The Student Room Group

Anyone know any good resources for learning languages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
Whilst I agree there are grammar mistakes in their post, it would actually be helpful for you to point out their mistakes as opposed to just being a patronising ass and puking up a *****y insult instead.

Don't bother posting unless you actually have something to contribute.

Haha fair enough, if someone wrote what I did it would annoy me 😂 If they want my help then I will supply
Original post by mgill17
To someone who did two languages at a degree study level maybe. But we're all individual. The point is you're not saying that memorising words is harder at all. You said just as easy. Of course this is dependent on the language too.

And by second nature I meant as in the point where you don't have to 'translate' a word, like you can look at an object/hear the word without needing that (albeit short) mental time to swap it into English (I'm not sure if that makes sense but usually in the early stages I have to spend those little mental minutes changing the words due to unfamiliarity). And by bad retention I'm not talking like a few days/weeks or even months here. I can retain words for about a year, but that's still bad retention if long-term communication is the goal...in fact I haven't looked at French since pre-GCSE and I found one of my old vocab books and remembered pretty much all of it. My issue is that, like I said to someone else, because I'm not learning these principles..because I'm not learning how to equip the language (sometimes even in simple sentences - that just depends on what language it is) I don't actively further my study in it, because if all I can do is learn more words that I can't put together then all I'm doing is learning words, not a language. I can't use a language if I don't even know the fundamentals of structures...of course I'm going to make mistakes. I still make mistakes in English but then how do I learn the correct structures if I can't find the resources. Literally the whole point of this thread is me looking for a structural source.

And in terms of the cultural influences. I tend to look into the culture of countries a lot. Like that interests me anyway. Obviously not to major depth in terms of the linguistic effects and I do get that if I gained a low intermediate skill I would need to do more. Which I'd find more enjoyable than anything.
But, some countries especially, have such unique and delicate cultural histories that are absolutely amazing, regardless of whether someone wants to learn the language, I think culture is a great thing to look at and acknowledge.

Resources are literally everywhere-online newspapers, online radio, videos in the language on youtube, grammar books in shops, vocab sites. Finding the resources is the easy part!

For German you could look at die Zeit, die Welt, Bild, Handelsblatt, der Spiegel and Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung for newspaper resources. For films, to help improve your listening, I'd recommend Das Leben des Anderes, Die Welle, Run Lola Run, Goodbye Lenin and Das Boot. No matter what your level, exposing yourself to the language in it's native setting is greatly beneficial to language learning. As a beginner, it can help you get used to the flow of the language and how it sounds, whereas as you get more advanced, you'll be able to analyse the vocab and grammar used in a lot more depth.

You'll easily be able to find a wide range of grammar books in the language section of any reputable book store, or online from Amazon.
Original post by umar39
Explain? :frown:

Spoiler

Wie bist du mein Freund? This is a direct translation from English and pretty much never used by Germans, for the same sentiment use: Wie gehts?

Wie lange has du Deutsche lernen?
This should be 'Wie lange HAST du Deutsch GELERNT' this is du to haben becoming hast when used in the 2nd person (du) and lernen becomes gelernt.

Kannst du gute Deutsche sprechen?
I guess this is right but feels clunky try 'Wie gut ist deine Deutsch?'

Ich habe fur drei Jahre Deutsche gelernen. Fur zwei Jahre (year 7-8) , habe ich Franzosisich gelernen aber das war langweillig fur mich. Ich denke Duetsche ist viel besser als Franzosisich? Was denkst du?

Not to be rude but this passage shows that you probably havnt been formally taught much German grammar. I wouldn't really write it how you have but I'll just try and correct the grammar you've used and not your general sentence structure: Ich habe für drei Jahren Deutsch gelernt. Für zwei Jahren (year 7-8) habe Ich Franzözisch(sp?) gelernt aber das hab Ich lanweilich gefunden (or das fande Ich langweilig MAYBE I can't really remember that been a while). Ich denke dass, Deustch lernen viel mehr spaß als Franzözisch macht, was denkst du?!

Hope this helps if I have made any mistakes feel free to call me out its been a while since I've studied German!
Reply 23
Original post by James_mc
Wie bist du mein Freund? This is a direct translation from English and pretty much never used by Germans, for the same sentiment use: Wie gehts?

Wie lange has du Deutsche lernen?
This should be 'Wie lange HAST du Deutsch GELERNT' this is du to haben becoming hast when used in the 2nd person (du) and lernen becomes gelernt.

Kannst du gute Deutsche sprechen?
I guess this is right but feels clunky try 'Wie gut ist deine Deutsch?'

Ich habe fur drei Jahre Deutsche gelernen. Fur zwei Jahre (year 7-8) , habe ich Franzosisich gelernen aber das war langweillig fur mich. Ich denke Duetsche ist viel besser als Franzosisich? Was denkst du?

Not to be rude but this passage shows that you probably havnt been formally taught much German grammar. I wouldn't really write it how you have but I'll just try and correct the grammar you've used and not your general sentence structure: Ich habe für drei Jahren Deutsch gelernt. Für zwei Jahren (year 7-8) habe Ich Franzözisch(sp?) gelernt aber das hab Ich lanweilich gefunden (or das fande Ich langweilig MAYBE I can't really remember that been a while). Ich denke dass, Deustch lernen viel mehr spaß als Franzözisch macht, was denkst du?!

Hope this helps if I have made any mistakes feel free to call me out its been a while since I've studied German!

You're a very rude person! :biggrin: I'm only a noob GCSE german student OK? I'm barely working at an A grade atm (which my teacher(s) constantly remind me about). I don't need this stress/worry/embarrassment from the German master himself!:fuhrer: Leave me for you have wounded me!

Honestly, now that I look back I made some pretty basic errors. Most of these were probably caused because I'm too lazy to proofread. I have never had a German teacher for more than a year so I'm constantly being taught exactly the same stuff every year. (excuses, excuses I know). What level did/are you studying German at? Your German is profoundly better than mine :smile:
Original post by umar39
You're a very rude person! :biggrin: I'm only a noob GCSE german student OK? I'm barely working at an A grade atm (which my teacher(s) constantly remind me about). I don't need this stress/worry/embarrassment from the German master himself!:fuhrer: Leave me for you have wounded me!

Honestly, now that I look back I made some pretty basic errors. Most of these were probably caused because I'm too lazy to proofread. I have never had a German teacher for more than a year so I'm constantly being taught exactly the same stuff every year. (excuses, excuses I know). What level did/are you studying German at? Your German is profoundly better than mine :smile:

Honesty shouldn't be mistaken for rudeness, maybe I am slightly blunt however. I went on exchange for two months over the course of a couple of years and got an A at A level.
I didn't realise you were only a GCSE student I'm sorry if I put you down a bit, keep going and try and tech yourself verb tables and stuff it'll make sure you smash it, also I'd say the biggest thing at GCSE is to make flash cards with vocab and just do like 15-20 mins a day and you'll ace it :smile: good luck with your exams
Original post by mgill17
I started using that for German actually a while ago but I think it's best as a support for learning whilst doing outside studying. It doesn't help my with conjugation at all..perhaps I didn't stick with it long enough?...also hi Jin:h:

Yeah it definitely is more suited for support alongside class learning but is a great resource in that respect. I've been using it for about a year to top up on German after I finished my A levels and it helps refresh my memory a lot :smile: For learning conjugation I think it might be best to use a memorisation app like Memrise or Quizlet or just find some verb tables and learn them that way (that's how I had to learn the cases). And hi lmao, it seems like ARMYs are everywhere I go now haha :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by HyruleTenshi
Yeah it definitely is more suited for support alongside class learning but is a great resource in that respect. I've been using it for about a year to top up on German after I finished my A levels and it helps refresh my memory a lot :smile: For learning conjugation I think it might be best to use a memorisation app like Memrise or Quizlet or just find some verb tables and learn them that way (that's how I had to learn the cases). And hi lmao, it seems like ARMYs are everywhere I go now haha :biggrin:

I've never heard of quizlet so I'll look it up! I think looking up the verb tables might be useful but then I'd have to find good sources that could teach me the irregular conjugations and stuff. Plus the 'to be' verb tends to be a pain in any and every language when you're starting out. I imagine that would probably only be manageable through a native or a good teacher or a textbook. Do you know any good textbooks/websites that you might have used at GCSE? I did get to a point where my German was somewhat decent and okay and I could speak to the German half of my family (albeit quite basic) but I never did it at GCSE so I never did it at A Level and I can only say really basic things like 'the car is red'.
And yeah, we seem to be absolutely everywhere now it's kinda terrifying. I could be listening to a tiny indie small British band from about twenty years ago or something completely obscure/opposite to BTS and you can basically guarantee someone with a Jimin icon is the top comment:redface:
Reply 27
Original post by H011aaa
Michel Thomas CDs from eBay or amazon. They are amazing.

I've just had to look up who this guy was because I had no clue and it all sounds rather impressive! The CDs don't look terribly expensive either so I might give it a try...thanks!
Original post by mgill17
I've never heard of quizlet so I'll look it up! I think looking up the verb tables might be useful but then I'd have to find good sources that could teach me the irregular conjugations and stuff. Plus the 'to be' verb tends to be a pain in any and every language when you're starting out. I imagine that would probably only be manageable through a native or a good teacher or a textbook. Do you know any good textbooks/websites that you might have used at GCSE? I did get to a point where my German was somewhat decent and okay and I could speak to the German half of my family (albeit quite basic) but I never did it at GCSE so I never did it at A Level and I can only say really basic things like 'the car is red'.
And yeah, we seem to be absolutely everywhere now it's kinda terrifying. I could be listening to a tiny indie small British band from about twenty years ago or something completely obscure/opposite to BTS and you can basically guarantee someone with a Jimin icon is the top comment:redface:

Quizlet is basically a flashcard website where people create sets of cards based on anything really (I'm using it for my degree atm hehe), for example this is a set for all the forms of the verb sein (to be), so I guess you could look into using those for learning some verbs :smile: For GCSE and A level we had the textbooks given to us but if you did want to look into buying them this is the one we used for GCSE :smile: (There's a higher and foundation version and there's also a workbook you can get).

Haha yes I see that as well all the time with YouTube comments :biggrin: It's weird having followed BTS since their debut and having seen them become as big as they are now hehe :h:
Original post by pizzanomics
There's looooooads.

Duolingo, Mondly, Quizlet, /r/german, /r/languagelearning, Anki, get some PDFs of grammar books online, Clozemaster, DeutscheWelle.
All of those are free, and that's not even scratching the surface.

Check here for a good, full list.

Don't pay for anything. With the exception of lessons (which aren't even neccesary, only take them if you want to), then you don't need to pay a single penny to learn a language. All you need is motivation. Instead of spending £150 on Rosetta Stone, buy yourself a plane ticket to Germany and speak with local people.

I've spent £90 on Japanese books so far. Do not regret. They're fantastic resources and worth every penny!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've spent £90 on Japanese books so far. Do not regret. They're fantastic resources and worth every penny!

I wasn't suggesting that all paid stuff is rubbish - there are some great paid resources out there (although Rosetta Stone definitely isn't one of them..:redface:) - but you don't need to pay any money to learn a language if you don't want to.

Spending money might even be a good thing to do because I guess it could make you more motivated to learn since you've spent money so you'd want to make the most of it and get your money's worth.
Reply 31
Original post by umar39

Hhaha ignore him, his German grammar wasn't perfect either. If you want any German pointers feel free to ask me, I'm just completing my year abroad and am about to go into final year studying German.

Viel Spaß :smile:
Reply 32
Quizlet is basically a flashcard website where people create sets of cards based on anything really (I'm using it for my degree atm hehe), for example this is a set for all the forms of the verb sein (to be), so I guess you could look into using those for learning some verbs :smile: For GCSE and A level we had the textbooks given to us but if you did want to look into buying them this is the one we used for GCSE :smile: (There's a higher and foundation version and there's also a workbook you can get).

Haha yes I see that as well all the time with YouTube comments :biggrin: It's weird having followed BTS since their debut and having seen them become as big as they are now hehe :h:

That looks really good actually, especially since it has verb stuff and that is my main quarry. Thanks! I'll definitely have to use that. As for the textbook, I'll see if I can find it for a low low price, depending on how much I know relative to a GCSE spec might make the book either perfect or too over or under complex for me (I'd go with over tbh:s-smilie:)

Same! I found them on youtube by total accident a few months before they debuted and it's weird to think we had their third anniversary this year! It's so nice to see them doing well. I'm not usually into any of that style of music or kpop generally and admittedly they're the only group I've ever really followed (although I do have a soft spot for AKMU too)...I expected to maybe 'grow out of them' but I'm so glad I haven't!
Reply 33
Original post by anna__
Hhaha ignore him, his German grammar wasn't perfect either. If you want any German pointers feel free to ask me, I'm just completing my year abroad and am about to go into final year studying German.

Viel Spaß :smile:

Hey! Just out of interest where abouts did you study in Germany?...it's also another part of the reason I am interested in the language since it's a possibility for me to study there/work there (and I have a bit of family in Hameln/Hamelin).
Reply 34
Original post by mgill17
Hey! Just out of interest where abouts did you study in Germany?...it's also another part of the reason I am interested in the language since it's a possibility for me to study there/work there (and I have a bit of family in Hameln/Hamelin).

I did two work placements - the first doing British Council in Lower Saxony and just completing a work placement in Bonn but living in Cologne :smile:
If you don't want to do straight languages I thoroughly recommend doing dual honours with German :smile:
Original post by mgill17
That looks really good actually, especially since it has verb stuff and that is my main quarry. Thanks! I'll definitely have to use that. As for the textbook, I'll see if I can find it for a low low price, depending on how much I know relative to a GCSE spec might make the book either perfect or too over or under complex for me (I'd go with over tbh:s-smilie:)

Same! I found them on youtube by total accident a few months before they debuted and it's weird to think we had their third anniversary this year! It's so nice to see them doing well. I'm not usually into any of that style of music or kpop generally and admittedly they're the only group I've ever really followed (although I do have a soft spot for AKMU too)...I expected to maybe 'grow out of them' but I'm so glad I haven't!

Yeah as long as you research there will always be good language resources, it's all about finding what works best for you individually and working out what level you're at :smile:

And yeah I know what you mean haha. I've been into kpop since 2010 and it's always stuck by me since then haha. I think it just goes hand in hand with my interest in languages really hehe :h:
Reply 36
Original post by anna__
I did two work placements - the first doing British Council in Lower Saxony and just completing a work placement in Bonn but living in Cologne :smile:
If you don't want to do straight languages I thoroughly recommend doing dual honours with German :smile:

Unfortunately I can't do dual honours with my course due to it's nature but I wish I could. The uni hold classes with native speakers anyway so I might pick those classes up if I have the time!
Cologne is so beautiful...I'm jealous:frown:
Reply 37
Yeah as long as you research there will always be good language resources, it's all about finding what works best for you individually and working out what level you're at :smile:

And yeah I know what you mean haha. I've been into kpop since 2010 and it's always stuck by me since then haha. I think it just goes hand in hand with my interest in languages really hehe :h:

That's always good! I'll do more looking around! Thanks!
I think part of the reason I enjoy them is that too plus the whole thing is a different cultural perspective...I love the history and present of so many other countries, they always seem so much interesting than English history/present culture but that's probably just because so much focus goes onto that in History at school
Reply 38
Original post by mgill17
Like websites or books? If it's a website preferably it'd be free, but books obviously I'm willing to buy.

I find languages really interesting but I find I can only stick with languages if I'm taught the sentence structures and grammatical principles and then I separately learn vocab rather than those textbooks or websites that don't show you how to conjugate or just teach you sentences without explaining why that word is the way it is.

As for the language, I am open to looking at any language right now to see what I like the look of but also I kind of want to start learn German like it's such a nice sounding language and I have German family (although they all speak English pretty great so...).

DUOLINGO!!! It is literally the best thing. I even used it for university level revision.

https://www.duolingo.com/

I see what you're saying about wanting to learn the grammar structures. I'm the same, this is the part that I enjoy and what makes it stick. In this case, I'd also use wordreference: http://www.wordreference.com/

It isn't just a translator, it contains all of the verb tables you need.

If you use these two alongside each other, you can build up good vocab and understanding the 'natural' way to say things, as well as being able to unpick the sentence and understand its structure.

This is what I did anyway. I hope it helps :smile:
Linguascope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending