The Student Room Group

Scared to go to uni! Don't know if I'm ready?!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by storminateacup1
I’m so stressed about whether the university and the course is right for me and I have no idea what I want to do with my life anymore. I've tried looking up universities I might want to apply to through clearing but I just don’t know what to do 😔 everything option feels like it’s just going to lead to an equally **** future. I might be over-thinking it, trying to guess where my course could take me and what doors it will close but it feels like the happiness of the rest of my life rests on my uni years. The uni I've firmed just feels wrong, the people, the atmosphere, the place, all of it. But if I go to another uni I feel like I'm just gonna end up unemployed. I can't take a gap year because I have no money, what do people do in their gap years? Please someone offer me some pearls of wisdom, anything! It's film production I was planning on doing btw

What uni have you firmed? Why did you firm it if you hate every single thing about it? That's just setting yourself up for failure.

Talking as a graduate who has secured a graduate job, the uni name means a **** lot less than you think. They didn't even care which uni I went to, they just cared I had a degree.

Also, your degree classification and subject are nothing but ticks in a box. What they really care about is what you learnt from your experience both academically, but more importantly EXTRA-CURRICULARLY. So if you don't get involved with a mixture society committees, volunteering, summer internships, part time work and study abroad, you'll have no hope of finding employment, regardless of your degree classification and university.
Original post by shanwood1
I completely understand that know one knows that their subject is for them because this was evident when i started my art degree. I am know in the process of contemplating things which is effecting the way I choose my decision

I’m so stressed about whether the university and the course is right for me and I have no idea what I want to do with my life anymore. I've tried looking up universities I might want to apply to through clearing but I just don’t know what to do 😔 everything option feels like it’s just going to lead to an equally **** future. I might be over-thinking it, trying to guess where my course could take me and what doors it will close but it feels like the happiness of the rest of my life rests on my uni years. The uni I've firmed just feels wrong, the people, the atmosphere, the place, all of it. But if I go to another uni I feel like I'm just gonna end up unemployed. I can't take a gap year because I have no money, what do people do in their gap years? Please someone offer me some pearls of wisdom, anything! It's film production I was planning on doing btw

You could try Sociology, Psychology or Criminology. All degrees take a certain amount of acclimatisation! Maybe do joint honours like i did??
Original post by super_kawaii
What uni have you firmed? Why did you firm it if you hate every single thing about it? That's just setting yourself up for failure.

Talking as a graduate who has secured a graduate job, the uni name means a **** lot less than you think. They didn't even care which uni I went to, they just cared I had a degree.

Also, your degree classification and subject are nothing but ticks in a box. What they really care about is what you learnt from your experience both academically, but more importantly EXTRA-CURRICULARLY. So if you don't get involved with a mixture society committees, volunteering, summer internships, part time work and study abroad, you'll have no hope of finding employment, regardless of your degree classification and university.

What job did you get super k?

Staffordshire University, it has good employment prospects for my course and I thought that should be my priority but I'm just so not looking forward to it now
Why don't you just take time out and get a job/several jobs, find out what you like and don't like a bit better before committing to 3 years of studying A Thing?
Staffordshire University, it has good employment prospects for my course and I thought that should be my priority but I'm just so not looking forward to it now

When I applied, I didn't even look at employment prospects, because they change so much year on year so you can't get anything valuable from looking at them and they mean nothing for your prospects.

What you should be looking at are the modules on offer, the quality of teaching, the pastoral support, the volunteering and society opportunities on offer, study abroad and year in industry opportunities, as well as how you'd feel living in the city as a whole. These are what will affect your time at uni and ultimately how employable you are. If you go to a uni you despise just because of one irrelevant thing, you'll only end up hating it, never getting involved with anything, doing badly on your course, and ending up being unemployable. A degree in itself isn't a magic key to walking into a job-you have to earn it by improving all your skills and doing well throughout the whole of your degree, both inside and outside the classroom
Reply 26
Try a more broad degree like media or film studies
Original post by john2054
What job did you get super k?

A teacher in a private school. A good degree is a requirement*
A teacher in a private school. A good degree is a requirement*

I wanted to be a teacher, but i was told that i couldn't because i have a criminal record. Not that my brain isn't up to the job?

God knows what i can do now, a researcher maybe?

I also want to learn how to drive, and am just waiting to hear back to see if i can get a provisional?
That's the thing I really am so unsure because I am constantly trying to have a set mind on finding and focusing on what I am interested in.
In terms of subjects in school i've always liked art, english, ICT, geography and spanish. I then did these subjects at Alevel and it turns out that although I did enjoy them I wouldnt want to do them as a degree.

enjoy reading... this is normally daily news, advise collumns, romantic novels

documentary and TV shows... the Speakmens (where people discuss their issues and they help them cope), chat shows, comedies, reality shows, horror and rom com films, historical documentries like Auschswitz etc...

I just really don't know and it is scaring me!!!

Maybe English / Modern Languages or perhaps something in Media Studies? But look around hard for a course that suits you.

I'm interested, what was wrong for you about the Fine Arts course at Leeds? Was it the course itself, the people, the way it was taught? If you can identify what specifically was wrong for you, that may help you choose better this time.
How do you know you are ready for university?
How do you know what course is for you?
What advice would you give me if you were scared of going to uni? Is it normal?
Should I wait and go to uni when I am more mature?

you Kinda feel it i mean are you getting a little fed up of collage and want a
change then it's tome for uni (well it was for me anyway). For a course think what do I enjoy and what am I good at ect?

what you are feeling is quite normal it's called nerves and we all go through it at some point.

Do you pl\an to live in halls if you do that's fantastic you have a ready made
grope up of friends right there for you.
Hi my name is Shannon and I am 19 years old. Since I can remember, I have always been a worrier and overthought a lot when it comes to school, grades and careers as I put immense pressure on myself. I will tell you a little bit about me, I am a very studious and determined individual when it comes down to education and achieve really good grades that I am proud of. I applied to do Fine Art BA Hons at Leeds and started it in September last year but it seemed to me that this wasn't the course for me and other reasons besides that, so I ended up leaving giving myself more time to think about a course carefully.
This is the point I am at now and I am extremely scared that I am going to make
another wrong decision and rushing into choosing my degree again. I really want to go to university and I know I will but I am just scared atm and I don't know why?
I would like to ask you people who are reading this....
How do you know you are ready for university?
How do you know what course is for you?
What advice would you give me if you were scared of going to uni? Is it normal?
Should I wait and go to uni when I am more mature?

What do you want a career in? is it important to have a degree in the career you want to go into? have you considered any apprenticeships or school leavers programmes?
Reply 32
Original post by OceanRose
What do you want a career in? is it important to have a degree in the career you want to go into? have you considered any apprenticeships or school leavers programmes?

I want to do something which works with people. i am good at giving advise, im very organised and I like to see myself being responsible for helping people ie, careers advise, student welfare etc... It is just choosing the degree that I am stumped at because I just dont know!!
Only one way to find out
I want to do something which works with people. i am good at giving advise, im very organised and I like to see myself being responsible for helping people ie, careers advise, student welfare etc... It is just choosing the degree that I am stumped at because I just dont know!!

Then educational studies or liberal arts could be a good choice for you-you could always do a PGCE once you graduate which will enable you to teach
Reply 35
Then educational studies or liberal arts could be a good choice for you-you could always do a PGCE once you graduate which will enable you to teach

Yeah i think so too, I just always seem to convince myself out of it and I don't know why?? I convince myself I wont enjoy it etc...
I dont think i want to do teaching but I could do PGCE if I decided to after
Ever since I could even pronounce university as 'uniberrsitee' I've wanted to go; I've always loved learning. Yet somehow I still don't feel prepared (even after taking 3 years to finish my A-Levels). Honestly, I don't think I'm supposed to be ready, I don't think anyone will ever be ready, I think the apprehension and the nervous energy I have regarding going to uni is kind of a good thing? idk I suppose it shows you're doing something worthwhile and important if you're questioning whether it's the right thing for you. Again I still don't know if I'm choosing the right course. Last September I applied for nursing and am somehow now doing psychology in September, initially starting sixth form wanting to do a medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry degree. After all that, even now I'm doubting whether I want to do psychology, (kinda wanna go into neuroscience now xD). What I'm trying to say here is that you'll never truly be prepared or have your mind fully made up, but you just have to leap into it and make the best of it I guess:h: maybe start with all the options you've ever thought about doing, or subjects you enjoy and creating some sort of mindmap. then look at entry requirements to narrow down choices, then make pros and cons lists about each subject, also stating what you could do/want to do with the degree afterwards (if you did want to use it). hopefully my essay was somewhat helpful. I hope you find the right course for you. Give me a message or whatever if you need anything:h:
Reply 37
Original post by dragonsonmars
Ever since I could even pronounce university as 'uniberrsitee' I've wanted to go; I've always loved learning. Yet somehow I still don't feel prepared (even after taking 3 years to finish my A-Levels). Honestly, I don't think I'm supposed to be ready, I don't think anyone will ever be ready, I think the apprehension and the nervous energy I have regarding going to uni is kind of a good thing? idk I suppose it shows you're doing something worthwhile and important if you're questioning whether it's the right thing for you. Again I still don't know if I'm choosing the right course. Last September I applied for nursing and am somehow now doing psychology in September, initially starting sixth form wanting to do a medicinal and pharmaceutical chemistry degree. After all that, even now I'm doubting whether I want to do psychology, (kinda wanna go into neuroscience now xD). What I'm trying to say here is that you'll never truly be prepared or have your mind fully made up, but you just have to leap into it and make the best of it I guess:h: maybe start with all the options you've ever thought about doing, or subjects you enjoy and creating some sort of mindmap. then look at entry requirements to narrow down choices, then make pros and cons lists about each subject, also stating what you could do/want to do with the degree afterwards (if you did want to use it). hopefully my essay was somewhat helpful. I hope you find the right course for you. Give me a message or whatever if you need anything:h:

Thank you for the message, I will give you a message very soon. Your advise has really helped me feel more at ease
Yeah i think so too, I just always seem to convince myself out of it and I don't know why?? I convince myself I wont enjoy it etc...
I dont think i want to do teaching but I could do PGCE if I decided to after

Being nervous about starting uni is normal-it's such a massive life change. Speaking as someone who's just graduated, no one's ever 100% ready to go to uni. You'll only be ready once you've done it. Make the most of your uni's support service if you need it-it's what they're there for.

Yeah, once you've got a bachelors degree, you can do a PGCE. You don't have to do it straight away though-I'm planning on doing a PGCE next year and using this year to work and earn some money.*
Thank you for the message, I will give you a message very soon. Your advise has really helped me feel more at ease

you're most welcome sweet! I just know how horrible anxiety of any sort is, so I'm glad to be of help somehow:h:

Quick Reply

Latest