The Student Room Group

Access to sociol work

Has anybody studied access to social work?

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what to expect!

Was the course interesting?
What moduels did you learn?
Did you look at any case studies that have recently happened?

I just want a clearer understanding on what to expect!

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi Craig

I have just completed the access but mine wasn't for social work, my college only offered the access to health proffessions over the part time route which is the route i needed to go down. i am actually starting the degree in social work in september.

All i can tell you about my course is we studied psychology, sociology and some english along with a lot of human physiology!!
but as far as i am aware each college is different with what they offer

good luck sorry i cannot help further.
Original post by mikyla
Hi Craig

I have just completed the access but mine wasn't for social work, my college only offered the access to health proffessions over the part time route which is the route i needed to go down. i am actually starting the degree in social work in september.

All i can tell you about my course is we studied psychology, sociology and some english along with a lot of human physiology!!
but as far as i am aware each college is different with what they offer

good luck sorry i cannot help further.

Hey mikyla

Thank you for your responce!

How did you find the access course overall?

How many level 3 credits did you manage to acheive at pass, merit and distinction?

I heard that the social work interview is BRUTAL, how did you find it?
Reply 3
hi,

i did the course for 4 hours once a week on an evening for 2 years. The first year was easier this last part from xmas to june was brutal as its was all human physiology and that was hard going. My class though are one of the best for human phy for part time access students this year in the country!

i finished with 30 dist and 15 merits. Although my entry for degree only needed 30 merit and 15 dist.
the course is tough at times i can't lie to you. But worth the effort!
yes the social work interview is tough but i have a background in social care. Mainly asked me about discrimination and oppression. And to give examples, also why do u want to be a social worker and why do u think u would be suited to it, also how would u deal with the stress!

depending on where u apply to i am sure the process can differ, i also had to write an essay and we had to have a group discussion around a case study :smile:
Original post by mikyla
hi,

i did the course for 4 hours once a week on an evening for 2 years. The first year was easier this last part from xmas to june was brutal as its was all human physiology and that was hard going. My class though are one of the best for human phy for part time access students this year in the country!

i finished with 30 dist and 15 merits. Although my entry for degree only needed 30 merit and 15 dist.
yes the social work interview is tough but i have a background in social care. Mainly asked me about discrimination and oppression. And to give examples, also why do u want to be a social worker and why do u think u would be suited to it, also how would u deal with the stress!

depending on where u apply to i am sure the process can differ, i also had to write an essay and we had to have a group discussion around a case study :smile:

Wow, congrats on all your hard work!

What university are you studying at?

I know a few people that got rejected from the social work interview at Derby and Nottingham.

I dont have any previous experience in any social background, so I know i will struggle getting onto the course.
Original post by mikyla
hi,

How did you answer the questions?
Reply 6
Good question! I felt a rambled a lot in the interview.
And can't really remember! Was back in December,

Understanding social work by Neil Thompson is a good read to help prepare for a uni interview.
Original post by mikyla
Good question! I felt a rambled a lot in the interview.
And can't really remember! Was back in December,

Understanding social work by Neil Thompson is a good read to help prepare for a uni interview.

I bought that book in the week on recommendations from other students.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending