The Student Room Group

Government & Politics - Opinions to study

I'm moving into sixth form in September and I have one spare option and I am thinking of studying Government & Politics. Before I start to study it or confirm my choice, I'd like to know what others' opinions are of the course and whether they think I should study it.

I find Politics very interesting and I have been engaged since the EU referendum and it has basically led me on to ponder about studying it. I'm also wanting to become an accountant / economist in the future and I think it may help me?
I have friends who study it and really enjoy it, but be aware that some universities consider it a "soft subject", and so if your other 3 options are English Language, Theatre studies and Media, you might struggle. Having said that, go for govpol if you think you'll enjoy it!
Very interesting subject, not too difficult to do well in if you work, solid choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've done it and I enjoyed it ... But be aware you do need to be focused.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by blue2337
I have friends who study it and really enjoy it, but be aware that some universities consider it a "soft subject", and so if your other 3 options are English Language, Theatre studies and Media, you might struggle. Having said that, go for govpol if you think you'll enjoy it!

My other 3 options are A Level Maths, BTEC Business and BTEC Engineering. Do you think that they will be a good range of subjects to get into the Accounting course at University?
Original post by 11LOrmston
My other 3 options are A Level Maths, BTEC Business and BTEC Engineering. Do you think that they will be a good range of subjects to get into the Accounting course at University?

It depends on which university you want to go to! Have you got any ideas?
Reply 6

It's not a soft subject at all.. I know many people who have done it and gone to top 10 uni's.
Reply 7
I've been studying it for almost a year, and it's a very interesting subject if you're already interested in politics. If you get a good teacher, it can also have a lot of opportunities for debate and to develop a deeper underdtanding of the wider world. If you're not very interested in politics, the subject can be a bit dull, though, and it has a LOT of essays, so be prepared for that. I'd also drop one of the BTECs, probably engineering, if you're planning to study accounting at uni, some universities view it as a bit 'soft' and they'd rather your subjects are relevant to your degree, or at least have transferrable skills, rather than a range of subjects.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Very interesting subject, not too difficult to do well in if you work, solid choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you done it?Could you provide any insight?Furthermore,is it okay if i do politics whilst doing English Lit,Geography.Will doing politics prevent me from going to RG(preferable Cambridge but definitely an RG uni)

Hey.Is it okay if i do G and Politics (in order to do a Law degree?).My other options are English literature and Geography.Will i still be rejected at RG unis

Original post by Pato1
It's not a soft subject at all.. I know many people who have done it and gone to top 10 uni's.
Original post by Blancosdos
Have you done it?Could you provide any insight?Furthermore,is it okay if i do politics whilst doing English Lit,Geography.Will doing politics prevent me from going to RG(preferable Cambridge but definitely an RG uni)

I have done it, alongside English Lit, History, and BTEC Applied Law.

Both you and I will be fine for Russel Groups and Oxbridge because we both have two facilitating subjects. You have Lit and Geography, and I have Lit and History. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what subjects you take.

I want to do Law at university as well.

Right, I've just looked on the Cambridge website and it basically says that Government and Politics has a limited suitability for an arts course, whereas you're aiming for accounting which isn't arts. Bear this in mind, as other universities might share Oxbridge's opinion that Government and Politics is useful for arts but less useful for a science/maths based degree.
Original post by Pato1

Yeah, no, that's not what I said at all. I know people aiming to do Law at Oxbridge who take govpol so please don't make me sound like I'm being judgemental. I'm saying that, because it is not one of the "facilitating subjects" which most if not all universities require (History, English lit, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, a modern language, or other subject specific ones like Art/Economics etc) then, if the other 3 subjects do not fall into the category of facilitating subjects, the applicant will struggle.
Original post by Blancosdos
Hey.Is it okay if i do G and Politics (in order to do a Law degree?).My other options are English literature and Geography.Will i still be rejected at RG unis

Those are some fab options there! Both Lit and Geography should set you up well for Law, the only other option would be something like History/Govpol which would really help your application. Lit and Geography are both "facilitating subjects" and so you wouldn't be rejected, Govpol would strengthen your application :smile:
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I have done it, alongside English Lit, History, and BTEC Applied Law.

Both you and I will be fine for Russel Groups and Oxbridge because we both have two facilitating subjects. You have Lit and Geography, and I have Lit and History. Beyond that, it doesn't matter what subjects you take.

I want to do Law at university as well.

Really nice.Which university do you wish to go?
Those are some fab options there! Both Lit and Geography should set you up well for Law, the only other option would be something like History/Govpol which would really help your application. Lit and Geography are both "facilitating subjects" and so you wouldn't be rejected, Govpol would strengthen your application :smile:

Thank you so much.
@Blancosdos

Hey, I did Govt+Politics AS, as well as Geography AS.
Both work alongside one another really well, especially if your geography course focuses on current affairs (however, this is not a requirement).
What is a requirement, is you reeeeeeally need to be up to date with the current affairs for govpol alone. This is what gives you most marks in the exams, as examiners see you as a v interested candidate.
It might be difficult in the beginning to stay up to date with the news, but trust me, if you're really interested, it will become part of your daily routine.
Some sources I suggest reading from:

BBC News- impartial information, get the facts here and download the app on your phone, it will alert you whenever there is breaking news.
The Guardian- left wing opinions on current affairs
The Telegraph- right wing opinion on current affairs
BBC Question Time (BBCQT)- more interactive discussion with people, easily watched on BBC iPlayer
Prime Minister's Question's (PMQs)- First hand information from the PM herself.
The Economist- just nice to read, their articles sound like stories, easy to get engrossed. But, not one of your main sources if you want to be focused on just UK Politics- good for worldwide news, esp under 'The World This Week' -- subscription required.

Note: You don't have to read ALL of these, jut do a few of them each week. I really recommend BBC News, BBCQT and PMQs. The others don't have to be used as much, but it's nice to contrast two news sources, such as the guardian and telegraph from time to time.

Also note: When you're reading the news, don't just read it- try and relate it to your school work or what you're doing is useless.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by IRoranth
@Blancosdos

Hey, I did Govt+Politics AS, as well as Geography AS.
Both work alongside one another really well, especially if your geography course focuses on current affairs (however, this is not a requirement).
What is a requirement, is you reeeeeeally need to be up to date with the current affairs for govpol alone. This is what gives you most marks in the exams, as examiners see you as a v interested candidate.
It might be difficult in the beginning to stay up to date with the news, but trust me, if you're really interested, it will become part of your daily routine.
Some sources I suggest reading from:

BBC News- impartial information, get the facts here and download the app on your phone, it will alert you whenever there is breaking news.
The Guardian- left wing opinions on current affairs
The Telegraph- right wing opinion on current affairs
BBC Question Time (BBCQT)- more interactive discussion with people, easily watched on BBC iPlayer
Prime Minister's Question's (PMQs)- First hand information from the PM herself.
The Economist- just nice to read, their articles sound like stories, easy to get engrossed. But, not one of your main sources if you want to be focused on just UK Politics- good for worldwide news, esp under 'The World This Week' -- subscription required.

Note: You don't have to read ALL of these, jut do a few of them each week. I really recommend BBC News, BBCQT and PMQs. The others don't have to be used as much, but it's nice to contrast two news sources, such as the guardian and telegraph from time to time.

Also note: When you're reading the news, don't just read it- try and relate it to your school work or what you're doing is useless.

Good luck :smile:

Haha thank you so much.Yeah i like reading articles so no problem
It depends on which university you want to go to! Have you got any ideas?

I'm based in Newcastle and I wish to stay local, so either Northumbria, Newcastle, Sunderland, Teeside or Durham.
Original post by jb1702
I've been studying it for almost a year, and it's a very interesting subject if you're already interested in politics. If you get a good teacher, it can also have a lot of opportunities for debate and to develop a deeper underdtanding of the wider world. If you're not very interested in politics, the subject can be a bit dull, though, and it has a LOT of essays, so be prepared for that. I'd also drop one of the BTECs, probably engineering, if you're planning to study accounting at uni, some universities view it as a bit 'soft' and they'd rather your subjects are relevant to your degree, or at least have transferrable skills, rather than a range of subjects.

I'm already interested in politics which is obviously good! How many essays would you say there are each month? What subject would you recommend replacing Engineering with? In the worst case scenario, I'd like to keep Engineering as it would be a good career to have as a plan B, plus there are a lot of influential people in my family who are engineers who can help me also.
I'm based in Newcastle and I wish to stay local, so either Northumbria, Newcastle, Sunderland, Teeside or Durham.

I think any Russell Group might be put off by the BTECs as - rightfully or wrongfully - sometimes they might be seen as a lesser qualification than an A Level? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!! but that was what I was told. However, somewhere non-Russell Group should be absolutely fine, and you'll hopefully get fab grades in all your subjects and you'll get a good place on a fab course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest