The Student Room Group

Is Trump mentally ill? The US Republican Party is being urged to get him examined

This poll is closed

Do you think Donald Trump should have his mental health examined?

Yes 48%
No52%
Total votes: 64
US Congresswoman Karen Bass has started a petition calling on psychologists and psychiatrists to urge the Republican Party to get Donald Trump's mental health examined. It seems there is ample evidence that he suffers from both narcissistic and sociopathic personality disorders.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sociopathic eh
now which Democratic candidate does that remind me of..
There is an excellent piece by Keith Olbermann in Vanity Fair. He applies the the Hare Psychopathy Checklist that was introduced by criminal psychologist Robert Hare in 1980. There are 20 items, and a person can score between 0 and 2 on each. The accepted minimum score for possible psychopathy is 30. Trump scores 32.

If anyone is going to argue that raising questions over Trump's mental health is somehow unethical, please remember that he is running for an office that will allow him to have his finger on the button controlling strategic nuclear weapons. Please also bear in mind that he has routinely called his opponents mentally ill or questioned their sanity (Barack Obama, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Glenn Beck, Ben Carson, Megyn Kelly).
I'm still half convinced this is nothing more than a ruse to get Hillary elected by Trump who plans to drop out before the election.
Original post by Fango_Jett
I'm still half convinced this is nothing more than a ruse to get Hillary elected by Trump who plans to drop out before the election.

Perhaps the mental health examination might clear him. But I doubt it. I think there's already sufficient reason for him to be examined. This needs to happen soon, so that the Republican Party can replace him with a candidate whose name they can get onto the ballots in all the different states. Perhaps that candidate might even win. The need to have a president who is not insane is more important than which party they come from.

Given how Donald Trump is behaving, and how he has behaved for years, there is a serious question here, and a real danger. Yes, the Hillary Clinton side is going to agree with that. But major party candidates are already getting national security briefings, and for goodness sake let's have all candidates who have a chance of winning be known to be sane.
Reply 5
Lol. Hillary Clinton, a cokehead, has seizures in public, laughs about killing people, gets opponents "suicided" constantly, rigs elections and is an admitted criminal (according to the director of the FBI himself) Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke, has multiple children and millions of people who adore him, has created a wildly successful business and has given hundreds of millions to charity, without seeking recognition for it. Yet there are snot nosed, low-info punks deranged enough to call him mentally ill !!! It's people like you who make me wish for a Pinochet or Suharto.

Reply 7
Original post by 41b
Lol. Hillary Clinton, a cokehead, has seizures in public, laughs about killing people, gets opponents "suicided" constantly, rigs elections and is an admitted criminal (according to the director of the FBI himself) Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke, has multiple children and millions of people who adore him, has created a wildly successful business and has given hundreds of millions to charity, without seeking recognition for it. Yet there are snot nosed, low-info punks deranged enough to call him mentally ill !!! It's people like you who make me wish for a Pinochet or Suharto.

Both Pinochet and Suharto were mass murderers. If you believe Hillary Clinton is a criminal, you should want her to be tried and convicted and for a sane candidate to beat her in the election. There is no need for you to be insulting, and it is irrelevant that Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke, has children, and has been successful in the private sector. President is a public post. Whether I have a snotty nose or not is also irrelevant. All we want is for him to be examined. He has exhibited many symptoms of narcissistic and sociopathic personality disorders, as many mental health professionals have opined. He should be properly examined.

By the way, Trump did not create his business. The Trump Organisation was founded by his grandmother, Elizabeth Trump, née Christ. And he has not given hundreds of millions, either in US dollars or sterling, to charity. Over 20 years, the Trump foundation has made charitable contributions totaling a paltry $6.7 million. He gave $3.7 million to his own foundation. He ranks among the least charitable billionaires in the world. His whole philosophy is of the "deal", by which he means crushing the other guy - and has said so, and as you could easily confirm if you were interested and got past the stage of adoration.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
=a^n;66793352]Both Pinochet and Suharto were mass murderers. If you believe Hillary Clinton is a criminal, you should want her to be tried and convicted and for a sane candidate to beat her in the election. There is no need for you to be insulting, and it is irrelevant that Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke, has children, and has been successful in the private sector. President is a public post. Whether I have a snotty nose or not is also irrelevant. All we want is for him to be examined. He has exhibited many symptoms of narcissistic and sociopathic personality disorders, as many mental health professionals have opined. He should be properly examined.

By the way, Trump did not create his business. The Trump Organisation was founded by his grandmother, Elizabeth Trump, née Christ. And he has not given hundreds of millions, either in US dollars or sterling, to charity. Over 20 years, the Trump foundation has made charitable contributions totaling a paltry $6.7 million. He gave $3.7 million to his own foundation. He ranks among the least charitable billionaires in the world. His whole philosophy is of the "deal", by which he means crushing the other guy - and has said so, and as you could easily confirm if you were interested and got past the stage of adoration.

Everything I've said is well known or in the public record. What you've written is gratuitously ignorant and I stand by what I said.
Original post by marers
US Congresswoman Karen Bass has started a petition calling on psychologists and psychiatrists to urge the Republican Party to get Donald Trump's mental health examined. It seems there is ample evidence that he suffers from both narcissitic and sociopathic personality disorders.

I called it years ago, before he became a presidential nominee.

I really do hope he gets diagnosed, that should scupper his chances nicely, and insulate society from his dangerous state of mind.
Original post by lopterton
There is an excellent piece by Keith Olbermann in Vanity Fair. He applies the the Hare Psychopathy Checklist that was introduced by criminal psychologist Robert Hare in 1980. There are 20 items, and a person can score between 0 and 2 on each. The accepted minimum score for possible psychopathy is 30. Trump scores 32.

If anyone is going to argue that raising questions over Trump's mental health is somehow unethical, please remember that he is running for an office that will allow him to have his finger on the button controlling strategic nuclear weapons. Please also bear in mind that he has routinely called his opponents mentally ill or questioned their sanity (Barack Obama, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Glenn Beck, Ben Carson, Megyn Kelly).

Best then elect a pathological liar who has a history of terrorising rape victims for money and kudos and who even to this day sees no problem with allowing the deaths of those in Benghazi just because.....*
Original post by Fango_Jett

I wonder if that did occur, what would happen. Presumably the Republicans would rush through a new selection process (perhaps a vote of elected Congress people?) and appoint a new candidate. One can imagine that certain Republicans might be only too happy to see the Donald go.

On the OP, it's clear that Trump is someone for whom the phrase 'normal personality' was not invented, but I don't really think, unless there is extreme evidence, that involving the psych industry in choosing or disqualifying political leaders is a particularly good route to go down. For one thing, the US psycho-pharma complex continuously invent new conditions that require expensive drug therapies, to the point where almost anyone can be labelled as in need of such treatment. We should also worry about the tendency to label any kind of unusual behavious as 'mad'. This has been repeatedly used in totalitarian states to lock dissidents up. In the US it has also been abused in the past, for example, protesters were put into the mental hospital system during the Vietnam War and similar.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Best then elect a pathological liar who has a history of terrorising rape victims for money and kudos and who even to this day sees no problem with allowing the deaths of those in Benghazi just because.....*

I wish you would consider stopping repeating such blatant distortions and lies. It doesn't make them any truer. She was just being a defence lawyer in the case you mentioned and such conduct in US trials is common, even more so back then and we are talking an awfully long time ago, when she was really inexperienced.

Please provide evidence that she had "no problem" with what happened in Benghazi - another lie you keep repeating with no evidence.
Original post by 41b

Do you feel that if you lie enough about Trump, it will somehow become true?

There is no evidence to support any of Sally Miller's allegations about the Clintons (that's what you're quoting with the cocaine thing and the laughing) and Miller has herself been the subject of past criminal investigations.

The FBI Director never said any such thing.

The 'suicided' claims belong to wild right wing conspiracy websites and have been massively debunked and been shown repeatedly to be fabrications.

Trump is not charitable and he is also not a particularly effective businessman.
Reply 14
Germane to the discussion: Keith Olbermann's piece in Vanity Fair. He applies the 20 considerations of the Hare Psychopathy Test, in which the person gets a score of between 0 and 2 on each one. A score of 30 is the accepted threshold in the US for possible psychopathy. Trump scores 32.

I think if people want to discuss Hillary Clinton - whether she should be elected, whether she is a criminal, or insane, or an evil witch who cackles whenever someone gets raped or killed - then they should start another thread. The topic of this thread is Donald Trump and whether he is insane or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
So the same Democrats who castigated Trump for mocking a disabled reporter are now using mental illness to sling mud at him?
Reply 16
Original post by 41b
Everything I've said is well known or in the public record. What you've written is gratuitously ignorant and I stand by what I said.

I assume that when you call what a^n wrote "gratuitously ignorant" you mean that it is untrue or perhaps logically unsound. What in particular? Can you point to one thing even? Do you believe that the dictators Pinochet and Suharto weren't mass murderers? Do you disagree with him when he says that the fact that Donald Trump doesn't drink or smoke has no bearing on the question of his sanity? I don't drink or smoke either, by the way.

Original post by Grand High Witch
So the same Democrats who castigated Trump for mocking a disabled reporter are now using mental illness to sling mud at him?

Can you clarify - are you accepting that Donald Trump is mentally ill? People's disabilities, whether physical or mental, should not be mocked. And insane people should not be allowed to wield great executive power. There is no contradiction.
(edited 7 years ago)
What's he said now? I so want him be president:lol:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
On the OP, it's clear that Trump is someone for whom the phrase 'normal personality' was not invented, but I don't really think, unless there is extreme evidence, that involving the psych industry in choosing or disqualifying political leaders is a particularly good route to go down. For one thing, the US psycho-pharma complex continuously invent new conditions that require expensive drug therapies, to the point where almost anyone can be labelled as in need of such treatment. We should also worry about the tendency to label any kind of unusual behavious as 'mad'. This has been repeatedly used in totalitarian states to lock dissidents up. In the US it has also been abused in the past, for example, protesters were put into the mental hospital system during the Vietnam War and similar.

I agree with everything you say here, but I believe that sufficient evidence does exist for Trump and his behaviour to be subject to examination with a view to determining whether or not he is sane. There are many political leaders I dislike intensely about whom I wouldn't say that. Tony Blair for example played a part in committing war crimes that caused the deaths of a very large number of people, but I do not know of a good reason to question his sanity. There is a line to cross, and I think Trump's habitual behaviour crosses it.
Original post by ambience
I agree with everything you say here, but I believe that sufficient evidence does exist for Trump and his behaviour to be subject to examination with a view to determining whether or not he is sane. There are many political leaders I dislike intensely about whom I wouldn't say that. Tony Blair for example played a part in committing war crimes that caused the deaths of a very large number of people, but I do not know of a good reason to question his sanity. There is a line to cross, and I think Trump's habitual behaviour crosses it.

The thing is, if Trump's crazy, so are half the CEOs in the US. That may actually be the honest truth (lots of books claim that psychopathy is a key indicator of big business success) but it's hardly likely to be a workable approach in a country dominated by such people. The truth probably is that the lunatics are in charge of the asylum.

Quick Reply