The Student Room Group

Is there any point in going back to redo my a level exams?

I have below average a level grades and do not think I put my all into them. I don't want to go into interviews with a good degree grade and low a level grades. I definitely will have the time to revise for both uni and a level courses as I have everyday to myself.
I would say the degree is more important. A-levels are not really important in a job application, they are just a bridge to get a degree really. GCSE and Degree grades are important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thighs
I have below average a level grades and do not think I put my all into them. I don't want to go into interviews with a good degree grade and low a level grades. I definitely will have the time to revise for both uni and a level courses as I have everyday to myself.

No there's absolutely zero point. Degree and experience trump A Level results. When I got my grad job, they didn't even ask to see my A2 certificates so
Original post by heshamkisher
I would say the degree is more important. A-levels are not really important in a job application, they are just a bridge to get a degree really. GCSE and Degree grades are important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only GCSE Maths and English. Other GCSEs are irrelevant once you have A Levels
Reply 4
Original post by heshamkisher

Posted from TSR Mobile

But when I want to transfer universities after first year, and even for post grad, a lot of unis take the a levels into consideration. So it would not hurt to retake a levels. unless the a levels are not at all important once you have a degree.

I heard uni transfers not only take the degree into account, but make sure if the a level grades match their entry requirements. (And I do want to transfer)
Original post by Thighs

Why don't you enter some job interviews and if you don't succeed, then retake A Levels. It's pointless to theorise that you won't get jobs because of average grades, when you're not certain of that claim. Why would your academic record years ago be indicative of you now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by super_kawaii
Only GCSE Maths and English. Other GCSEs are irrelevant once you have A Levels

Exactly! Glad you agree.
Original post by Thighs
But when I want to transfer universities after first year, and even for post grad, a lot of unis take the a levels into consideration. So it would not hurt to retake a levels. unless the a levels are not at all important once you have a degree.

I heard uni transfers not only take the degree into account, but make sure if the a level grades match their entry requirements. (And I do want to transfer)

That may be a different story but if I was to decide between a first or better A-levels I'd pick a first.
Original post by Thighs

Yes, most graduate schemes require at least 320 ucas points these days or at the least BBB
Degree most importnat but some grad schemes do require good A levels. If you know where you might be heading then check them out to see if you wnat to go into an area where they might be relevant. If so then consider it if you want, but be aware it will take time away from your studies. it depends how well you know yourself as a student.

Quick Reply

Latest