The Student Room Group

Girls: How do you feel about wolf-whistling?

Poll

Girls: How do you feel about wolf-whistling on the street?

How do you feel about wolf-whistling? Do you like it? Is it threatening?

Edit: Guys are welcome to share their opinions in the comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dragonfly07
How do you feel about wolf-whistling? Do you like it? Is it threatening?

Attached poll coming soon.

There's been tens of threads on this before. They don't like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fish40
There's been tens of threads on this before. They don't like it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking to find out the degree of dislike and whether they find it threatening or just annoying.

The only reason for the first two options is for the sake of making the answers fair and keeping the options open.
Low class and in poor taste but ultimately harmless so long as it stays at that.
I don't do it. I think it is in poor taste and I can see why it's annoying but how can whistling at someone be threatening? Girls need to stop being so paranoid.
It doesn't bother me. Don't like it but don't dislike it as such.
Reply 6
A wolf whistle can be anywhere between flattering and threatening

It's usually the context and the behaviour of the whistler that helps us decide whether we are flattered or scared. Also whether they are alone or in a gang of males. If you're walking alone and group of boys/men are whistling and making crude comments, it is intimidating. When a guy gets angry because you don't smile or thank him for his "flattery" then it is even more scary.

Most girls and women have to navigate the line between being polite so we don't incite anger and violence and not be "too polite" and inciting the male to feel we want to be groped or more.

Paranoia is essentially the fear of something happening that couldn't or isn't. Well females are taught from very very young age that these outcomes are possible and maybe probable. So it's not paranoid to be on edge when someone whistles - because you don't know the outcome of the exchange.
As a male who is in his early 30s I can tell you how things have changed.

Its never been fully liked by women but only with the recent changes with things like political correctness has its been hated, not getting into that argument but its more political correctness has labelled certain things as offensive regardless of if it is or not.

It can be offensive, it can be in fun, it can be inappropiate it can be whatever.

In these politically correct time context should play a part, I have seen probably more women wolf whistle at men when I was younger than men at women, most men who did it would do so in the context of a group of lads whistling at a group of women as a way of drawing attention towards them to start flirting rather than the current idea that its done only in a perverted way.

Individually though its more about the person getting whistled at than anything else, its essentially a mating call and one person could whistle at a stranger and get a positive response another could be assumed to be a pervert with no difference in intent from the person doing the whistling as they can't tell.

So basically use common sense, these days due to brainwashing meaning people don't do thinking outside of the box it makes the person getting whistled at assume they are somehow above and beyond, and think about the person doing the whistling, is it a chavvy teenager who is doing it to wind you up or is just scum with no respect, is it someone who is a respectable person having a bit of fun and would do it to pretty much anyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending