The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Multiply both sides by 3, then square root both sides.
Reply 681
Original post by RDKGames
Multiply both sides by 3, then square root both sides.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would indeed be the radius, but you should get used to working like this in the exams:

27=13r227=\frac{1}{3}r^2 (27 comes from 270 over 10 as you might expect)
81=r2\rightarrow 81=r^2
9=r\rightarrow 9=r
Reply 683
That would indeed be the radius, but you should get used to working like this in the exams:

27=13r227=\frac{1}{3}r^2 (27 comes from 270 over 10 as you might expect)
81=r2\rightarrow 81=r^2
9=r\rightarrow 9=r

Yepp

Then

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but my layout would be clearer for the examiner/whoever is marking it as it shows logical progression to get to r and convinces them that its value is 9. You can move on nonetheless :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 685
Yes, but my layout would be better for the examiner/whoever is marking it. You can move on nonetheless :smile:

Yepp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 686
Original post by B_9710
1cosx dx. \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\cos x } \ dx.

sorry im at work so quick typing this.

1/Cosx dx. This is a standard integral but you can use the quotient rule to prove it. This is just workings but if you dont get any part of it then ask.

1/Cosx dx = ((Cosx)(0) - (1)(-Sinx)) / (Cosx)^2 +C

= Sinx / Cos^2x +C

= (Sinx /Cosx)*(1/Cosx) +C

=SecxTanx +C

The question asks you for the total volume though, not just finding the radius.
Original post by TSRPAV

1/Cosx dx. This is a standard integral but you can use the quotient rule to prove it. This is just workings but if you dont get any part of it then ask.

= Sinx / Cos^2x +C

=SecxTanx +C

Integrate, not differentiate. :smile:
Original post by TSRPAV

= Sinx / Cos^2x +C

=SecxTanx +C

Wrong.
Wrong.

Can you do it?
Original post by B_9710
Can you do it?

Indeed, but only because I remember what to multiply the integral by. If I didn't, I would probably struggle without help.
Indeed, but only because I remember what to multiply the integral by. If I didn't, I would probably struggle without help.

There's a very neat substitution but I won't say it and give it away (it may be quite obvious).
Reply 693
Original post by B_9710
Integrate, not differentiate. :smile:

Sorry I'm hangover and at work so my brain no work ahah yeah but all you do is 1/cosx = secx and then use data sheet as its on there,the proof is difficultimage.png
Original post by TSRPAV
Sorry I'm hangover and at work so my brain no work ahah yeah but all you do is 1/cosx = secx and then use data sheet as its on there,the proof is difficultimage.png

That's what I was asking for, the proof.
Reply 695

So the radius is 9?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
So the radius is 9?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes

Why are you working out the volume of the cone if you're given it in the question? Also that wouldn't give you the right volume anyway because 92189^2 \not= 18 and not to mention you're missing π\pi
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 699
Why are you working out the volume of the cone if you're given it in the question? Also that wouldn't give you the right volume anyway because 92189^2 \not= 18 and not to mention you're missing π\pi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest