The Student Room Group

How big is the jump between AS and A2?

Very, very worried. D:

Scroll to see replies

which subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by glad-he-ate-her
which subjects?

Geography (Edexcel), Govt+Politics (Edexcel), Psychology (AQA) and Biology (OCR- but think I did really bad so I might end up dropping this..)

what do you think ..
Reply 3
Original post by IRoranth
Geography (Edexcel), Govt+Politics (Edexcel), Psychology (AQA) and Biology (OCR- but think I did really bad so I might end up dropping this..)

what do you think ..

OCR Biology was terrible! Most likely dropping that myself. It's one of those exams where you drop silly marks, so then you stress if you've done enough to pass, which is irritating. Btw, did you not get a chance to look at the content or questions styles for A2? In my sixthform we continued the course, until the hols, so we got a good insight as to how it will be next year.
I didn't find the jump between AS and A2 to be too bad, except in Geography (WJEC). We went from writing 10 and 15 mark essays in AS exams to 25 mark essays in A2 exams, and the content became noticeably more complex.

However, try not to worry about the jump between AS and A2! The more you worry about it, the harder the work will seem! Just make sure to ask for help if you don't understand something, and stay on top of your work and revision. You'll be fine! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Hassanh
OCR Biology was terrible! Most likely dropping that myself. It's one of those exams where you drop silly marks, so then you stress if you've done enough to pass, which is irritating. Btw, did you not get a chance to look at the content or questions styles for A2? In my sixthform we continued the course, until the hols, so we got a good insight as to how it will be next year.

Oh my goddddd, I know- it was a ridiculous paper. We did look at the new A2 content, which was OK? I think? I feel like OCR's content is ok, it's just the exams they always muck up? I just really dislike their exam style, which puts me off from revising their specification too lol. Plus, I don't know if we got any good insight, cuz my teacher was ill for the last few weeks back at school.. so we got our other crappy bio teacher to explain the new course. And freak us out since she started googling answers to questions a teacher should know. Lol.
Reply 6
Original post by Leviathan1741
I didn't find the jump between AS and A2 to be too bad, except in Geography (WJEC). We went from writing 10 and 15 mark essays in AS exams to 25 mark essays in A2 exams, and the content became noticeably more complex.

However, try not to worry about the jump between AS and A2! The more you worry about it, the harder the work will seem! Just make sure to ask for help if you don't understand something, and stay on top of your work and revision. You'll be fine! :h:

Thanks for your advice, I wish I was doing WJEC! For edexcel we have to do a 70 mark project, as well as continue the normal course alongside. This is why I'm so worried D:
Thanks for your advice, I wish I was doing WJEC! For edexcel we have to do a 70 mark project, as well as continue the normal course alongside. This is why I'm so worried D:

You're welcome! Gosh, that does sound difficult!

Good luck with everything though! :h:
Reply 8
Oh my goddddd, I know- it was a ridiculous paper. We did look at the new A2 content, which was OK? I think? I feel like OCR's content is ok, it's just the exams they always muck up? I just really dislike their exam style, which puts me off from revising their specification too lol. Plus, I don't know if we got any good insight, cuz my teacher was ill for the last few weeks back at school.. so we got our other crappy bio teacher to explain the new course. And freak us out since she started googling answers to questions a teacher should know. Lol.

Considering the brightest person in my year didn't like the paper I'm going to assume it was hated across the country :frown: Their exam style is atrocious! I totally get you with the new course for Bio, I'm certain I'm dropping it. I only picked it because it was easy at GCSE and I aced it then. Considering I prefer English based subjects, and the maths in the exam has probably ruined me, I should've picked something else.
Can anyone describe the jump for Maths, Physics and Chemistry?
Reply 10

Trust me you don't. You only get examined on around 15-20% of the course in the G3 paper and maybe 30% of it in the G4 paper... But to answer your original point, as the other user said, the jump between AS and A2 Geography was massive for WJEC, and I've heard from people on the course from other exam boards it's the same. Although I'm sure if you keep on top of the workload from day 1 you'll be fine.
Reply 11
Original post by ColossalAtom
Can anyone describe the jump for Maths, Physics and Chemistry?

Hi, so I have a lot of friends who picked these subjects. Chemistry by far is the biggest jump, like seriously it's extremely difficult from what I've heard. Physics is also very hard, but seems more manageable. Whereas, maths is a mix, some is really hard and other bits are easier. But honestly, these are some tough subjects and you genuinely need to be interested in them, or else you'll be stressed out a lot!
Reply 12
Original post by Hassanh
Considering the brightest person in my year didn't like the paper I'm going to assume it was hated across the country :frown: Their exam style is atrocious! I totally get you with the new course for Bio, I'm certain I'm dropping it. I only picked it because it was easy at GCSE and I aced it then. Considering I prefer English based subjects, and the maths in the exam has probably ruined me, I should've picked something else.

THIS IS MEEEEE, THE MATHS KILLED ME, LOL. Why am i laughing, I should be crying :'( I'm exactly the same. Everything is screwed for bio lool.

Original post by Kaneki
Trust me you don't. You only get examined on around 15-20% of the course in the G3 paper and maybe 30% of it in the G4 paper... But to answer your original point, as the other user said, the jump between AS and A2 Geography was massive for WJEC, and I've heard from people on the course from other exam boards it's the same. Although I'm sure if you keep on top of the workload from day 1 you'll be fine.

Thank youuu, yeah i've *decided* to be way more organised this year- hope I actually am.
Reply 13
THIS IS MEEEEE, THE MATHS KILLED ME, LOL. Why am i laughing, I should be crying :'( I'm exactly the same. Everything is screwed for bio lool.

If it makes you feel any better, we've probably failed together :smile: And try not to worry too much, this year doesn't count towards your actual A-level. Then again, I was told Maths and Geography do? If so, you have my utmost sympathy because that is utterly tragic.
Original post by Hassanh
Hi, so I have a lot of friends who picked these subjects. Chemistry by far is the biggest jump, like seriously it's extremely difficult from what I've heard. Physics is also very hard, but seems more manageable. Whereas, maths is a mix, some is really hard and other bits are easier. But honestly, these are some tough subjects and you genuinely need to be interested in them, or else you'll be stressed out a lot!

I see. I heard once you grasp the concepts of Physics - is not too hard. I've already got a start in C1. But I'm looking forward to the start of my AS year. Also doing Biology! :biggrin:

And yes, I do love all four of those subjects.
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Hassanh;66786104"]

If it makes you feel any better, we've probably failed together :smile: And try not to worry too much, this year doesn't count towards your actual A-level. Then again, I was told Maths and Geography do? If so, you have my utmost sympathy because that is utterly tragic.

Thank you :') Good luck to you too :biggrin:
Noticeable but you also notice a change in yourself, a sudden surge in motivation (hopefully) after getting AS results and trying to go to uni or whatever else you want to do, thinking about your study techniques and improving them.
I think I can help with a few of these subjects - I took Chem + Bio (both OCR) and Maths (Edexcel) and have friends who did Psychology (AQA) and Geography (Edexcel).
Personally the "OMG Chemsitry A Level is insanely difficult" moment happened just before my 2nd AS exam so I was prepared for a jump to A2. I found the organic side of things fine as it was mostly the content covered at AS but relating to different functional groups. NMR took me a while to understand but ask for help if you're stuck. The physical chemistry was almost all new content, some of which was OK and some was much harder and took a few extra hours to understand.
I found Biology my easiest subject this year in terms of understanding content, however there is a lot of it to learn and if you don't like ecology/biodiversity/plants/etc it sucks. The long A2 paper is frustrating in that because there is so much content to learn, different things are always tested every year and you can't learn the mark schemes (although the new A Level may differ).
Maths has always been my most difficult subject and A2 Maths was very very hard for me. It took me a long time to understand the topics and I had to put in a lot of extra hours. However, if you find Maths easier than I do and see the patterns in the numbers/problems it becomes much easier and some people sailed through.
Psychology was very popular at my 6th form and most people seemed to enjoy it and get along fine. There seems to be a lot of content to learn and my friends did tonnes of practice essays all year but for the most part they enjoyed all the topics.
Geography again seems to have a lot of stuff to learn and I'm definitely glad that I didn't have to do 70 mark questions! The biggest issue for these seemed to be timing in the exam - the prerelease information appeared to be well used so you would vaguely know what to write. Again lots of practice essays were written all year here.
I hope this was vaguely helpful!
Reply 18
Original post by immycawley
Again lots of practice essays were written all year here.

How do you do this? I don't know if i'm really lazy or just unmotivated, lol- I can never write practice essays in my own time? Like the work has to be set for me, for me to do it. Also, what kind of a routine do you recommend for A2? I want to be really organised this year, and you sound like you are lol- completely different question regarding the title of this thread- sorry!

what do you think ..

I did Edexcel Govt+Politics and the jump is quite substantial. The exams require you to answer x3 15 mark questions and a 45 marker. The course for A2 is much more complex, you will look back at AS and notice how simple it was compared to A2. You will also have to learn theorists as well as just the theories. Be prepared to make lots of notes! Do you know which unit you are doing?

Quick Reply

Latest