The Student Room Group

HELP! Parents refuse to help me financially for uni

I'm wanting to move out of my family home for university next year and live in accommodation halls at my first choice uni which is Leeds Trinity. I would get around £5256 per year for my maintenance loan which would only just cover my rent of £4920 per year which leaves me just £336 for my food, toiletries etc for the whole year! The problem is my parents are persistent on the fact I cannot afford and refuse to hear my reasons and say if I move I WILL NOT get a single penny off of them.

How much short of money am I if I use all my money of rent and how much would living there cost per month average? How many hours would I need to work to make up for it (my mum thinks 30)? And would there be any help for students in my position at uni if I decide to move out.

Also, I've heard there's a teaching bursaries coming into effect soon but when will it as my mum thinks its 2019 (I'm doing a Primary Education with QTS degree)

Thanks
Reply 1
you have two option

- live off campus some where cheaper
- work during the summer to have savings

or dont go to uni because if your not going to redbrick or above, not worth taking 40 k debt
Is there nowhere cheaper for you to live?
Deal with it. There are people with less maintenance loan, no loan, no parents etc. Get a job and stop complaining. You have to pay for everything once you leave university which will be far more expensive.
10 hours a week would probably cover your living costs, as long as you were careful with finances but making a financial plan on the assumption of getting a job is risky, plenty of people try and fail to get jobs when they start uni

there are hardship funds at universities if you've run out of money but again they can't be relied on, there are often a lot of students needing money and only so much to go around so people do get refused - or they'll offer a loan that needs repaying which isn't helpful to you at all

I would really try and find cheaper accommodation if you can
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Is there nowhere cheaper for you to live?

There is if I want to share one toilet and a bath and shower with 5 other people which I would do as a last resort which is £3731 but I'd rather have a en-suite room if I can.
Reply 6
Original post by EdwardBarfield9
Deal with it. There are people with less maintenance loan, no loan, no parents etc. Get a job and stop complaining. You have to pay for everything once you leave university which will be far more expensive.

How am I complaining? I'm just asking. If you're going to criticize me asking what my options are and not make helpful comments then please don't comment at all.
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
10 hours a week would probably cover your living costs, as long as you were careful with finances but making a financial plan on the assumption of getting a job is risky, plenty of people try and fail to get jobs when they start uni

there are hardship funds at universities if you've run out of money but again they can't be relied on, there are often a lot of students needing money and only so much to go around so people do get refused - or they'll offer a loan that needs repaying which isn't helpful to you at all

I would really try and find cheaper accommodation if you can

I'm trying to find a job now to start saving up and I've emailed the finance department of my first choice uni to ask what help they would give and see if I have any other options.
Reply 8
It depends on how much you plan to spend a week but it's easily possible. Your rent and bills basically paid for so you only need money for food and such.

People manage to live from just around £20 a week. Probably more realistically it's £40-£50 a week for food if you don't cook much. On minimum wage you'd get enough just from 10 hours a week. 20 hours a week are also easily doable so if you do 20 hours you take half the wage for food and the other half for toiletries, clothes and going out every now and then.

Also look at private rentals. Sometimes you can find ensuite rooms or studio flats cheaper than the halls even when you add the bills on top. But yeah, it's doable with just working weekends or evenings
Reply 9
Original post by shoakuma
There is if I want to share one toilet and a bath and shower with 5 other people which I would do as a last resort which is £3731 but I'd rather have a en-suite room if I can.

You obviously can't really afford to have an ensuite so go for the cheaper room. You can't afford to be picky.
I'm trying to find a job now to start saving up and I've emailed the finance department of my first choice uni to ask what help they would give and see if I have any other options.

this would leave you £1500 to pay for living costs - divided by 30 weeks (so not covering holidays) gives you £50 which is tight but doable if you don't work, you can then look for a job to top you up and have your overdraft to be used in an emergency only - don't be stupid, not giving yourself to best chance possible over sharing a bathroom is ridiculous

your finance dep won't be able to help further than we already have - they won't give you money out of nowhere just because you're tight on funds... there is the POSSIBILITY of a hardship loan/grant (although these are usually limited so you might not even get one) once you can show you have no money at all to live on
@shoakuma

The big "if" is over your fixed costs - whether you have stuff like texts and laptop/phone covered already.

If you have all this already, then I think it's totally doable.

As above, going for the cheaper accomodation gives you about £50 per week, which isn't ideal, but it can be done if you're clever about cooking etc and you're making the things you cook stretch across at least 2 meals. I would seriously consider a catered option, though depending on how many meals they would provide for you. It would mean you'd never be starving.

On this basis, any amount of work you can get would be a bonus. I would think that if you can swing 10 hours a week - a Saturday and an evening, this would net you possibly another £60 which should put you in the clear for going out once a week and some extras.

Best case scenario, though, you get some money off your parents at some point.
Reply 12

I don't mean to sound harsh, but we'd all prefer things we can't afford. I'd like to live somewhere where the roof doesn't leak and my pitbull-owning neighbours don't have loud conversations outside my bedroom window at 3am. But I can't afford to live somewhere nicer in my town. Unfortunately you just have to cut your cloth according to your budget.
You need to learn the difference between need and want. You do need somewhere to live. But you don't need (unless maybe you have a medical condition) an en suite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending