The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonwinner
It sounds really good.

I assume you did that in your first year of uni? How are you applying to IB SW's now? Aren't they only for first years?

He's redoing first year on a different course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Elaborate, because I'm pretty sure you don't mean to say being at a target is irrelevant.

Mate,

It's really not that deep. Me clarifying my views will not make you believe me.It's not worth going on and on about it. If you are good, you get it.

I have met numerous people at a variety of firms, from a variety of unis. Not a small sample size.

Just bang out your app and that's it.

Lastly, the way I view it is that targets may spoon feed you it (your one mate from econ is applying to IB so you do too) but it doesn't mean someone would choose person X bcs she went to a target rather than person A for not. Respect HR's intelligence please.
Original post by President J
Mate,

It's really not that deep. Me clarifying my views will not make you believe me.It's not worth going on and on about it. If you are good, you get it.

I have met numerous people at a variety of firms, from a variety of unis. Not a small sample size.

Just bang out your app and that's it.

Lastly, the way I view it is that targets may spoon feed you it (your one mate from econ is applying to IB so you do too) but it doesn't mean someone would choose person X bcs she went to a target rather than person A for not. Respect HR's intelligence please.
If you go to my first post you'll see I was making the point that going to a target uni is more relevant than academic excellence. I never said anything about HOW MUCH it matters or in WHAT WAY it matters, so save your assumptions.

I never said they choose people based on whether or not they go to a target and I've never thought that.
What if your unsure about whether you'll be completing a 3 or 4 year course? Is it still advisable to apply for SWs regardless?
Original post by Mr.bob
What if your unsure about whether you'll be completing a 3 or 4 year course? Is it still advisable to apply for SWs regardless?

That's what I did :smile:
Original post by Terry Tibbs
If you go to my first post you'll see I was making the point that going to a target uni is more relevant than academic excellence. I never said anything about HOW MUCH it matters or in WHAT WAY it matters, so save your assumptions.

I never said they choose people based on whether or not they go to a target and I've never thought that.

??? Okay. Again makes no difference.
Reply 186
Do I need to wait for the start of university to apply?

For Goldman Sachs it says I need to upload an Academic Transcript (grade transcript from university) to complete my application.

However, this whole application process seems a bit generic so I don't know if I should just leave this part out for a spring week application.
just wondering, is it actually worth applying to places like OW / McK / Accenture (?) / Macquarie if they do not offer a conversion to the oh so sweet Summer Internship? What with the value of the name up top of the cv vs the actual chance to convert, what are peoples thoughts? personally thinking of doing all apps to all places but putting a lesser effort into the non converting firms
Reply 188
Original post by tazza ma razza
just wondering, is it actually worth applying to places like OW / McK / Accenture (?) / Macquarie if they do not offer a conversion to the oh so sweet Summer Internship? What with the value of the name up top of the cv vs the actual chance to convert, what are peoples thoughts? personally thinking of doing all apps to all places but putting a lesser effort into the non converting firms

If you have a genuine interest in consulting and the firm it should be a pleasure for you to participating in such event regardless of opportunity for conversion.
Hey guys, quick question, I know that most applications for spring weeks are dealt with on a rolling basis, meaning that you should apply ASAP. However, that is difficult for me since I am starting at the University of Warwick in October, which means that I don't have the benefit of an early application unless I choose to sacrifice on-campus recruiting events by applying as soon as I get to university. How have people overcome this issue in the past?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 190
Original post by gpearson97
Hey guys, quick question, I know that most applications for spring weeks are dealt with on a rolling basis, meaning that you should apply ASAP. However, that is difficult for me since I am starting at the University of Warwick in October, which means that I don't have the benefit of an early application unless I choose to sacrifice on-campus recruiting events by applying as soon as I get to university. How have people overcome this issue in the past?

Thank you in advance.

I don't think most banks process SW applications before they're done with the SA ones. Read the thread from last year, you'll see earliest interviews were from Lazard and they started early October if I remember correctly. I did not see anyone getting offers till late November/December (Correct me anyone if I am wrong).

Thank you in advance.

lol by applying later..
Original post by RWiz
I don't think most banks process SW applications before they're done with the SA ones. Read the thread from last year, you'll see earliest interviews were from Lazard and they started early October if I remember correctly. I did not see anyone getting offers till late November/December (Correct me anyone if I am wrong).

Actually I think I read someone on this thread already being contacted for an interview from Credit Suisse after doing the numerical test already. They also applied to GS, which I didn't even know was open lol.

I think the person was doing a four year course though.
Original post by gr8wizard10
lol by applying later..

In your opinion, it is worth holding out for the campus fairs so as to gain more knowledge rather than apply as soon as i possibly can?
Reply 194
Actually I think I read someone on this thread already being contacted for an interview from Credit Suisse after doing the numerical test already. They also applied to GS, which I didn't even know was open lol.

I think the person was doing a four year course though.

Yea I read that.

GS is not rolling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RWiz
Yea I read that.

GS is not rolling.

That takes off some pressure, thank you!
In your opinion, it is worth holding out for the campus fairs so as to gain more knowledge rather than apply as soon as i possibly can?

yh babe, it is
Original post by gr8wizard10
yh babe, it is

thnx bby x
However, that is difficult for me since I am starting at the University of Warwick in October, which means that I don't have the benefit of an early application unless I choose to sacrifice on-campus recruiting events by applying as soon as I get to university. How have people overcome this issue in the past?

Thank you in advance.

the struggle is real - what you doing at warwick? I'm doing A+F.

TBF i'd only start applying after results day (JIC you don't get in, any cv issues anything else you wish you added etc etc)
Original post by tazza ma razza
the struggle is real - what you doing at warwick? I'm doing A+F.

TBF i'd only start applying after results day (JIC you don't get in, any cv issues anything else you wish you added etc etc)

If results day goes well, economics :smile: tbh if it doesn't I can spend a gap year getting more work experience if possible, that's probably the weakest part of my CV atm.

Latest

Trending

Trending