The Student Room Group

The fibs your teacher told you in school [golden thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jasminglynne
my form tutor spent weeks saying she couldnt wait to get rid of us etc. etc. then on our last day she cried :colonhash:

It was a known fact that our English teacher hated us and we hated her back yet on the last lesson she gave everyone cakes and a card saying good luck like wtf ; everyone was baffled
Original post by SophFlorence
In primary school, we got told that you mustn't start a sentence with 'because'. GCSE level teacher: "Try mixing up your sentence starters; for example, start with the connective 'because'. Student: "But Sir, in primary school we got told you can't start a sentence with 'because'. Teacher: "Well, they were lying". :biggrin:

In year 10, my geography teacher used to pick on me at least once a lesson. This time, he asked me to answer a question about freeze-thaw weathering (basically to describe the process) and I started my sentence with "because" since it was verbal feedback. As soon as I said "because" he cut me off with "ah! you can't start a sentence with because. when you're in an exam...blah blah blah" I ended up having to repeat my answer 4 times EVEN THOUGH IT WAS GEOGRAPHICALLY CORRECT, all because I started with "because" smh
(edited 7 years ago)
My English teacher always told me I was going to be a writer or a Journalist when I left school. Sure showed her :u:
Taking GCSE French means you will get a trip to France

Taking A-level biology means you will get a trip to the Eden project

I will come in to see you all on results day

I will treat you to Krispy kreme's if you do well in your exams

Universities are looking for excellent attendence at secondary and sixth form

~ this one i knew was a lie: my teacher warns me that i need to turn up on time or i will get a detention, so i tell him i dont care because a detention is only a punishment if I feel it is, and i dont really care. Im cool with staying after school for an hour or whatever. So he goes and tells me that universities get told about our detentions and wont accept me. I nearly facepalmed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
'You'll need this when you grow up'

Every maths teacher I have ever had on a smorgasbord of useless nonsense
Original post by Divine Turnip

Universities are looking for excellent attendence at secondary and sixth form
Posted from TSR Mobile

My attendance at college was 78% but I swear if I'd known how much it didn't matter it would have been even less.
Original post by Fenice
'You'll need this when you grow up'

Every maths teacher I have ever had on a smorgasbord of useless nonsense

You won't need it stacking shelves, but someone, somewhere doing an important job will. :smile:
"I will mark your work"

if you revise and work hard, your grades will improve

that BTECs are poop

uni is the best and only option worth considering
I don't know if someone's mentioned these already:

Your blood is blue :rofl:
There's a 'dark room' for bad kids, with a monster in there.
If you write with ball-points or gel, you'll have sloppy handwriting.
This question is a 'sure' question i.e. it WILL feature on the exam paper. (Unless you set it, how do you know :angry: )
Original post by fefssdf
Teachers always promise sweets but never deliver or they say things like if you win you get a prize and then the prize ends up being ' the pride of winning '

I have a huge tub of sweets in my desk now! I will never tell such fibs again.
Reply 190
We were told that clouds were gasses when in fact they are liquids. Also that strawBerries are berries and bananas are not when in fact it's the other way round
Original post by Fox Corner
This is a golden thread. Join in with the discussion before 26 August 2016 to be in with the chance of winning an iPad air 2!

I remember being in reception, so only about 4 or 5, and our teacher told us that a rocket was going to the moon that day and if we worked really really quietly we'd be able to hear it take-off..

It totally worked. We were silent for the whole day, but never did hear that rocket go off.

What are the fibs your teachers told you at school to get you to be quiet, or stop asking silly questions?

Other golden threads:

Spoiler

I used to believe my teacher genuinely had eyes in the back of her head. She was terrifying and i figured it was definitely possible
Original post by hellodave5
That the world is our oyster :'(
#thecakeisalie

awesome portal reference. Love it!
"If you won't be quiet, I'll take your pen away from you and you'll have to write in pencil until Year 6."

Classic.

"How well you do in the SATs exams is really important."

"The school has a friendly, family atmosphere."

"The Sixth Form teachers are experts at their subjects."

"We take lab safety seriously."

"We'll make sure everyone has their Personal Statement done by the end of October".

"It will be quiet enough for you to study during free periods."

"One day there was this lad James. He was a good lad - always getting As and A*s. But he wouldn't stop swinging on his chair. One day, he swung too far, smashed open the back of his head on the wall and that was the end of him. So stop swinging on your chair."

"I had a lad named Big Phil in my PE class. Good lad - captain of the school's basketball team. One day he forgot to take off his ring before a match. He went up to try and shoot, got his ring caught in the hoop and ripped his whole hand off. So take off all your jewellery now."
Original post by Student403
"One day there was this lad James. He was a good lad - always getting As and A*s. But he wouldn't stop swinging on his chair. One day, he swung too far, smashed open the back of his head on the wall and that was the end of him. So stop swinging on your chair."

I sprained my neck doing that :tongue:
Original post by claireestelle
I sprained my neck doing that :tongue:

I imagine that's the worst that can happen - certainly not smashing open your head :lol:
Original post by Student403
I imagine that's the worst that can happen - certainly not smashing open your head :lol:

Probably was the worst, I spent a week on the sofa as I wasn't supposed to lift my head up too much. Pretty annoying as a kid so I never did it again after that.
When I was in reception, we used to sing songs in assembly like most children do at that age. One of the song we sung was called 'He's got the whole world in his hands' and as we were walking out we were trying to work out who came up with that song and the teacher said that they had come up with that song! He also started listing off other songs we had sung in assembly and claimed to have made them up too. Of course we believed him, it only dawned on me when I was older that he lied.

Quick Reply

Latest