The Student Room Group

Zero hour contracts, should they be banned.

The Labour Party both leadership candidates want zer hour contracts banned. What is your opinion.

My opinion is some people (especially students) want to work with ability to have certain weeks of without using holiday pay for instance a parent who want a school half term off.
Nope. I have a zero hours contract for a job which is basically a hobby, so I can just dip in and out as I please :biggrin:
If people want a job to live, pay bills etc stop getting zero hour contract jobs and improve your CV
I don't think they should be banned but I hate them. I've had one shift in two weeks and only have one shift next week.
Reply 4
No
Seems OTT to ban them albeit possibility slight regulation on what % of roles can be zero hour for companies, since having a ton of 0 hour workers on their books and no full time staff seems to be taking advantage of the situation.
Absolutely. All workers should have a guaranteed minimum number of hours if they want it and be entitled to holiday and sick pay.

That way students could still happily be on such a contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Bornblue
Absolutely. All workers should have a guaranteed minimum number of hours if they want it and be entitled to holiday and sick pay.

That way students could still happily be on such a contract.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be optional not forced
There should be an option for a zero hour contract for those who want them (students etc) but many people actually need regular, shifted work to help them live and feed their families
Reply 9
Original post by Serine Soul
There should be an option for a zero hour contract for those who want them (students etc) but many people actually need regular, shifted work to help them live and feed their families

Exactly
There's no one size fits all for this as some places can't guarantee work all the time.

The issue I have with them is that people have to be available at set times whether they get given any hours or not and can't work for others during that time.
Why on earth should they be banned? If you don't like zero hour contracts don't sign one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
No but they need to be more flexible
Original post by Serine Soul

Zero hour contracts aren't exactly intended for people trying to earn a living wage. They're there as flexible, uncommitted employment options.

Plus many employers can't afford to hire people on anything other than a zero hour contract. If zero hour contracts were banned, it would probably result in more people with no contracts at all.
Even though most on zero-hour contracts prefer them as they suit their needs, hence why they obtained them in the first place and to ban them would likely lead to the unemployment of nearly everyone on them?*

SJWs, clueless and detached from reality as always....*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending