The Student Room Group

Is it compulsory to take GCSE maths...

Hey guys,

I'm doing my GCSE's and i wanted to know if it is compulsory to take Maths at GCSE's if i'm planning to go do a Foundation program after my GCSE's,
So will the universities ask for Maths at GCSE or will they only look at my Foundation studies results? :frown:
I thought taking GCSE Maths was compulsory anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm from Scotland and aren't aware of England's curriculum.
Reply 2
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I thought taking GCSE Maths was compulsory anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm from Scotland and aren't aware of England's curriculum.

I dont know either as i'm doing GCSE privately at British Council and they let me pick any subjects that i want.
Reply 3
Thankfully, yes.
I would recommend everyone has at least a C in GSCE Maths...
Original post by Hanna423
I dont know either as i'm doing GCSE privately at British Council and they let me pick any subjects that i want.

I would highly recommend you pick GCSE Maths, GCSE English and at least one GCSE science as those are the core subjects most universities/courses look for.
Even if you don't want to go to university, some employers look for a C in English and Maths.
Original post by Hanna423
Hey guys,

I'm doing my GCSE's and i wanted to know if it is compulsory to take Maths at GCSE's if i'm planning to go do a Foundation program after my GCSE's,
So will the universities ask for Maths at GCSE or will they only look at my Foundation studies results? :frown:

I thought it was literally a legal requirement to take GCSE Maths... Don't you have to take it until you're 18 until you pass...?

Guess I was wrong lol.
Original post by romansholiday
I thought it was literally a legal requirement to take GCSE Maths... Don't you have to take it until you're 18 until you pass...?

Guess I was wrong lol.

Yes that's correct. Just did some research and this information on the BBC website.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Yes that's correct. Just did some research and this information on the BBC website.

You would literally go no where in life without a GCSE Maths I don't understand this thread lmao.

Quick Reply