The Student Room Group

How fluent do you need to be to succeed in doing a language at a level?

I'm doing German next year and am wondering if knowing the language well is important at A level, at gcse it seemed very easy to get high grades with only a vague knowledge of the language. How have people who have done/are doing a language at as/a2 level found it? do you find you need near fluency to do very well? this won't change my decision to do german i'm just interested in how good you need to be at the language to do well :smile:
Reply 1
You do not need to be fluent in order to succeed in A-level languages,but just work hard as it becomes quite easy once you understand the examiners marking criteria. Only an extreme minority of people are able to become fluent (as it requires twice the amount of work and extra practice) in the language they study at A-level
Original post by SabakuKyuu
A-level in any foreign language is hard, but you'll probably start off from around a B-grade GCSE level. However, from what my friends have told me, the course is really fast-paced, so you'll find yourself in October doing complex stuff, which weren't even mentioned at GCSE. To learn vocabulary I recommend duolingo, I'm using in for learning Deutsch as well :-D It's free, and very useful 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for responding! that sounds alright, and i already use duolingo - i love it!!
Original post by kkboyk
You do not need to be fluent in order to succeed in A-level languages,but just work hard as it becomes quite easy once you understand the examiners marking criteria. Only an extreme minority of people are able to become fluent (as it requires twice the amount of work and extra practice) in the language they study at A-level

thanks! i was wondering if it was a case of needing to know the language or needing to know how the exam is marked

Quick Reply

Latest