The Student Room Group

Ukcat timing

Hiya
My UKCAT is in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if you could spend more time on one section than others, as verbal reasoning is definitely my strength whereas quantitative reasoning isn't so I wasn't sure whether I would be allowed to spend more time on VR? Or is timing set for each section?

I would appreciate any advice!!
Thanks
Original post by Saniyah786
Hiya
My UKCAT is in about 2 weeks and I was wondering if you could spend more time on one section than others, as verbal reasoning is definitely my strength whereas quantitative reasoning isn't so I wasn't sure whether I would be allowed to spend more time on VR? Or is timing set for each section?

Thanks

No unfortunately you have a set amount of time on each section and you can't carry on the time you saved in another section.
Hiya

Thanks

Hey, I have mine mid-September; which I know is pretty late. How have you found revising in general? As for time, it would be an advantage to you if you spend a little more time on areas you are more confident on in order to be more successful in getting the answers right (if this makes any sense) Use the days left wisely, and try your best with QR, revise more for that if you are finding it tougher.
Original post by doc.dolittle
No unfortunately you have a set amount of time on each section and you can't carry on the time you saved in another section.

I have heard that you could at a meeting in college; although some don't advise it as you could be eating away into time left for other sections? or have they changed that now?
Original post by runningcat
I have heard that you could at a meeting in college; although some don't advise it as you could be eating away into time left for other sections? or have they changed that now?

Yes I believe the only option now is the UCKATsen which gives you more time but you have to have medical records to prove why you need extra time e.g slow reaction times etc.
Hiya

Thanks

Hi Saniyah786

As others have already said, you have a set amount of time for each section so unfortunately you are not able to spend more time on the areas that you feel more less confident in.

Withe regards to the VR section, I was hoping I could offer some advice.

Make sure that you read the question before the passage as it focuses your reading. Work through at a steady, even pace (30 seconds per questions) and look out for “extreme” words (always, never, extremely, proven etc.) these words often give you the answer.

Also, remember that “true” and “false” don’t have to be exact word-for-word matches. If the meaning is the same that is enough.

I hope you find that useful. Do let me know if you have any questions... always happy to help!

UniAdmissions
Hey, I have mine mid-September; which I know is pretty late. How have you found revising in general? As for time, it would be an advantage to you if you spend a little more time on areas you are more confident on in order to be more successful in getting the answers right (if this makes any sense) Use the days left wisely, and try your best with QR, revise more for that if you are finding it tougher.

Hi runningcat

Just thought I'd ask how you are getting on with your UKCAT prep? You still have quite a while before your test, so I am sure you have it all under control but do let me know if you have any questions we can help with.

UniAdmissions
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi runningcat

Just thought I'd ask how you are getting on with your UKCAT prep? You still have quite a while before your test, so I am sure you have it all under control but do let me know if you have any questions we can help with.

UniAdmissions

Hi, thanks I appreciate it. I'm a little panicked to be honest. I was just wondering If I lose out on getting a good score this year, can I retake it next year, because many sources are saying that you cant
Hi, thanks I appreciate it. I'm a little panicked to be honest. I was just wondering If I lose out on getting a good score this year, can I retake it next year, because many sources are saying that you cant

Hi Runningcat,

Yes that is an option. There are two restrictions in the UKCAT:

1) You can only take it once per application cycle
2) Your score is only valid for the application cycle you sit the test in

This means that if you reapply next year, you would need to sit the UKCAT again and would get a brand new score.

Quick Reply

Latest