The Student Room Group

Maths year 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TSRPAV

God forbid your notation. What the hell is dydx(1cosx).dx\frac{dy}{dx}(\frac{1}{cosx}) .dx even supposed to mean? Where's the y? Just no.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
Ok, this is the easiest way but we will try another.
Find cosec x dx \displaystyle \int \text{cosec } x \ dx using the substitution t=tan(12x) t=\tan (\frac{1}{2}x) .

You're slowly turning a Y10 thread into a Y13 one.
Original post by RDKGames
You're slowly turning a Y10 thread into a Y13 one.

Fine. I will delete my posts. You as well though, you posted an FP4 question yesterday.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by B_9710
Fine. I will delete my posts. You as well though, you posted an FP4 question yesterday.

You didn't have to delete them; just stop posting more, there are other threads where challenging problems can be discussed.
Reply 724
You didn't have to delete them; just stop posting more, there are other threads where challenging problems can be discussed.

So then? :/

This was so Challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 725
God forbid your notation. What the hell is dydx(1cosx).dx\frac{dy}{dx}(\frac{1}{cosx}) .dx even supposed to mean? Where's the y? Just no.

yeah sorry i always just write dy/dx but to make it clear what i was doing i wrote d(1/cosx)/dx but i always write dy out of habbit cos im lazy and prefer just doing dy/dx
Original post by z_o_e
So then? :/

This was so Challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Likewise with the bottom row. It wouldn't make sense for 15x-6 to be 9x because 6 is not a multiple of x.

Think of it this way:
15x-6x would be 9x because you can always factor out an x from both 15 and 6, leaving you with x(15-6) where you can just take 6 away from 15 as they are not multiples of x anymore, thus leaving you with 9x.
For 15x-6, you cannot factor out any x's because one has it and one doesn't so it wouldn't make sense.

This is really basic, you'll get used to this pretty fast.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 727
Likewise with the bottom row. It wouldn't make sense for 15x-6 to be 9x because 6 is not a multiple of x.

Think of it this way:
15x-6x would be 9x because you can always factor out an x from both 15 and 6, leaving you with x(15-6) where you can just take 6 away from 15 as they are not multiples of x anymore, thus leaving you with 9x.
For 15x-6, you cannot factor out any x's because one has it and one doesn't so it wouldn't make sense.

This is really basic, you'll get used to this pretty fast.

This was the last question of this past paper and can you give a few examples on these type of questions after we've found the answer to this xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRPAV
yeah sorry i always just write dy/dx but to make it clear what i was doing i wrote d(1/cosx)/dx but i always write dy out of habbit cos im lazy and prefer just doing dy/dx

y would need to be defined in order to use dy, but I'll let you off the hook. :P
Reply 729
So is the 9x correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
This was the last question of this past paper and can you give a few examples on these type of questions after we've found the answer to this xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll give you some quadratics to work with, sure.

It's 15x-6, doesn't get any simpler than that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 731
I'll give you some quadratics to work with, sure.

It's 15x-6, doesn't get any simpler than that.

What's the next step :frown:

I found this the hardest! Feel like giving up on this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
What's the next step :frown:

I found this the hardest! Feel like giving up on this question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem, its only a matter of multiplying out the brackets and adding. Here's the full solution to show you what they want:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470509966.011648.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 733
No problem, its only a matter of multiplying out the brackets and adding. Here's the full solution to show you what they want:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1470509966.011648.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:)

Can you give me a few questions to work on as you might be able to tell from the questions what part I'm weak on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Thank you :smile:)

Can you give me a few questions to work on as you might be able to tell from the questions what part I'm weak on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're pretty good with the angles at this point, I only see that you can improve perhaps on volumes of shapes and expanding brackets. Let's do a similar one just slightly easier as not all sides are in terms of x:
Q26.PNG
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 735
I think you're pretty good with the angles at this point, I only see that you can improve perhaps on volumes of shapes and expanding brackets. Let's do a similar one just slightly easier as not all sides are in terms of x:
Q26.PNG

so first I split the shape in two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
so first I split the shape in two.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, now label the sides of each rectangle.
Reply 737
Yep, now label the sides of each rectangle.

But I don't know the sides :colondollar:

Like 15 - X will give me the bottom side but I don't know how to find X.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
But I don't know the sides :colondollar:

Like 15 - X will give me the bottom side but I don't know how to find X.

Posted from TSR Mobile

15-x will indeed give you the bottom side, use it. Don't worry about x as we will find it at the very end. This question firstly wants us to get the area of the whole shape in terms of x before we solve for it. :smile:
Reply 739
15-x will indeed give you the bottom side, use it. Don't worry about x as we will find it at the very end. This question firstly wants us to get the area of the whole shape in terms of x before we solve for it. :smile:

How's this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest