The Student Room Group

I got a lump in my breast... Is it Breast Cancer

I've just turned 17 in June. Ever since yr 10 I had this lump in my breast. At first I had lumps in both breasts but now I only have one lump in my left breast. I'm going to my GP for an appointment. Do you think it's too late? I've looked at the signs and symptoms of breast cancer and the most common sign is a lump so I am really worried.
Reply 1
Only one in ten are actually cancer most likely a breast cyst I had one before and their very common is it painful ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Statistically it's very unlikely. You're doing the right thing getting it checked. My gf was recently referred to the breast clinic after finding a lump. After a few tests (non-invasive) she got the all clear. Try not to worry!
Reply 3
Original post by Hollyht
Only one in ten are actually cancer most likely a breast cyst I had one before and their very common is it painful ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It wasn't that painful but I did experience some pain around the nipple area. I'm just really worried.
You need to make an appointment with your GP to have a checkup. It's a question anyone can answer here although it's nice of people to respond and give moral support.
Off to the doc with you.X
Reply 5
Is there a possibility it is a nipple?

Spoiler

Seriously though:
It's never too late to visit a Doctor, (unless you're dead, which of course is a sign there's something wrong)
If it is cancer (unlikely but if it is) then it might prolong the treatment as you've had it for a while, but tumours don't just disappear, and if you had one in one side that did disappear then it is likely you haven't got cancer. :smile: Hope you get on OK.
Reply 6
Just visit a doctor and find out.
Reply 7
Asking on here is worse than useless. The most helpful thing you'll get is a coronary from the scare mongering. Go to your GP and possibly get a mammogram like a sensible person.
Original post by Anonymous
I've just turned 17 in June. Ever since yr 10 I had this lump in my breast. At first I had lumps in both breasts but now I only have one lump in my left breast. I'm going to my GP for an appointment. Do you think it's too late? I've looked at the signs and symptoms of breast cancer and the most common sign is a lump so I am really worried.

If it was in both, it could just be normal breast tissue and the changes due to you developing. Obviously see your GP, but the chances of it being cancer are slim. Of course it's not too late to get checked. A lump can mean many many different things, not just cancer. There's no way for a forum to know, unfortunately, so just hang in there until you can see your doctor. Try not to worry yourself about it for now
I think because you have had it for some time and i'm assuming [although you don't say] that it has all this time stayed the same ,not changed shape or size or anything, then it is nothing to worry about. But please, DO go and see your doctor anyway. My son is 19. I have told him to check his testicles on a regular basis since the age of 14 and he has done. A few weeks ago he felt a lump. I made an appointment for him to see his GP. The GP felt the same lump. He has had an ultrasound scan and gets the results in a fortnight. But for the past two weeks he hasn't been able to feel the lump anymore. Hopefully it will be nothing more than a cyst. But I told him fair play to him for keeping up with a regular "feel" down there, to make sure there is nothing that seems different. It's really important for both males and females to check themselves regularly ,from their teens onwards. Don't just think you don't need to start checking yourselves until you're in your forties. Start doing it now.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest