The Student Room Group

5th choice for medical applicants?? I'm stuck!

So I I've narrowed down my medical school choices to Bristol, Leeds, Edinburgh and Southampton but I'm really not sure what to do as a 5th choice!

The obvious choice is biomedical sciences but it's so competitive as it is. I was thinking of neuroscience because that is an area I am really into at the moment and did an essay about autism so that seems like a good option? Idk where though.. if I did UCL would they consider me even though its my 5th choice?

Also can you apply to the same uni for 2 different courses i.e medicine and something else?

thank you!
Original post by musicalmedic
So I I've narrowed down my medical school choices to Bristol, Leeds, Edinburgh and Southampton but I'm really not sure what to do as a 5th choice!

The obvious choice is biomedical sciences but it's so competitive as it is. I was thinking of neuroscience because that is an area I am really into at the moment and did an essay about autism so that seems like a good option? Idk where though.. if I did UCL would they consider me even though its my 5th choice?

Also can you apply to the same uni for 2 different courses i.e medicine and something else?

thank you!

Yeah you can do another course you don't have to only choose one for all 5.
Yeah you can apply to as many courses as you want at one uni but ovs they all have to relate so your personal statement will still work. My English teacher for example said she applied for 3 different courses at her uni!
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Yeah you can apply to as many courses as you want at one uni but ovs they all have to relate so your personal statement will still work. My English teacher for example said she applied for 3 different courses at her uni!

Ok thank you!

thank you!

If you are wanting to apply to medicine 100% then you dont have to put a 5th option, because if you dont get any offers you are likely to take a gap year and reapply. For me because of this the 5th option was just a waste (my school kinda pushed me into it though).

if you really want to apply for a 5th option take great consideration when thinking about the degree course, the modules and the university... so basically dont just waste it.
My 5th choice will probably be the "Physics with medical physics" at UCL; just thought I'd let you know about its existence in case that's something you might be into! :smile:

thank you!

Let's be honest with each other. You probably wouldn't accept your 5th choice if you didn't get in to the other 4 medical courses (like 9/10 medical applicants).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Let's be honest with each other. You probably wouldn't accept your 5th choice if you didn't get in to the other 4 medical courses (like 9/10 of medical applicants

Some people end up accepting because they feel like 'well I have an offer, I should accept it. There's no guarantee I'll get into medicine next year either...'

I agree with Natalie, if you definitely want to do medicine, don't put a 5th option
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Neuroscience sounds like a great 5th option; a fascinating topic, which is easily relatable to medicine should you pursue that field in future, and with good career prospects. UCL are an amazing university, and their entry requirements are AAA (same as many medical schools), but I got in to biomedicine at another great London University despite having a medicine-orientated personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending