The Student Room Group

Factor that had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain

For my transition work into History A-Level, I'm supposed to write an essay on the following question:

“Which person or event do you think had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain in the period 1945-2007?”

I just wanted to ask for some suggestions of factors so that I can read up on them and know where to start. Thanks!
Bevan and the founding of the NHS after WW2 maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneurin_Bevan
Original post by JamesN88
Bevan and the founding of the NHS after WW2 maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneurin_Bevan

Ah - thanks! :biggrin:
The Suez crisis, maybe. I remember watching a documentary about this and apparently towards the end of this is when Britain woke up and realised we weren't an empire any more.
Creation of the welfare state under Attlee.

Heath taking us in to the EEC.

Thatcher's time as PM especially policies on trade unions and housing.
The decline of the British empire
Original post by !!mentor!!
The Suez crisis, maybe. I remember watching a documentary about this and apparently towards the end of this is when Britain woke up and realised we weren't an empire any more.

Original post by MagicNMedicine
Creation of the welfare state under Attlee.Heath taking us in to the EEC.Thatcher's time as PM especially policies on trade unions and housing.

Original post by BasicMistake
The decline of the British empire

Original post by cherryblossoming
For my transition work into History A-Level, I'm supposed to write an essay on the following question:

“Which person or event do you think had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain in the period 1945-2007?”

I just wanted to ask for some suggestions of factors so that I can read up on them and know where to start. Thanks!

Two books that are really good for this kind of stuff:

Andrew Marr: A History of Modern Britain
Peter Hennessy: The Prime Minister - the Office and its Holders since 1945
Original post by cherryblossoming

Margaret Thatcher has shaped post-World War II modern Britain the most. Thatcher’s actions, policies, and beliefs resulted in a decisive reversal of post-1945 political consensus on aspects such as Keynesianism, nationalized industry, the welfare state, and close economic regulation. Instead, Thatcher promoted privatization, which has become her enduring legacy, as well as deregulation and flexible labor markets. Her efforts in establishing an enterprise society in Britain has had lasting impacts to date, with Thatcherism being the most pertinent force to shape modern Britain since 1945
Original post by Kendrik Lamar
Margaret Thatcher has shaped post-World War II modern Britain the most. Thatcher’s actions, policies, and beliefs resulted in a decisive reversal of post-1945 political consensus on aspects such as Keynesianism, nationalized industry, the welfare state, and close economic regulation. Instead, Thatcher promoted privatization, which has become her enduring legacy, as well as deregulation and flexible labor markets. Her efforts in establishing an enterprise society in Britain has had lasting impacts to date, with Thatcherism being the most pertinent force to shape modern Britain since 1945

Thanks! - will deffo look into that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending