The Student Room Group

unsure over ALEVEL options please help

I have picked politics, maths and economics for my a levels but I am unsure over whether to do history or biology many people have told me it isn't worth doing one science and is pointless I like history but I really don't like the as content and even though I like the biology content I don't like practicals both have pros and cons
plus I enjoy both
is it worth doing one science
which makes more sense to do
is there another subject I could take that would be a good fit with my options
Biology really doesn't have that many practicals. The majority if not all your exam will be based on a written exam. Nothing wrong with doing one science as a lot do only one science. I can't speak for history as I haven't studied it but I feel they are on the same paths of difficulty in terms on the content.
If you don't like the content of history then I'd advice doing biology as you will hate it then. Don't take an A level subject which you don't really like so much as A levels kills the enjoyment most of the time for even your most favourite of subjects.
Think what you may want to study at uni but if you aren't sure having a science may keep your options open as economics and politics are already essay based.
Reply 2
Original post by tcameron
Biology really doesn't have that many practicals. The majority if not all your exam will be based on a written exam. Nothing wrong with doing one science as a lot do only one science. I can't speak for history as I haven't studied it but I feel they are on the same paths of difficulty in terms on the content.
If you don't like the content of history then I'd advice doing biology as you will hate it then. Don't take an A level subject which you don't really like so much as A levels kills the enjoyment most of the time for even your most favourite of subjects.
Think what you may want to study at uni but if you aren't sure having a science may keep your options open as economics and politics are already essay based.
thank you so much for your reply, I guess taking one science provides me with more options as I am unsurewhat do you do in practicals, just to get a rough idea and is it hard
Original post by fff555
thank you so much for your reply, I guess taking one science provides me with more options as I am unsurewhat do you do in practicals, just to get a rough idea and is it hard

Your teachers should help you with these practicals and not just throw you into the deep end.
Yes biology is hard, mainly because it has so much content plus all the application that you have to do to answer questions as well as having general biology knowledge. But really what A-level subject isn't hard. Doubt it's as difficult as maths though but I only took maths up to AS
Original post by fff555
I have picked politics, maths and economics for my a levels but I am unsure over whether to do history or biology many people have told me it isn't worth doing one science and is pointless I like history but I really don't like the as content and even though I like the biology content I don't like practicals both have pros and cons
plus I enjoy both
is it worth doing one science
which makes more sense to do
is there another subject I could take that would be a good fit with my options

I feel that History would make sense as a 4th subject as Government and Politics focuses on historical backgrounds and events. If you enjoy essay writing and extensive research aswell as reasoning, I think you should consider History, but you should probably consider the workload of both Biology and History.
Tired af
You've taken two two maths heavey subjects hence maths...
Politics will be writting heavey as you well know, at Alevel i took physics maths and history. History will suck alot of time out of you due to the constant content learning, compared to maths you could learn the theory at different times of thr year. If you dont pay attention from the whole course during history you wont do very well.

Quick Reply

Latest