The Student Room Group

Why are most bouncers *********?

Did they get bullied in school or something?
Wife left them?
Sick of watching other people get drunk and party when they have to be sober?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because they're paid to be dickheads
Original post by UWS

YEP YEP

Posted from TSR Mobile
You try standing out in the cold every night while drunk ********s try to pick fights with you, are rude to you, swear at you, spit at all, act like they are above you and that you are a nobody who only exists to be a bouncer. I think it is easy when you have a think about what it is like in their shoes to see why so many of them act like they do, because they have to presume the worse of everyone, that everyone will be that person trying to get in to sell drugs, or that they might be too drunk and need to go home, or that they will be the shithead who throws a punch at them for no reason.
because you'll take the piss if they aren't
Reply 5
Original post by Kay_Winters
You try standing out in the cold every night while drunk ********s try to pick fights with you, are rude to you, swear at you, spit at all, act like they are above you and that you are a nobody who only exists to be a bouncer. I think it is easy when you have a think about what it is like in their shoes to see why so many of them act like they do, because they have to presume the worse of everyone, that everyone will be that person trying to get in to sell drugs, or that they might be too drunk and need to go home, or that they will be the shithead who throws a punch at them for no reason.

Well I'm always respectful towards them and they still act like dickheads towards me.
Original post by jimbeam15
Well I'm always respectful towards them and they still act like dickheads towards me.

Any examples?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by drandy76

Some are alright, not most.

And here are a few examples. Once I asked, how is the night going, and they didn't respond.

One of them actually told my friend from Nigeria, that they already have too many ethnics in the club hence why he didn't get in, so we both had to go elsewhere that night.

One made some excuse that I am likely to be hiding drugs so I can't get in, when I don't even do that type of thing.
Some are alright, not most.

And here are a few examples. Once I asked, how is the night going, and they didn't respond.

One of them actually told my friend from Nigeria, that they already have too many ethnics in the club hence why he didn't get in, so we both had to go elsewhere that night.

One made some excuse that I am likely to be hiding drugs so I can't get in, when I don't even do that type of thing.

That's the club's fault not theirs; they're paid to control who comes through the doors. They don't get to argue back when the owner of the bar/club says 'I don't want anymore men in here, or I only want white people coming in now'. If they do they're gonna lose that job.

And yeah, perhaps try the job. It isn't particularly pleasant standing around checking IDs and constantly searching people. Only gets worse when you get drunken idiots spitting at you and shouting all the nonsense that they shout.

People who complain about bouncers tend to be the people that make bouncers have a harder job than they need to. Ultimately they are there to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those within the premises.
Reply 9
Original post by TorpidPhil
That's the club's fault not theirs; they're paid to control who comes through the doors. They don't get to argue back when the owner of the bar/club says 'I don't want anymore men in here, or I only want white people coming in now'. If they do they're gonna lose that job.

And yeah, perhaps try the job. It isn't particularly pleasant standing around checking IDs and constantly searching people. Only gets worse when you get drunken idiots spitting at you and shouting all the nonsense that they shout.

People who complain about bouncers tend to be the people that make bouncers have a harder job than they need to. Ultimately they are there to ensure the safety and wellbeing of those within the premises.

Fair enough. I am aware that the club/event do request not too many men to women in ratio, and that ethnic minorities should be allowed in small numbers.

And I agree, I would hate the job. Good job I'm an optician.

As for ensuring the safety, I don't see how letting less ethnic minorities helps that. I'm white myself btw.
Fair enough. I am aware that the club/event do request not too many men to women in ratio, and that ethnic minorities should be allowed in small numbers.

As for ensuring the safety, I don't see how letting less ethnic minorities helps that. I'm white myself btw.

I guess they're given a quota that some minorities can reach relative to whites to prevent the club from being given a certain image.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that's more the wellbeing bit, or should I say 'enjoyment' of the patrons as far as the management is concerned.

Safety should be obvious though - so there is no overcrowding, so that weapons and drugs don't get on the premises, so that known troublemakers, aggressive, overly drunk or otherwise inebriated people are refused entry. And then most bouncers are trained first-aiders too.
Reply 12
Original post by drandy76
I guess they're given a quota that some minorities can reach relative to whites to prevent the club from being given a certain image.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, it's most probably that. One of the guys who I go with is asian and he always gets in though. Well he is quite small and physically weak so is unlikely to overpower anyone in a fight. However the black guy who I go with gets denied entry sometimes.
Original post by UWS

exactly I have family in the security business and that encompasses everything from nightclub and festival bouncers to guarding celebrities and convicts even transporting valuables on occasion
and they are paid to protect the target and will make sure any possible threat is neutralised
in a nightclub it's just geting a warning and then if they don't listen outcomes the baton
but in some cases it is shoot to main/kill neutralisation and most of them have had to do it at least once
Well they need to be, they're dealing with drunk people. Being a softie isn't part of their role.*

Is that even legal? And please tell me what club that is so i i know to never step foot in it. I'd be incredibly annoyed if my friend was treated like that
Original post by jamesthehustler
exactly I have family in the security business and that encompasses everything from nightclub and festival bouncers to guarding celebrities and convicts even transporting valuables on occasion
and they are paid to protect the target and will make sure any possible threat is neutralised
in a nightclub it's just geting a warning and then if they don't listen outcomes the baton
but in some cases it is shoot to main/kill neutralisation and most of them have had to do it at least once

You living in the US or something? You don't get batons in security here...

Original post by lucabrasi98
Is that even legal? And please tell me what club that is so i i know to never step foot in it. I'd be incredibly annoyed if my friend was treated like that

Most clubs are like this actually and it is perfectly legal because it's premises - they can use any excuse to not let you in. Ultimately it is up to the management of that place.
Original post by TorpidPhil

Most clubs are like this actually and it is perfectly legal because it's premises - they can use any excuse to not let you in. Ultimately it is up to the management of that place.

I googled and there are some occasions of the bouncers straight up saying it's because they're black. And others because the women were apparently fat. I also noticed that it's predominantly in expensive clubs.

Although from what I've seen it isn't most clubs. I know people of all ethnicities that go clubbing all the time and have never had anything like you described. And the media would have a field day if it were more common. And all the black artists that give liscense for clubs to play their songs would revoke them. Plus the bad publicity would cause numbers to fall.

Regardless, any club that would do that to a group of people isn't one I'd want to give any money to.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm assuming bouncers are dicks because incredibly drunk people tend to act like dicks to them.
I've been going out for years and never had any problems with bouncers.....seriously. This is being out regularly in 3 different cities.

But you meet some people who seem to always have problems with bouncers. Same as some people always seem to have problems with the police, or always seem to have 'unfair speeding tickets' and so on
Original post by lucabrasi98
I googled and there are some occasions of the bouncers straight up saying it's because they're black. And others because the women were apparently fat. I also noticed that it's predominantly in expensive clubs.

Although from what I've seen it isn't most clubs. I know people of all ethnicities that go clubbing all the time and have never had anything like you described. And the media would have a field day if it were more common. And all the black artists that give liscense for clubs to play their songs would revoke them. Plus the bad publicity would cause numbers to fall.

Regardless, any club that would do that to a group of people isn't one I'd want to give any money to.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm assuming bouncers are dicks because incredibly drunk people tend to act like dicks to them.

Well quite often they just shadow it under something else rather than explicitly saying "we don't want ugly people". "We have enough blacks for now" etc.

They'll say they're overcrowded at the moment or make up some other excuse.

Quick Reply

Latest