The Student Room Group

Torn between studying English and Medicine?

Initially I thought I wanted to study medicine, so I took Biology, Chemistry, English lit, History and Critical Thinking at AS (still wanting to keep my options open). I've done some work experience but this hasn't really helped make a decision.
I've become more interested in English again recently so have been trying to read as much as possible but don't know how to fill a personal statement.
I change my mind almost everyday, and with deadlines fast approaching I don't really know what to do.
Most people at least know whether they want to study arts or sciences so not many are in a similar situation.
If anyone has had any similar experiences or could offer some advice that would be much appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would suggest Medicine. Healthcare had a bright future. You can read books whenever you want, and learn about all the theory from texts. It is really better to have concrete knowledge and skills in this world. My 2c.
Reply 2
Let me answer your question with a question. Do you want a job after you graduate?
Original post by difeo
Let me answer your question with a question. Do you want a job after you graduate?

This.

Assan is also correct, you can read lots of books in your free time as you're doing your Medicine and engage with other students about books and topics in your free time if you want to, also lots of English lecturers are happy to talk to you even if you're not doing their course.

So, yeah, do Medicine if you can get in as you'll be making a real difference in the world and growing as a person and learning lots of new things, it's challenging and engaging. You can read books in your free time :smile:
People aren't lying to you though when they say that Medicine is hard, so consider that too.

Also, writing a personal statement is not as hard as you're thinking, you write a draft one first, then think about it a little and then write another, think about it and improve it by writing another. The first one you write shouldn't be the one you end up using, keep iterating. Be honest and write about what's unique to you and don't say something like "Ever since I can remember I've always wanted to do blah blah", the people who read personal statements hate that. There's lots of good advice about this on YouTube.

I'll just say that it's also easier to get into undergraduate medicine than postgraduate medicine. So if you're thinking of doing an English degree first and then applying the odds won't be in your favour as much as people applying and getting into postgraduate medicine have a lot more experience and so on. Anyway, hope that helps a little.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Medicine is a great path but don't do medicine if you don't want to or it won't go well and you'll have regrets. If you know you'll be happier doing english then go for it. Then again don't do english unless you're aware of the career prospects (which are less obvious but more broad than medicine). Whatever decision you make, make sure it's yours and no one elses though.
Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ameliasheppard
Initially I thought I wanted to study medicine, so I took Biology, Chemistry, English lit, History and Critical Thinking at AS (still wanting to keep my options open). I've done some work experience but this hasn't really helped make a decision.
I've become more interested in English again recently so have been trying to read as much as possible but don't know how to fill a personal statement.
I change my mind almost everyday, and with deadlines fast approaching I don't really know what to do.
Most people at least know whether they want to study arts or sciences so not many are in a similar situation.
If anyone has had any similar experiences or could offer some advice that would be much appreciated.

Since you can only apply to 4 medical schools, can't you choose English for your fifth option? That way you have more time to decide
Original post by polerat
Since you can only apply to 4 medical schools, can't you choose English for your fifth option? That way you have more time to decide

OP could do that, but the English department at the uni she applies to will be confused as to why they have received a medicine personal statement. Realistically she'd have to make two separate ones, which is too much effort I think.

Advice to OP:

Coming from a current medical student, please do not apply for this degree if your heart isn't 100% into it.
Medicine is difficult enough as it is, and if you're not passionate about what you're learning it becomes so much harder. It's not even the content that is difficult, it's the sheer volume that you have to know over a certain amount of time. I used to be an avid reader when I was younger and during term time, I'm lucky if I get 15 minutes to read for leisure before bed.

What I recommend you do, if you're still unsure about what to apply for, is to use this year to focus on your A-Level exams, and take a gap year.

During your gap year, get more hospital work experience - I highly advise you apply for some kind of hospital based job eg phlebotomist or HCA. Obviously the work of a doctor is very different to those roles but it will give you an idea of what ward life is like.

Take your time deciding what you enjoy and what you don't. Everyone thinks as soon as you turn 18 you have no choice and must go straight to uni - but in medicine there isn't a universal age. On my course we have grads, we have people with non-science backgrounds, people who took two gap years etc and it's really normal for people to have had time out.

If you wait until after your exams to decide, you can look objectively at your results, see which exams you performed best at, which ones you enjoyed most, and make an informed decision.

I hope this advice helped :smile:
Reply 7
Some great advice so far.

I loved English at A-level, and it's still the part of sixth form I lopk back on most fondly. I always said if I didn't study medicine I would have studied English.

My best friend studied English, and I lived with her for three years, and I can tell you I would have HATED it. The amount of reading she had to do was insane - multiple books a week, many of which she didn't enjoy, and many many days straight in the library. She now has a masters in Old English and is applying to jobs in Waterstones.

Don't get me wrong, English is a great degree and if you want to you should do it. And medicine has a LOT of drawbacks as well. But look into the realities of both degrees seriously. Including post-grad employment rates
Original post by ameliasheppard

A lot of people will push you to do medicine because of the great job prospects which often humanities and arts degrees do not boast, but I want to put a medics spin on this, because after being at medical school I feel its better for me to tell you what its actually like.

Medicine requires a lot of dedication and determination to your career, this is because the work is tough and there is so much of it. You will be studying all year around and when you reach your clinical years you will literally live on the wards. It never ends, and to get you through the long hard days you need to remind yourself why your there and what your motivation is.

Having doubts now isnt ideal because medicine is a long haul of 5/6 years in medical school, 2 foundation years then more years of training before your consultancy/GP posts. You will constantly be learning, sitting exams, and not to mention the long long hours and tough job you will face at the end of it.

If your prepared to face everything above and feel like you will truly get through all the medical training and keep that motivation up then go for it. If your willing to go through the rigorous applications process then maybe medicine is for you!

Go online, take a long look at the degrees content and have a chat with some medics on here (you can PM me if you like) and see what you like and dont like about the degree, from there you can weigh up your options.
Reply 9
Agree with everyone above, just wanted you add that there is some demand for scientific/technical/medical writers so you can always combine the two later. But, again, you'd need the technical background first. And you could do an editing/writing certification part-time,
80% of graduate employers in the UK require no specific subject to be studied at university.

Your work experience has lead you to believe you won't enjoy a medical career.

This seems like a no-brainer. Just, for goodness sake, please make sure to intern while you're at uni.
Thank you everyone, this has been really helpful. I'll do some further research into these areas before making a final decision :smile:
Original post by Athematica
80% of graduate employers in the UK require no specific subject to be studied at university.

Your work experience has lead you to believe you won't enjoy a medical career.

This seems like a no-brainer. Just, for goodness sake, please make sure to intern while you're at uni.

I did really enjoy the work experience, but it's just time pressure making the situation more stressful I think. Thank you though :smile:.
Medicine is a vocational degree and so your question shouldn't be "should I study medicine or English?" but "do I want to be a doctor?".

If you (currently) see yourself spending the rest of your life working as a doctor then study medicine. If you want to study English later on (informally or formally) then you can do so. I studied law on a part-time basis after finishing medical school without too much difficulty.

If you don't want to be a doctor (or aren't "sure") then study something else, presumably English. If you come around to the medicine idea later on, you can jump on a graduate-entry course and will be all the better for having studied a different subject first.

Obviously medicine has the "advantage" of a single career path but I wouldn't let yourself be sold on that basis. If you study a non-vocational subject, you should obviously think about career options early on but I wouldn't accept many of the "English degree = unemployment" posts above.*
What did and didn't you like about the medical work experience?

What alternative career do you visualise yourself in with the English degree?
Original post by nexttime

It may not be pertinent here to have firm ideas about what she's do with an English degree, I don't think, so long as on of the many graduate schemes or the like is acceptable to the OP.

Nonetheless, this line of question, especially in the first question, is probably sensible.
Original post by Athematica
It may not be pertinent here to have firm ideas about what she's do with an English degree, I don't think, so long as on of the many graduate schemes or the like is acceptable to the OP.

I think its important to recognise the breadth of options out there for an English graduate.

I also think its important to consider what these options are an how they compare in your mind to a career in medicine. I also think its important to recognise that whilst there are lots of possible opportunities for an English graduate, you might not be able to get your first, second or even 10th choice. The uncertainty there is something you need to embrace if that;s the option you take.

No point in taking a 3 year view when a medical degree is essentially entry into a lifelong career.
Original post by nexttime

I worked in the local hospital and enjoyed interacting with the patients and other medical staff there. I was especially interested in the historical aspect, by which I mean gathering the background information of a patient, especially in paediatrics, and building a bigger picture. I find it really interesting as it allows you to further your own personal understanding of the world, really, and I'd love to work with more disadvantaged people, especially in other countries if given the opportunity. Also working as part of a team was really enjoyable, and the ability to drastically improve a patient's situation by combining the skills of multiple people.
I think the only thing really holding me back is the fact that you are, in the main, entering into a lifelong profession from such a young age, and also probably a lack of self-confidence. The freedom that an English degree offers is appealing, however, you're right, this is often problematic. That's the thing, I suppose I am really only looking at the short-term benefits of English, as I'm unsure what I would do after graduating. Thank you, this has really made me think about what I'd like to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bezoar

Coming from a current medical student, please do not apply for this degree if your heart isn't 100% into it.
Medicine is difficult enough as it is, and if you're not passionate about what you're learning it becomes so much harder.

This line gets thrown around a lot, and I agree to some extent, but I think the passion you need is often overestimated.

I'm now a fourth year and my heart is nowhere near 100% in it, maybe like 60-70%? I'd also question if anyone at all is 100% in it.

My advice to OP would be to sum up what you liked and didn't like about medical work experience then come to a balanced decision. Obviously you have to keep in mind that it is a lifelong thing and it will just be medicine medicine medicine, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be super passionate about it all the time.
Hi
This may be a late reply and maybe you have already made your decision by now. In my opinion something to study at university has to be something you are completely focussed and committed to doing. Most courses last around 4 years which means you will be dedicating huge amounts of your time to that subject. I am wishing to study medicine and I have been ever since I've been young. I would say its a strong career and a course which will guarantee you a job when leaving university. WIth english, you are limited to what you can do however there are options such as journalism and teaching. It all depends on how much of your life your willing to give up and how interested you are in each of these subjects. I would definitely say that if its not something you want to be doing with the rest of your life then don't waste time on it.
Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending