense. So we have 25 billion Euros debt to them? That must mean they have oooh £136 million*52*40 er... £282,800,000,000 debt back to us. Fair? Me thinks not. All this nonsense about us owing them really is just that we owe them negative amounts, we've bailed them out and continued to aimlessly invest without reward. So no. I think it's not quite what we signed up for.
Reply 55
Original post by 999tigger
So even if we owe them we shouldnt pay?
They just retaliate by preventing access to the single market.

the UK will pay what it owes and no more..

You were quick to write that now read my response to your last post see if that gets my point across?
Reply 56
Original post by mercuryman
https://www.rt.com/uk/354758-brexit-eu-debt-leave/

'An unnamed senior EU official told: the British slice of the debt would not be simply written off if Westminster invokes the much debated EU exit clause, Article 50.'

Don't give me your agg, I'm just here to view the drama. 🐍

I wouldn't pay it I would give them the option of taking it out of the membership fees we pay for the next two years or threaten them with the british empire
Original post by inhuman
Yup, I feel sad for you and my friends in the UK.

Ah, so you are not actually British...? Regardless, You have a sneering, poncy little Europrat tone anyhow. I think we'll be fine and won't miss the likes of you, thanks for your concern though, and showing how much you care by willing us to fail...we'll be better off without you who only want us as an offhsore colony to whinge about and try and degrade....sorry didn't work.

Regarding your thoughts on the commonwealth- I know Europrats have consistently done it down, mostly because it is bigger than anything they ever achieved and more interesting. I think you'll find that the economies of Canada, Hong Kong, India, Singapore and the rest have considerably more clout than the EU.

Germany is a bigger name than us? Not sure that's true at all, you sound rather biased and er....'butthurt', but I won't lose any sleep whatsoever, and I don't care about being in an authoritarian political union with them, desgined mostly to serve German banks.

Oh, and by the way, regarding first past the post and PR.

I'm well aware people vote for individual MP's with PR, but they don't get them, because national results hold sway.

Link between constituent and representative
It is generally accepted that a particular advantage of plurality of majoritarian voting systems, such as first-past-the-post, is the geographic link between representatives and their constituents.[2]:36[34]:65[35]:21 PR is criticized because, as its multiple member districts are larger, this link is weakened if not completely lost.

Typical self-satisified Europrat remainer. People like you can't tolerate Britain's greatness, and you can't take the fact it will be great again.
We are better of without you and independent. Europe is not a pathway to anything, and it isn't outward looking, the whole derision of the commonwealth and it's enthusiasts pathetic hypocritical chauvinism shows this. Our political traditions and unique history of liberty is superior. We defied the world.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yeah, because India, Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada, Australia, NZ, the Caribbean and many African nations combined, are not more important than the basket-case Eurozone, to be colonized by German banks are they?

Your ignorance in believing the EU is indispensible, and a progressive cause when it isn't, is shocking.
(edited 7 years ago)
Please learn to type. I physically struggled to understand what you've written. It's not like you have to type fast, and you can read over it before you send it.

We didn't really agree when we joined to get into billions of Euros of debt to fund infrastructure of the poorer countries in the EU and bail out other countries like Greece and Spain, who have given us nothing in return. I say we've had enough of it. We're constantly giving and yes official figures now suggest as much as £136 million a week (that's after you subtract what they give us back). Now how is it that we still manage to have a debt to them? £7 billion a year we give them, for 40 years, and more when they demand it for nonsense. So we have 25 billion Euros debt to them? That must mean they have oooh £136 million*52*40 er... £282,800,000,000 debt back to us. Fair? Me thinks not. All this nonsense about us owing them really is just that we owe them negative amounts, we've bailed them out and continued to aimlessly invest without reward. So no. I think it's not quite what we signed up for.

We agree to pay our share according to the treaties we sign and legislation we approve. We knew what these amounts would be beforehand and how they would be figured out.

Why do we still owe money? Because budgets and final calculations are complex and always take time to adjust. the story itself is unverified. The UK wont pe paying money it doesnt owe and will expect them to prove it, but if we do, then we should pay. The benefit to the UK has been being part of the EU and the advantageous trading relations we have enjoyed and prospered on. Membership fees have veen a small amount compared to the amount of trade transacted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending