Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one shared their results so far?

Or is it only visible once you input your results? lol, silly me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 123ash
No one shared their results so far?

Or is it only visible once you input your results? lol, silly me

Or you can click on view poll results in the bottom corner if you haven't taken the test yet
I'll be here on the 15th! :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by pandaronium
Or you can click on view poll results in the bottom corner if you haven't taken the test yet

:embarrassed:*

Average is high this year so far. :redface:*
Reply 5
Original post by mariapops
Averages look higher than last year, in my opinion, all though of course it will be more clear by the end of the testing time frame. Just a word of advice, I did my ukcat last year and would recommend trying to get an indication of how you have done relative to others because for 2014 entry, there was an inflation of averages so everyone thought they did really well but If you apply to ukcat heavy unis, they will look at those who have the highest scores out of the whole cohort. Good lucky everyone!

Hopefully the picture becomes clearer by the end of this poll :smile:
Original post by G.name
Early days indeed. For one, 25 people is a very small sample; and two, candidates who sit their test earlier tend to do better anyway. I predict they will rise, though not significantly.

candidates who sit earlier tend to better? how comes?
Original post by mariapops
Averages look higher than last year, in my opinion, all though of course it will be more clear by the end of the testing time frame. Just a word of advice, I did my ukcat last year and would recommend trying to get an indication of how you have done relative to others because for 2014 entry, there was an inflation of averages so everyone thought they did really well but If you apply to ukcat heavy unis, they will look at those who have the highest scores out of the whole cohort. Good lucky everyone!

This is true but TSR often has a ridiculous average for the UKCAT for many reasons:
1) the population of students on TSR generally performs above average in comparison to the whole cohort taking the test, mainly because it is the nature of the people who are on this site (try very hard, really want to do well, get a lot of help from the forums which can aid them at getting a higher score etc.)
2) People are more likely to share good scores than low scores, hence your likely to get 2 good scores for every 1 average or below average score - thus pushing the average up.
3) People lie on TSR, there are a lot of trolls about who think its funny to terrorise candidates.

Take this into account and hence take this forum with a pinch of salt, the UKCAT deciles are much much better in terms of a representation of where everyone in the country sits.
Can I also add its probably a better idea to do the scores from 600-800 in 25 point intervals, you have done that for above 700 yet there are only 2 groups for 600-700, when in fact 630 is usually around average!! hence most people score within 600-700! This may make it a bit more representative.
Reply 9
Original post by Natalierm2707
Can I also add its probably a better idea to do the scores from 600-800 in 25 point intervals, you have done that for above 700 yet there are only 2 groups for 600-700, when in fact 630 is usually around average!! hence most people score within 600-700! This may make it a bit more representative.

Sorry about that :/

I'll try to rectify that problem if it is possible
Original post by saran23
Sorry about that :/

I'll try to rectify that problem if it is possible

Dont worry about it to much if it cannot be changed, but its a little mis-represented, ideally for any poll the intervals should be equal between each group to make the results more representative, if not it can really screw up the data (hope that makes sense).
Reply 11
This is true but TSR often has a ridiculous average for the UKCAT for many reasons:
1) the population of students on TSR generally performs above average in comparison to the whole cohort taking the test, mainly because it is the nature of the people who are on this site (try very hard, really want to do well, get a lot of help from the forums which can aid them at getting a higher score etc.)
2) People are more likely to share good scores than low scores, hence your likely to get 2 good scores for every 1 average or below average score - thus pushing the average up.
3) People lie on TSR, there are a lot of trolls about who think its funny to terrorise candidates.

Take this into account and hence take this forum with a pinch of salt, the UKCAT deciles are much much better in terms of a representation of where everyone in the country sits.

2 I agree with. Not your ratio though. There's no way of knowing that accurately; it may be 2 to 1, 1.2 to 1, or even 200 to 1. You see how variable that is. So I think we shouldn't make arbitrary numbers to console ourselves.

And 3, that's surely a minority. How many trolls should you find in a medicine-specific log? Not many I think.

Also, all this worry about scores shouldn't matter too much. Every one was subjected to the same, sort of, examination. The UKCAT is a discriminant.
Original post by G.name
2 I agree with. Not your ratio though. There's no way of knowing that accurately; it may be 2 to 1, 1.2 to 1, or even 200 to 1. You see how variable that is. So I think we shouldn't make arbitrary numbers to console ourselves.

And 3, that's surely a minority. How many trolls should you find in a medicine-specific log? Not many I think.

Also, all this worry about scores shouldn't matter too much. Every one was subjected to the same, sort of, examination. The UKCAT is a discriminant.

Woah dont shoot the messenger, just trying to prevent people panicking over their score and making bad decisions (something a lot of us now med students did during our applications and regret).

The ratio isnt based on anything, it was just proving a point, and you would not believe how many trolls i have encountered in the medicine forums over the past 3 years (its ridiculous that people come on here specifically to troll)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Woah dont shoot the messenger, just trying to prevent people panicking over their score and making bad decisions (something a lot of us now med students did during our applications and regret).

The ratio isnt based on anything, it was just proving a point, and you would not believe how many trolls i have encountered in the medicine forums over the past 3 years (its ridiculous that people come on here specifically to troll)

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol, I'm sorry if you found me abrasive. I was just stating facts, I thought.

May I ask what Medical School you're at? And how you're finding it?

If you'd like to have a conversation about that, just PM me; it would be nice to hear your experience. Not to mention insightful.
Original post by G.name
lol, I'm sorry if you found me abrasive. I was just stating facts, I thought.

May I ask what Medical School you're at? And how you're finding it?

If you'd like to have a conversation about that, just PM me; it would be nice to hear your experience. Not to mention insightful.

I will PM you as not to take this thread off topic.

Dont worry about it, I just know what i felt like when one of these polls arose in my year, and it drove me to think my 675 UKCAT was the end of the world and hence i applied to the wrong schools, just would hate for someone to make the same mistake thats all xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I will PM you as not to take this thread off topic.

Dont worry about it, I just know what i felt like when one of these polls arose in my year, and it drove me to think my 675 UKCAT was the end of the world and hence i applied to the wrong schools, just would hate for someone to make the same mistake thats all xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

So did you get offers with 675, because I'd feel it's game over this year if my score is lower than 730. This is like you said biased on forum comments etc..

I feel i'm stressing whilst preparing, which isn't helping. Are you a grad or Undergrad medical student?

Thanks*
Original post by 123ash
So did you get offers with 675, because I'd feel it's game over this year if my score is lower than 730. This is like you said biased on forum comments etc..

I feel i'm stressing whilst preparing, which isn't helping. Are you a grad or Undergrad medical student?

Thanks*

Im an undergrad medical student at Cardiff, and yes I got my cardiff offer with 675, but thats because cardiff really dont use the UKCAT.

Looking back on it now I would have gotten interview at Kings, SGUL, Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester etc. which all use the UKCAT pretty heavily, but like most I was so scared by these warped averages on the forums and hesitated and applied to personal statement heavy unis. I was the year after the ridiculous inflation in UKCAT scores on TSR and so I thought anything under 700 was poor. But no way, anything above 630 is decent, Anything above 650 is good, anything above 675 is great and anything above 700 is outstanding.

You are not out of the game at all unless your UKCAT is in the 500s, then because most schools use the UKCAT nowadays it would mean a very risky application to a lot of schools.
Reply 17
Im an undergrad medical student at Cardiff, and yes I got my cardiff offer with 675, but thats because cardiff really dont use the UKCAT.

Looking back on it now I would have gotten interview at Kings, SGUL, Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester etc. which all use the UKCAT pretty heavily, but like most I was so scared by these warped averages on the forums and hesitated and applied to personal statement heavy unis. I was the year after the ridiculous inflation in UKCAT scores on TSR and so I thought anything under 700 was poor. But no way, anything above 630 is decent, Anything above 650 is good, anything above 675 is great and anything above 700 is outstanding.

You are not out of the game at all unless your UKCAT is in the 500s, then because most schools use the UKCAT nowadays it would mean a very risky application to a lot of schools.

Firstly, well done and many congrats.

Yes but your an undergrad medicine student, so I can see what you mean, For undergrad 675 would be a very good score. The cut off is much lower, i.e. the entry requirement. For grad entry medicine the cut off is higher. I'm a grad entry*:frown:
Original post by 123ash
Firstly, well done and many congrats.

Yes but your an undergrad medicine student, so I can see what you mean, For undergrad 675 would be a very good score. The cut off is much lower, i.e. the entry requirement. For grad entry medicine the cut off is higher. I'm a grad entry*:frown:

I do have to admit 700 is around the aim for graduates that is just purely due to competition. Have you taken the GAMSAT though?
Reply 19
I do have to admit 700 is around the aim for graduates that is just purely due to competition. Have you taken the GAMSAT though?

700 is OK, but 730 or above is much more of a comfortable score. Yes the competition is high, and everyone does so well in the test.

This is my 1st year. GAMSAT isn't until Mid sept. I know being offered any medical school is brilliant, but my heart really lies in UKCAT Uni's.

Anyways, I'll give it my best, and take it from there. There's always a next time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending