The Student Room Group

I enjoy drinking on my own, is this worrying?

I enjoy much more to drink alcohol on my own, than in a social situation. I was just wondering whether this is weird, considering I know no one else my age who also enjoys drinking alone?

Scroll to see replies

Will tell you a 'story'. In Secondary school you are told that being on your own is sad, pitiful and pathetic...friendless even, because of this I was always thought that if they caught be I would be bullied for it. I'm now 18 and I go out 95% of the time by myself or with family, This is because of other issues but one of them is that I'm very reserved and an introvert.
The other someone asked how I can go out by myself and I said 'Why not...Can't rely on people all the time.' and you know what they said...'Your Brave!'

"moral of the story is": is that you shouldn't give a ****...A ****!!!! DO YOU!!!!

P.S.
I understand that you might be anxious or embarrassed don't be...I have General Anxiety and going out by myself helps me deal with it lil by lil. :smile:

:angelwings::angelwings::angelblush::angelblush::banana2::banana2::badger::badger:
i eat all the chocolate on my own:frown:
is this bad?
Reply 3
Original post by BunnyMidnight
Will tell you a 'story'. In Secondary school you are told that being on your own is sad, pitiful and pathetic...friendless even, because of this I was always thought that if they caught be I would be bullied for it. I'm now 18 and I go out 95% of the time by myself or with family, This is because of other issues but one of them is that I'm very reserved and an introvert.
The other someone asked how I can go out by myself and I said 'Why not...Can't rely on people all the time.' and you know what they said...'Your Brave!'

"moral of the story is": is that you shouldn't give a ****...A ****!!!! DO YOU!!!!

P.S.
I understand that you might be anxious or embarrassed don't be...I have General Anxiety and going out by myself helps me deal with it lil by lil. :smile:

:angelwings::angelwings::angelblush::angelblush::banana2::banana2::badger::badger:

Why thank you for your wise words, :angelwings::angelwings: I have never been formally diagnosed with Depression or anxiety, but I feel like I have some form of it. I am also 18 and very introverted like yourself, most of my friends are now of the age were they want to go out clubbing, but I know I wouldn't be able to cope in a club situation.. I much more prefer to drink on my own.
I don't see any logical reason why it should be worrying, although there is certainly a stigma attached to it.
Speaking for myself, I would find that extremely unusual and unhealthy. Unless you are drinking for the simple pleasure of the tasting of the alcohol, like you're some kind of aged Port connoisseur or something, I can't understand what the point would be and it sounds like the road to alcoholism.

but hey [insert kermit drinking tea meme]
Reply 6
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't see any logical reason why it should be worrying, although there is certainly a stigma attached to it.

What is the stigma?
Reply 7
There is a stigma but it doesn't really matter, unless you are going over the limit every day and/or can't go without it.
Original post by Anonymous
What is the stigma?

Well it's just viewed as being rather pathetic and would make people concerned that it's a step towards being an alcoholic.

I don't see the logic behind that though. It's acceptable to eat nice food by yourself, it's acceptable to watch a good TV programme by yourself etc etc. So I personally don't see why it shouldn't be acceptable to drink alcohol by yourself if you enjoy it.
Reply 9
Original post by Trinculo
Speaking for myself, I would find that extremely unusual and unhealthy. Unless you are drinking for the simple pleasure of the tasting of the alcohol, like you're some kind of aged Port connoisseur or something, I can't understand what the point would be and it sounds like the road to alcoholism.

but hey [insert kermit drinking tea meme]

That is my worry, my grandad was an alcoholic too :frown:
Why thank you for your wise words, :angelwings::angelwings: I have never been formally diagnosed with Depression or anxiety, but I feel like I have some form of it. I am also 18 and very introverted like yourself, most of my friends are now of the age were they want to go out clubbing, but I know I wouldn't be able to cope in a club situation.. I much more prefer to drink on my own.

Looool I understand what you mean, I have Autism, Depression and social and general Anxiety, so for me I know that when I do start drinking I will not be able to cope with clubbing and raving without having a sensory overload, which could lead to me having a breakdown/panic attack. The thing is that If your friends are cool and accepting that HEY you might not want to go cludding but still want to hang whether it's going cinema, the park, theme parks and more then they are the friends worth having, they might also want to do a movie night, they can drink and you drink whatever, you feel like doesn't have to be alcohol.

You can join them if you want as well!!!! doesn't mean you have to drink; could be coke, milkshake...whatever. :smile:
Just have fun and chill with your friends, that is all that matters.
(edited 7 years ago)
I always enjoy company during drinking*
I always drink on my own, mainly whiskey and it's just relaxing.

Spoiler

Just becaus he was, doesnt mean you will be. You can have an increase risk of being an Alcoholic but you have the power. You know your limits, you know what you like. as long as you stay in control and monitor you will be fine!!
no its fine, **** what society tells you. I am drinking on my own right now. have conviction in your decisions and no regrets, then you wont care what others think. why be a sheep when you can be a lion??

Not judging, but I'm not a big fan of the whole introversion thing. Although I'm super social now, I used to sometime spend long periods of time on my own, and I often felt it wasn't a positive thing, necessarily. While I don't think it's bad - I certainly don't think it's something to be celebrated.
Original post by neal95
no its fine, **** what society tells you. I am drinking on my own right now. have conviction in your decisions and no regrets, then you wont care what others think. why be a sheep when you can be a lion??

True, cheers :beer::beer::beer:
I enjoy much more to drink alcohol on my own, than in a social situation. I was just wondering whether this is weird, considering I know no one else my age who also enjoys drinking alone?

I like to drink alone too because i feel self conscious drinking in front of other people. When i used to drink in front of other people i would take very small sips and i would never finish my drink the glass was always still full and it's like that if i go on a date but when i'm alone i drink very quickly and enjoy it more because no one is watching me.
I think it depends on how much /how often you drink and if there is a particular reason why you drink. My 19 year old son's father was an alcoholic. He died when our son was 10, aged 52. Occasionally he used to drink in a pub, but it was nearly always alone in his house, with CD's playing in the background. I think if it is just one or two glasses then that is OK. But if you are downing whole bottles by yourself and if it is more than one night a week, every single week then be careful. Do you look forward to getting home and being alone so you can drink? Would you avoid people /answering the phone while you are drinking so you won't be disturbed? How long have you been like this?
Depends on how much you drink, and how often. *A couple of pints once a week would be OK, but it would be worrying if you were getting completely wasted every other day. *
Also depends on if you drink because you like the taste, or if you're drinking because you feel you need to.

Quick Reply

Latest