The Student Room Group

Do most muslims truly save themselves until marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Anonymous
I do believe barbarians are among us. You're a barbarian and you're among us. I don't dispute that. But your wording suggests you meant something else.

I'm the barbarian? I don't kill people because I don't like what they think.

Perhaps you could've pointed out that his idea was barbaric? But no, you only pointed out that the mass murder of 1billion+ wouldn't work because there would still be Muslims in your own lands :facepalm:

I don't necessarily reply in lengths to anything stupid I see on TSR.

You are making excuses and like the other islamaphobes on here, it's a bit pathetic. Keep on making excuses but sooner or later, you people can't control yourselves and your hatred won't be a secret forever.

I make no secret of my hatred of Islam. Unlike you, I'm not ashamed of what I think. :wink:
Nope

Yuppie! :colone:
Fear of stds alone is a pretty poor reason for abstinence tbh
Original post by Saba XD
Yuppie! :colone:

Nope
Nope

Yup
Yup
Yup
OP most muslims from "decent" families do stay pure. I'm 21, and I'm a guy. I've been blessed/cursed with an insanely high sex drive..instead of messing around with girls, I work out and study or drive exciting cars to get my kicks. I honestly believe staying a virgin up to your marriage night is the best. Those who weren't, get upset and think about this myth of "Sexual compatibility" and needless to say..the marriage often fails within a year. Sexual compatibility does not exist. If two virgins go at it for the first time, not only is it completely emotional bonding process, they have no previous partners to compare their experiences with. Hence pure for pure, impure for impure. The Quran does have a logic.Its when people compare that we have issues i.e. if you've been banging since you were 16 and you sleep with a virgin..ofc its not going to be good for you..things take time and practice.. Sex gets better and better as the married couple communicate and teach one and another what works for the best sexual experience for both of them. fast forward time, after they've tailored eachother to their sexual preferences married couple will have the best sex into the best years of their lives.

What do you drive tho? lol
Original post by donutellme
Are you serious? What if they are virgin themselves? That is ****ing evil.

I agree, Honesty is the best policy - always
So much hate on this thread. One's freedom ends at the point where it obstructs another one's freedom. Hence nobody has the right to tell anyone what they can do with their body. Simple.
Original post by Saba XD
Yup
Yup
Yup

Nope
Original post by Cherry82
Out of curiosity, why do you think it's too risky?

I wouldn't want to go to the lengths of religious, legal and social commitment (by the latter I mean pay for a wedding with guests to watch the marriage) with someone, until I've lived with them for a good amount of time so I can be sure of their personality and habits as a housemate as well as a partner. Because by Islamic standards, especially as a woman, once you're in, you're in.

I'm not saying Islam particularly prevents women from divorcing, but the terms are difficult - not to mention the culture surronding muslim families, and the cultural idea that a divorced woman is worth nothing. It took my sister years to finally get away from her abusive husband because the families got involved and pressured her to stay with him - they guilt tripped her, told her that the marriage broke down because she didn't try enough for him etc. And all the while my parents wouldnt stop harping on about how bad it is that she's divorced because no muslim man will want a "used" woman.

I know that not all muslim communities are like that, but the majority are - especially those who's parents are first generation immigrants. I personally would like to avoid all of that trouble until I am sure I've done everything I can to get to know the guy before we marry.
Nope

Yesh. (I bet we are going to be told off soon) :lol:
Whats the point in saving yourself until marriage? For some ill concieved notion of purity.Maybe the reason muslims are supposed to save themselves until marriage is because the founders of Islam were sexist old men who viewed women as their property.Of course they didnt want their daughters sleeping around with random men.Fathers are generally very protective.In addition you could get STI's and how are you supposed to grow a religion if people keep getting diseases?Same thing for gay people you cant grow a religion if nobody procreates.

Honestly religion is dangerously obsessed with sex,like an anorexic with food.Its an unhealthy obsession because sex is as natural as breathing.Saving yourself until marriage is going to do nothing except stop you enjoying your own life because of some outdated fairy tales.Thats just a shame because before you know it you'll be nothing but dust.
Original post by Robby2312
Whats the point in saving yourself until marriage? For some ill concieved notion of purity.Maybe the reason muslims are supposed to save themselves until marriage is because the founders of Islam were sexist old men who viewed women as their property.Of course they didnt want their daughters sleeping around with random men.Fathers are generally very protective.In addition you could get STI's and how are you supposed to grow a religion if people keep getting diseases?Same thing for gay people you cant grow a religion if nobody procreates.

Honestly religion is dangerously obsessed with sex,like an anorexic with food.Its an unhealthy obsession because sex is as natural as breathing.Saving yourself until marriage is going to do nothing except stop you enjoying your own life because of some outdated fairy tales.Thats just a shame because before you know it you'll be nothing but dust.

Hey, I can tell you're not Muslim or at least bent on practicing it. :P

Let me refresh things up on the topic: zina (or pre-marital sex) is considered haraam for both male and female.

It is considered a test of a Muslim's self-control, despite their sexual urges and the hypersexualised society they live in.

Within marriage, men and women alike are allowed to and encouraged to have sex as many times as they desire.

In my opinion, this is entirely reasonable and not sexist. It is just put in place to test the faith and ego of the believer, whether you like it or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
The state of this thread lmfao
Original post by Tim12345

Let me refresh things up on the topic: zina (or pre-marital sex) is considered haraam for both male and female.

It is considered a test of a Muslim's self-control, despite their sexual urges and the hypersexualised society they live in.

Within marriage, men and women alike are allowed to and encouraged to have sex as many times as they desire.

In my opinion, this is entirely reasonable and not sexist. It is just put in place to test the faith and ego of the believer, whether you like it or not.

What is the point or the goal of testing the person's self control for something which is harmless? Surely this is something already excercised in Ramadan?

Obviously Im not muslim.The point was that there is no good reason why muslims shouldnt have sex outside marriage.You say its a test of self control but whos doing the testing Allah?.If its God doing the testing then its not a real test because he already knows the answer since God knows everything.It doesnt matter whether I like it or not.Personally I think its beyond pathetic that 1billion people spend their entire lives on their knees grovelling at the feet of some imaginary diety.They're like sheep just following every silly little rule in a silly little book without ever stopping to think for themselves.And they do all this without any evidence at all just faith.Life is wasted on such people.
What is the point or the goal of testing the person's self control for something which is harmless? Surely this is something already excercised in Ramadan?

I didn't decide this.

But either way, I remember reading somewhere in Islamic scripture that God/Allah only asks for things that you are capable of, i.e. not something impossible.

So anyone is capable of abstaining from pre-marital sex, it's just a matter of persistence and control. It is difficult, in fact everyone finds it difficult, but that should not deter you from fulfilling God's wish.
I didn't decide this.

But either way, I remember reading somewhere in Islamic scripture that God/Allah only asks for things that you are capable of, i.e. not something impossible.

So anyone is capable of abstaining from pre-marital sex, it's just a matter of persistence and control. It is difficult, in fact everyone finds it difficult, but that should not deter you from fulfilling God's wish.

But why would you follow God's wish if there's no logical reason behind following it?
Original post by Robby2312
Obviously Im not muslim.The point was that there is no good reason why muslims shouldnt have sex outside marriage.You say its a test of self control but whos doing the testing Allah?.If its God doing the testing then its not a real test because he already knows the answer since God knows everything.It doesnt matter whether I like it or not.Personally I think its beyond pathetic that 1billion people spend their entire lives on their knees grovelling at the feet of some imaginary diety.They're like sheep just following every silly little rule in a silly little book without ever stopping to think for themselves.And they do all this without any evidence at all just faith.Life is wasted on such people.

Believe what you wish, but I have a few issues:

1. "God knows everything, therefore He already knows what sins I would/would not commit"
Interesting argument :P I'll have a think about it.

2. "every silly little rule in a silly little book" I assume you're conflating the Quran and the Hadith.
The basic rules are stated in the Quran, and there are not many of them e.g. not engaging in pre-marital sex, drinking, etc.
Then the recommendations are provided in Hadith, and the more faithful and intellectual Muslims will follow them.
However, it is well-known that some Hadiths have been changed/manipulated anyway.

3. "Life is wasted on such people." Islam teaches people a way of life, being humble, kind, etc.
In my opinion, a devout Muslim is not a waste, since he/she feels that they have understood and come to terms with the meaning of life and aim to follow Islam's way of life, as I stated earlier.
However, either way, treating this way of life as a "waste" is, to say the least a little thoughtless and premature.
But why would you follow God's wish if there's no logical reason behind following it?

The logical reason behind sticking to God's wish is the entire reason you believe in the religion.

Some Muslims believe that there are scientific/numerical miracles in the Quran, and this is why they believe in Islam.

Others think that the universe must have had a cause, and that cause must have been God and chosen Islam as they think it is the right path.

In any case, once you have found rational reason for your faith in the religion (God asks in the Quran for people to think and do research), then you obviously comply with the faith's obligations.

i.e. My point being people shouldn't be Muslim just because their parents were Muslim, the same with any other faith.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending