The Student Room Group

Grammar schools to return

Theresa May is set to remove the ban on grammar schools.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/theresa-may-to-end-ban-on-new-grammar-schools/ar-BBvkxT1?li=BBoPRmx

Are you happy or angry
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good.
"it's about social mobility" suuuure it is
Fantastic news.
Reply 4
Original post by 1010marina

Why shouldn't intelligent children go to a school with other more intelligent children.

My sister attends TGGS in Torbay and students from a 2hour drive away travel so they can go their.

Let's put it this way I missed the grammar school by 2 marks because of my English (weakest subject).

At my comprehensive school,my maths class ranged from A grade students (me) to D grade students. My maths teacher spent most of his time teaching very basic maths to the D grade students as he had to focus on getting them a C at GCSE as opposed to making sure the students with more potential got the best grades they could.

I still got an A because I went and saw him at lunch times which he didn't have to do.

Now I didn't get in the grammar school because of my English but other students will have similar stories.
Fill me in guys, how can there have been a ban on grammar schools when grammar school obviously still exist?

exactly it about an old tory facing off with an older labour and what ever happens the country will be a mess by the end as will the US so at this rate the world go very little chance unless they team up with Russia or just give in to the dictator/tyrants/terrorists (delete as appropriate)
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Fill me in guys, how can there have been a ban on grammar schools when grammar school obviously still exist?

they banned opening new grammar schools not currently existing ones
Original post by niteninja1
Why shouldn't intelligent children go to a school with other more intelligent children.

My sister attends TGGS in Torbay and students from a 2hour drive away travel so they can go their.

Let's put it this way I missed the grammar school by 2 marks because of my English (weakest subject).

At my comprehensive school,my maths class ranged from A grade students (me) to D grade students. My maths teacher spent most of his time teaching very basic maths to the D grade students as he had to focus on getting them a C at GCSE as opposed to making sure the students with more potential got the best grades they could.

I still got an A because I went and saw him at lunch times which he didn't have to do.

Now I didn't get in the grammar school because of my English but other students will have similar stories.

Heya. The grammar "near" me is an independent one with a £10.5k/year price tag. It's a joke - and all I can see is eventually a similar situation.

I got the top results in my state primary, and later the top female results in my state high school. I had a boring miserable time, same as you, surrounded by people of mixed abilities and with teachers that didn't push me. So I really understand where you're coming from, but seeing all these changes surrounding academies etc, it just makes me think we'll end up with a load more fee charging schools that grossly limit access. If they can absolutely guarantee that any new school will remain 100% free forever then sure I'm behind it. Otherwise it'll just exacerbate the problem
I'm concerned about people not attending grammar schools being condemned to poverty and having a social stigma attached to them.
Heya. The grammar "near" me is an independent one with a £10.5k/year price tag. It's a joke - and all I can see is eventually a similar situation.

I got the top results in my state primary, and later the top female results in my state high school. I had a boring miserable time, same as you, surrounded by people of mixed abilities and with teachers that didn't push me. So I really understand where you're coming from, but seeing all these changes surrounding academies etc, it just makes me think we'll end up with a load more fee charging schools that grossly limit access. If they can absolutely guarantee that any new school will remain 100% free forever then sure I'm behind it. Otherwise it'll just exacerbate the problem

The 3 nearest grammar schools to me are all normal free schools (just like a comprehensive )
I'm concerned about people not attending grammar schools being condemned to poverty and having a social stigma attached to them.

Are you being sarcastic? just because someone doesn't go to a grammar school, it doesn't condemn them to a life of poverty. It doesn't affect the education of any other children, it just raises the level of the top students.
The 3 nearest grammar schools to me are all normal free schools (just like a comprehensive )

I know they exist I just don't know where lol

On the plus side, I get uni offers 1-3 grades lower than others because my school is that rubbish xD

Have to say, I think an ideal solution would just be to improve gifted& talented programmes within normal state secondaries. There was 0 provision for me beyond the norm, and if we had just been set better (albeit into smaller classes), perhaps just students aiming for A grades at GCSE, it'd have been a lot better. A lot of people i know had poor SATs (especially lads) and then got fab GCSEs - 11 is just way too young... I dunno, introduce after school classes for top achievers, etc...

I'm not against actual free grammars but I am absolutely against anymore fee paying ones... So guess I stand somewhere in the middle here
Original post by richpanda
Are you being sarcastic? just because someone doesn't go to a grammar school, it doesn't condemn them to a life of poverty. It doesn't affect the education of any other children, it just raises the level of the top students.

The system certainly used to
Theresa May is set to remove the ban on grammar schools.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/theresa-may-to-end-ban-on-new-grammar-schools/ar-BBvkxT1?li=BBoPRmx

Are you happy or angry

Wow, well done Theresa! Maybe she's not all bad after all.

i agree its mostly the upper classes that end going to them anyway .

if they are not a snob when they go in, they will be when they come out.

if i am being honest every school is like a grammar school in that you have sets A B C most people who are in A will stay with people who are in A also i have noticed that the teachers put more effort in to A
Grammar schools do not enable social mobility. On the surface they appear to be a great mechanism for it but in reality they aren't. Judging kids at the tender age of 11 doesn't seem wise to me either.

My uncle went to a grammar school but my father didn't have that opportunity. Both of them managed to secure their PhD in the end but my father had to do so much more work to get there. The truth is, under a grammar school system, the majority will be shafted in low performing state schools that will receive yet less funding overall than they do today.
Really happy. I got into grammar schools and think the system is fantastic, a real-life changing opportunity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paraphilos
Grammar schools do not enable social mobility. On the surface they appear to be a great mechanism for it but in reality they aren't. Judging kids at the tender age of 11 doesn't seem wise to me either.

My uncle went to a grammar school but my father didn't have that opportunity. Both of them managed to secure their PhD in the end but my father had to do so much more work to get there. The truth is, under a grammar school system, the majority will be shafted in low performing state schools that will receive yet less funding overall than they do today.

great reply, agree completeley
Fantastic news

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending