The Student Room Group

Grammar schools to return

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nwmyname
Grammar Schools push kids further as they are in an environment with other clever children.
If they were in a state school, chances are that they accustom themselves to lower standards.

Why not a streamed school? I went to one and achieved all As and A*s, beating all my grammar school friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Everyone is equal. One person cannot be more intelligent than another. Everyone is a winner in equal Britain.
Original post by TurboCretin
While I fully support streaming kids based on ability in particular subjects, I'm not sure that having tiers of schools makes sense. Most kids have specific subjects they're better and worse at, and students who have a particular strength in one or two subjects shouldn't be barred from access to teachers (and classmates) of an appropriate calibre in those subjects. Otherwise, we're consigning valuable people to second rate education based on their performance in subjects which will likely be irrelevant to their chosen field.

Exactly. Some people are absolute whizzes at maths but hopeless at English. Having streams is perfect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Opening more grammar schools will cause people who aren't academically minded to be looked down upon even further.

Just have sets so people with lower abilities can have their needs catered for without disrupting people with high ability.
(edited 7 years ago)
Class segregation.
What about when wealthy children are coached for the admissions tests? Or poorer kids can't afford to travel to a grammar school?
I was the highest achiever at my state school, and had been bullied for five years for being clever- but I would much rather that than have been in such a streamlined system. It seems a bit like an 'I'm alright' approach.
Doesn't it also emphasise how academics is the only measure of intelligence? I mean, if someone is talented in the arts, they may be less gifted in English/ maths, and thus go to a 'less intelligent' school - simply because a particular grammar school values different skills?
Original post by lucabrasi98
Why do you think so? Everyone I've seen say this has seemingly plucked the assumption from the air. I've seen no credible evidence of anything the people against grammar schools have said. Maybe there's a study I've missed.

Anyway, there's lots of fee paying schools already. There's also already grammar schools with 0 intention of ever becoming fee paying schools. It wouldn't affect anyone that doesn't want to pay.

As for your thing about peaking, I'd rather reward those who did well in year 6 than punish everyone. I disagree with it having anything to do with peaking anyway. The tests are often given in a way that anyone can sit them regardless of content covered. There's a reason why there's seperate tests instead of them using sats results.

They even adjust your marks depending on your birthday (an 8 month birthday advantage is more significant in kids than it is in young adults). They're made to be as fair as possible.

Plus it's misleading to say grammar schools failed.

http://www.mbctimes.com/english/20-best-education-systems-world

It's worth noting that every country ahead of us has no sort of grammar school ban as far as I'm aware.

You think having a normal education is punishment? And you're happy for everyone else to have a worse standard of education, if you yourself are clever enough to get a better one?

It's an unfair and biased system and its everything i don't like about this uk Tory crony society there seems to be. Rich stay rich and poor stay poor isn't it just. Not everyone can afford the extensive 11+ coaching that we're seeing today, and thats only going to get worse...

A lot of state schools havemade huge improvements in getting their 5A*-C grades for most pupils, and all I see is those standards plummeting when the best students and the best teachers going to grammars.

As I said before, I think changing the state school system a bit is better than creating a whole load of grammars. Improve the way people are set in terms of ability and there is literally zero problem. Learning how to interact with a variety of people is important imho.
Grammar schools also entice more teachers to qualify and come into the profession.

Imagine if you wanted to be a teacher. Would you teach a standard comprehensive school or a high achieving grammar school in your area, knowing that the government is going to pump more money into the grammar school system under Theresa May.

Frankly, I don't want teachers who think that way.
Original post by Gman786
Put it this way... One of the reasons I got interviewed at imperial and UCL for engineering was the fact that i was at a grammar school... The interviewer said this himself.

Grammar schools are rare at the moment, only 1 or 2 in each borough in london. Now they are coming back I think its gonna reduce 'wow factor'.

Interesting to hear this :smile: I'd heard the opposite, because someone at an ordinary state school will often have needed to be much more self-motivated to reach the grades, thus have greater potential in higher education
Reply 109
Grammar schools also entice more teachers to qualify and come into the profession.

Imagine if you wanted to be a teacher. Would you teach a standard comprehensive school or a high achieving grammar school in your area, knowing that the government is going to pump more money into the grammar school system under Theresa May.

This is a great point too, it means that there will be more teachers but they will be with the high achievers leaving the average and below average students with average and below average teachers. This will eventually get us as a country into a cycle of having our old class system of middle and working class kids that will each have different educations
Original post by Bornblue
So we just give the less intelligent pupils worse teachers and let them rot?

Making good kids great is easy, making bad kids good is far harder. It takes far more ability to teach less academically intelligent children.

Exactly. Some people are absolute whizzes at maths but hopeless at English. Having streams is perfect.

Agreed on both counts here...in general better students are more self-motivated and less in need of guidance. It seems bizarre to throw more resources at them for, most likely, relatively small gains. In my school, a fairly poor comprehensive, those students who did well in standardised tests like myself ended up doing well academically anyway, in spite of the teaching not usually being good. Were we in a grammar school, we could have maybe added a few more A*s to the tally...so what? Surely the more grammar schools we have, the more tiered our education system becomes, and the more left behind the majority will be?

Conversely though I do think streaming has its place. This basically just refers to the fairly common practice of splitting classes into sets right? It would seem that it avoids allocating superior resources to people based on ability, but still allows people to move at a pace that is comfortable for them.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Agreed on both counts here...in general better students are more self-motivated and less in need of guidance. It seems bizarre to throw more resources at them for, most likely, relatively small gains. In my school, a fairly poor comprehensive, those students who did well in standardised tests like myself ended up doing well academically anyway, in spite of the teaching not usually being good. Were we in a grammar school, we could have maybe added a few more A*s to the tally...so what? Surely the more grammar schools we have, the more tiered our education system becomes, and the more left behind the majority will be?

Conversely though I do think streaming has its place. This basically just refers to the fairly common practice of splitting classes into sets right? It would seem that it avoids allocating superior resources to people based on ability, but still allows people to move at a pace that is comfortable for them.

Yes, my school was a comprehensive and streamed and it was fantastic for both the weaker students and the stronger ones.

It meant that those who weren't so gifted when they were 11 had a chance to work their way up the sets, while allowing the strongest students to really be pushed.

It also catered well for students who were great at some subjects and poor at others.

I can't really see any advantages that a grammar school has over a streamed school.
Original post by 1010marina
You think having a normal education is punishment? And you're happy for everyone else to have a worse standard of education, if you yourself are clever enough to get a better one?

It's an unfair and biased system and its everything i don't like about this uk Tory crony society there seems to be. Rich stay rich and poor stay poor isn't it just. Not everyone can afford the extensive 11+ coaching that we're seeing today, and thats only going to get worse...

A lot of state schools havemade huge improvements in getting their 5A*-C grades for most pupils, and all I see is those standards plummeting when the best students and the best teachers going to grammars.

As I said before, I think changing the state school system a bit is better than creating a whole load of grammars. Improve the way people are set in terms of ability and there is literally zero problem. Learning how to interact with a variety of people is important imho.

But why should the target be a pass if everyone is taught to focus on A's they will try harder.

For instance a friend of mine at a grammar school got all A's except in maths where she got an B. When she found this out she broke down crying as she believed this was a fail in that subject as she was taught to alway aim for A's were as most comprehensive schools tell student aim for that golden C as if an C is an accomplishment.
Yes, my school was a comprehensive and streamed and it was fantastic for both the weaker students and the stronger ones.

It meant that those who weren't so gifted when they were 11 had a chance to work their way up the sets, while allowing the strongest students to really be pushed.

It also catered well for students who were great at some subjects and poor at others.

I can't really see any advantages that a grammar school has over a streamed school.

Some streamed secondary schools are great sounds like your was however others are terrible.

My streamed secondary school dragged me down two sets because I didn't like P.E and also I was capable of set 1 maths, science and IT However my English was more like set 3 but you couldn't mix sets so it was either do all set one or all set 3
Original post by niteninja1
Some streamed secondary schools are great sounds like your was however others are terrible.

My streamed secondary school dragged me down two sets because I didn't like P.E and also I was capable of set 1 maths, science and IT However my English was more like set 3 but you couldn't mix sets so it was either do all set one or all set 3

Similarly some grammar schools will be great, others less so.
I absolutely agree with the idea that top students should be pushed but I see no reason why this cannot be done within a streamed school which doesn't cast away those who had a bad exam day when they were 11.

Some children are late bloomers, I was. Some children are great at maths and awful at English, or great at Geography and terrible at science etc.

Having streamed sets for all abilities caters for that.

Your experience doesn't sound great but it sounds like bad planning rather than a bad concept.
I like May, because she is standing up for what she believes in!
Similarly some grammar schools will be great, others less so.
I absolutely agree with the idea that top students should be pushed but I see no reason why this cannot be done within a streamed school which doesn't cast away those who had a bad exam day when they were 11.

Some children are late bloomers, I was. Some children are great at maths and awful at English, or great at Geography and terrible at science etc.

Having streamed sets for all abilities caters for that.

Your experience doesn't sound great but it sounds like bad planning rather than a bad concept.

You do realise that students can also do a 13+ right to start in a grammar at 13
I went a grammar school. Everyone around you is intelligent but I didn't find that particularly useful, it actually got to be kind of annoying. Kids in grammar schools aren't any better behaved despite what you might think, the only thing you're actually assessed on to get in is intelligence (there was one kid that came up with ingenious ways of stealing for example, he was caught years later because he got sloppy, there's fights and so on but all of this sort of thing is covered up and kept quiet), it's not based on anything else aside from tests and the proximity you live from the school.

I'm sure a lot of you'll find it annoying too when you go to university and you do engineering or something and you realise how smart everyone is.
The teaching quality wasn't particularly spectacular. I never relied on teachers to teach me though, which is how I got into a grammar school in the first place. A lot of people tend to be this way that go to these types of schools, it doesn't really matter where they end up. They're going to do well in exams anyway.

Aside from maybe helping in applying later on to places like Oxford or Cambridge I really don't really think it matters very much which school you go to.
If you didn't go to a grammar school places like Oxford and Cambridge statistically take people from comprehensive schools that have shown good leadership and become head boy or head girl (even though they claim that they only look at grades, that's clearly a lie), so as long as you can show something like that and you get good grades then it won't matter and you'll be more likely to get in.

I doubt that new grammar schools will be given the same treatment the already existing grammar schools are given by Oxbridge anyway, at least not for a long time.
(edited 7 years ago)

Oh my goodness. Really? You can't think of anything?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by niteninja1
You do realise that students can also do a 13+ right to start in a grammar at 13

But why not just have streams making the whole process far easier and more fluid?

Also what happens if someone is great at maths and awful at English?
I don't see what grammar schools offer than streamed schools do not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending