The Student Room Group

Uni at 35 with a wife & child

Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to university to study computer systems & networks and hoping for some help and info as a mature student.

I'm 35 years old, married and have a 2 month old baby. I currently work in IT in the NHS but want to work towards a degree in networking as that's the field I want to succeed in.

Want I want to find out is what sort of financial help I could receive? Obviously I'd have to leave my job, my wife is on statuary maternity pay until end of January but then going back to work full time. Is there any help for families?

Thank you
If you don't already have a degree then you can get a tuition fee loan and, if you do a full-time degree, a maintenance loan as well. If you already have a degree then you can only get a tuition fee loan (and only if the computer science/systems degree is part-time). There is no other help available.

Could you not study part-time and keep your current job?
Student finance is available for support :smile: also what you could do is do either a full time course or if not already there may be part time courses for you and you can still keep your job. Or if you do a full time course is there any way you could reduce your hours at work/become a part timer at your work place?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by addychad
Hi everyone,

I'm considering going to university to study computer systems & networks and hoping for some help and info as a mature student.

I'm 35 years old, married and have a 2 month old baby. I currently work in IT in the NHS but want to work towards a degree in networking as that's the field I want to succeed in.

Want I want to find out is what sort of financial help I could receive? Obviously I'd have to leave my job, my wife is on statuary maternity pay until end of January but then going back to work full time. Is there any help for families?

Thank you

I am also 35, and have a kid. Good luck!
I think you can get help with childcare costs from student finance, but I'm not sure whether your wife's income affects your entitlement.

https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/overview

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending