The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

does not agreeing with homosexuality make me homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zarek
Yes, because it's absolutely none of your business to express a negative view about something which does not affect you nor indeed anyone else. Add to this the history of appalling abuse and persecution gay people have face over ages and you might appreciate why posts of this type are a remnant of former legitimised intolerant times.

I don't agree with OPs view but to be fair he is entitled to express an opinion when the person explicitly invited him to do so.
Reply 261
[QUOTE=AverageExcellence;66335142]I don't agree with OPs view but to be fair he is entitled to express an opinion when the person explicitly invited him to do so.
He was asking for our opinions on whether we viewed it as homophobic. Perhaps I was a bit strong and I'm not suggesting OP is terrible homophobe and of course for himself he can think heterosexuality is best. But the trouble with expressing 'disagreement' with things that are basic human rights is that it has lead to some atrocious things.
No. It just makes you free minded. Unlike many sheeple on here who shadow their true opinions because they're scared of a little criticism based of modern social construct.
Original post by snikerio
i never said anything relating to that statement, only that by definition, it is homophobia, but ill respond anyway.

regardless of whether paedophiles can help their attraction or not, a child can not consent to any sexual behaviour, and this makes any action a paedophile makes sexually towards a child wrong, as it is statutory rape, and against the child's will.

the paedophile, being an adult who is aware of this, and in control of their own actions, is at fault. i think it's ridiculous when anyone tries to defend paedophilia by comparing it to homosexuality, or justify homophobia by doing the same as the adult is ALWAYS at fault for raping a child. no one is 'at fault' for having consensual sex between two adults, as neither didn't want to have sex.

my point is, even though they can both be grouped as sexual attractions, one puts people at risk by merely existing, and the other harms no one. so of course, it is natural to be against paedophilia, as am i.

the two are completely unrelated because of this difference in nature, and i don't think paedophilia should ever have been brought up as people should be intelligent enough to understand the idea of consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did I say about raping a child. You sicko.
Reply 264
You are homophobic, yes. Disagreeing with homosexuality is homophobia, because in 'disagreeing' you are invalidating a person's identity and inferring that their sexuality is somehow less than and abnormal. This is not okay, particularly when those on the LGBTQ spectrum are already marginalized and treated poorly. Religious parents may 'disagree' with their son's homosexuality, telling him that his 'choice' is unnatural and sinful. They may profess to still love him. This does not make them any less homophobic. Your belief is more loaded than a mere opinion, as it asserts that gay people contribute less to society because they cannot procreate. As a gay woman, if you responded to me in this way, I would move seats on the train and hope that you would educate yourself and ultimately realise how damaging your opinion(s) can be. I would find your response upsetting and prejudiced, however respectfully delievered. So, if I were you, and I did not want to appear homophobic (because that seems to be your concern here) I would reevaluate my standpoint.
(edited 7 years ago)
Freedom of speech not 'homophobia'. Don't contradict yourselves with social policies such as freedom and the ability to have a view & then labelling someone as being prejudice for doing what they're allowed to do

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266
Original post by King_ajk
I don't agree with homosexuality but am I homophobic? today i was talking to this gay male on the train and we were talking about how he came out to his family and how they reacted. he asked me my view and i said i personally dont agree with homosexuality because i believe men and women were made for each other to repopulate the human race. but i would never belittle anyone because of their sexuality because that is being a *****y person, i would not treat someone differently because they are gay i see everyone equal. he said fair enough and then i asked if he thought i was homophobic or bigoted he said no as everyone is entitled to their opinions and im not mistreating homosexuals. but this lady overheard and started shouting about how i was homophobic everyone on the carriage heard and looked, made me feel like **** for having an opinion. on my way home i am homophobic ,i see homophobic people as bully and i dont think i am one . i wanna know if others feel the same way as the lady. btw im an atheist,not religious before anyone says im a sheep for following old books

I believe in liberty of thought and people having the right to express opinions I don't agree with on the proviso that these opinions are not causing actual harm to society. You're not homophobic, but I would suggest that you're lacking all the facts and probably have a religious background, or have been influenced from a young age by religious teachings. There is really no need for human beings to populate this earth any further anyway. We are a species that has seen exponential growth due to the sexual exploits of men and women. The more homosexuals, the better in my opinion. Or rather, the less human beings interested in having children the better.

The lady you encountered was a left-wing bigot who believes that censorship of opinion is the right way to behave in society. I find these people almost as repugnant as bigots on the right, if not more so because of their tendency to try to shut down any form of free thought. There is definitely a problem with political correctness in the world at the moment.
Reply 267
Original post by UsamaHassan7
Freedom of speech not 'homophobia'. Don't contradict yourselves with social policies such as freedom and the ability to have a view & then labelling someone as being prejudice for doing what they're allowed to do

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waving the freedom of speech card doesn't make a bigot any less bigoted. If you're going to say **** like "I don't agree with homosexuality because men and women are made for each other", prepare to be called out.
Original post by UsamaHassan7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sigh:

Reply 269
If you said "I have nothing against black people I just don't think black people should marry white people, because I don't agree with it", would you be shocked if someone called you racist? Think through your 'opinins'. You aren't being rational, you're being bigoted and complicit in homophobia. Of course you're going to have a hard time accepting this - you're a straight man. Stop licking your privilege and educate yourself. This thread has turned into a heterosexual **** off, reassuring one another that you're not homophobic. The ones on the receiving end of homophobia get to decide that.
Reply 270
I'm yet to meet a person who waves about the freedom of speech card whilst not being racist, sexist, homophobic etc. Funny, that. It's what people say when they can't back up their opinions without sounding like a tool. Freedom of speech means you can say what you like; it also means that people get to call you out when you're being a bigot. You can't censor criticism by saying "but freedomz of speechez".
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laus2
You are homophobic, yes. Disagreeing with homosexuality is homophobia, because in 'disagreeing' you are invalidating a person's identity and inferring that their sexuality is somehow less than and abnormal. This is not okay, particularly when those on the LGBTQ spectrum are already marginalized and treated poorly. Religious parents may 'disagree' with their son's homosexuality, telling him that his 'choice' is unnatural and sinful. They may profess to still love him. This does not make them any less homophobic. Your belief is more loaded than a mere opinion, as it asserts that gay people contribute less to society because they cannot procreate. As a gay woman, if you responded to me in this way, I would move seats on the train and hope that you would educate yourself and ultimately realise how damaging your opinion(s) can be. I would find your response upsetting and prejudiced, however respectfully delievered. So, if I were you, and I did not want to appear homophobic (because that seems to be your concern here) I would reevaluate my standpoint.

Nothing but bs
Original post by Laus2
If you said "I have nothing against black people I just don't think black people should marry white people, because I don't agree with it", would you be shocked if someone called you racist? Think through your 'opinins'. You aren't being rational, you're being bigoted and complicit in homophobia. Of course you're going to have a hard time accepting this - you're a straight man. Stop licking your privilege and educate yourself. This thread has turned into a heterosexual **** off, reassuring one another that you're not homophobic. The ones on the receiving end of homophobia get to decide that.

I wouldn't even call that racist tbh. Am I racist for wanting black children?
Original post by cherryred90s
Nothing but bs

Fantastic counter-argument.
Original post by Grand High Witch
Fantastic counter-argument.

It wasn't a counter argument, just voicing my opinion :smile:
Well it's like this, how do you really know if homosexuality is wrong. Phobias are psychological and views are based on mainly parental or religious beliefs so in actuality through constant brainwashing anyone can hate anything over a period of time and y'all need to lay off the gays, they've been through enough...

Original post by cherryred90s
I wouldn't even call that racist tbh. Am I racist for wanting black children?

If you mean as opposed to children of any other colour, then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 277
Original post by anarchism101

Posted from TSR Mobile

nounnoun: racist; plural noun: racists

1. a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another."I had a fear of being called a racist"

adjectiveadjective: racist

1. having or showing the belief that a particular race is superior to another."we are investigating complaints about racist abuse at a newsagents"

In fairness if we go by the dictionary definition and the OPs feelings are born of an unattributal taste as opposedto outright malice they are'nt racist...
Original post by anarchism101

Posted from TSR Mobile

:laugh: ridiculous. If I'm attracted to black guys then obviously I've made piece with the idea that I'm going to have black kids, and I am content with that. TSR love to throw around these hate words. Soon you will all be calling me homophobic for saying I wouldn't date a gay person
(edited 7 years ago)
I am also with you :u:

Latest

Trending

Trending