The Student Room Group

London accent - anyone else think it sounds horrendous?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inhuman
Like someone from say Liverpool has a strong accent, too. But that sounds more like a "normal" accent.

With that London accent, I just can't help but feel that it sounds like trash. Like you are from the ghetto. Ugh. It hurts my ears.

Anyone else?

Yes, imho the London accent is hideous, give me a lovely Edinburgh accent anyday of the week :love:
Original post by TurboCretin
How do people in south london talk? I was never really aware of a difference...

You know, fam, coz, waste man, *lip whistle*, that kind of accent and speech.
Reply 42
Original post by upperechelon
What's that got to do with accents though? If anything, the London accent is the standard in the UK; closest to the Queen's English, and the most coherent, I'm not putting down other accents, but you must be joking if you think London accents are abnormal

The Queen talks like a chav from a council estate?

Yea, don't think so.
Reply 43
Original post by dkj50496
And who said petty snobbery was dead?

The point is they want to sound like that...it's as if someone was purposefully trying to sound retarded.
Original post by inhuman
The Queen talks like a chav from a council estate?

Yea, don't think so.

You do realise that's a minority; most people I know speak with a generic English accent. Roadmen arent representative of the whole of London
Reply 45
You do realise that's a minority; most people I know speak with a generic English accent. Roadmen arent representative of the whole of London

Roadmen?

Is that a term for a group of people or do you actually mean roadside construction workers? Because if so, I don't mean those.
Original post by inhuman
Roadmen?

Is that a term for a group of people or do you actually mean roadside construction workers? Because if so, I don't mean those.

I'm referring to those you mentioned in an earlier post that put on a 'chavvy' accent on purpose. You're taking one type of London accent and calling all London accents 'horrendous'. I don't know whether you're trying to be provocative on purpose, either way you just seem like an ********.
(edited 7 years ago)
As a Northerner I can make out five accents from that part of the world.

Roadman

Mellow RP

Squawking RP

Cockney

Queen's English

4/5 don't annoy the f**k out of me.
Reply 48
I'm referring to those you mentioned in an earlier post that put on a 'chavvy' accent on purpose. You're taking one type of London accent and calling all London accents 'horrendous'. I don't know whether you're trying to be provocative on purpose, either way you just seem like an ********.

Well to me that's the "London" accent. What the others in London speak is just English, no accent.
Lmfao - I never understood why people hate it so much.. sounds alright to me :lol:
Original post by inhuman
The point is they want to sound like that...it's as if someone was purposefully trying to sound retarded.

'Want' implies that the accent is adopted the way you speak tends, more often than not, to be the product of your circumstances of birth and not something you choose. As Orwell said, your circumstances of birth are 'branded on the tongue'. Perhaps there are a few minority groups who speak with the accent I suspect you're alluding to ('innit bruv', etc.) to gain more of a rep. In those cases, are they really any different to any other group altering their accent to better fit in? This is completely commonplace working-class students trying to fit in at elite universities, and vice versa; even people who have a professional voice and a casual one (that being most). So what's the difference here? That this particular accent is 'retarded'? That says more about your snobbery than anything else, I must say.
you do though :mmm:

-----------
And yeh it is quite a bad accent but the one thing it has going for it is because it can be quite abrasive it is clear and the posher one is really well spoken lol
kind of wish i still had mine cos i would be able to speak really clearly but meh such is life
Original post by Student403
Lmfao - I never understood why people hate it so much.. sounds alright to me :lol:

People only hate it in this country. Mixture of sheeple/the way it's portrayed.

Overseas (especially in the US) it is not hated.
Reply 53
Original post by inhuman
Well to me that's the "London" accent. What the others in London speak is just English, no accent.

Let's get things straight: everyone has an accent and there is no such thing as a "London" accent. Even in south London there's a large mixture of accents, the chavvy/ roadman accent is not nearly as common as you'd think.
I'm in SE London and tbh my voice flutters. Sometimes I say init or don't prunounce my Ts but other times I sound like I'm from Chelsea, especially when I'm drunk
Reply 55
Original post by dkj50496
'Want' implies that the accent is adopted the way you speak tends, more often than not, to be the product of your circumstances of birth and not something you choose. As Orwell said, your circumstances of birth are 'branded on the tongue'. Perhaps there are a few minority groups who speak with the accent I suspect you're alluding to ('innit bruv', etc.) to gain more of a rep. In those cases, are they really any different to any other group altering their accent to better fit in? This is completely commonplace working-class students trying to fit in at elite universities, and vice versa; even people who have a professional voice and a casual one (that being most). So what's the difference here? That this particular accent is 'retarded'? That says more about your snobbery than anything else, I must say.

How am I a snob? I have said that to me even those accents that I can't even understand like Liverpool or Manchester (like come on, who wouldn't say stevie g had a terrible accent) are just that, accents, whereas this one is not just an accent but more a representation of personality. And it's one that sorry, yes, sounds stupid.

What does that have to do with being a "snob"? If anything arrogance, as I am calling them stupid in a way. I have met and gone to school with people from really not so great backgrounds, and yet they didn't try to speak like that.
What do you mean 'London accent'? There's not just one accent in London. My accent is pretty much standard southern English (like the type you'd hear on the BBC) and you're saying that sounds like trash? Lolwut?
It's a bit too posh for my liking but hey what more can I say, 'am a Brummeh myself and lots of ppl act like they don't like the Brummie accent so yeah lol 😂😁💖
Omg you still remember? :rofl: So is yours tbh!
:mmm: my fave pasttime :lol:
just dont go all fat and wobbly :nooo:
and looool what are u on about? :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest