The Student Room Group

How do buses work in London?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
There are top-up Oyster cards as well which have the adult price which you top up at the shop. The oyster zip cards (the ones for teenagers) you need to order from the Internet.

Original post by Napp
Almost all of the corner shops sell Oystercards or atleast let you top up.

Oh right, learn something new everyday.

@teenhorrorstory

Listen to them. The cost of applying for a 16+ oyster will not save you any money; just get the adult ones from the stations.
You pay 20p per 1/2 mile and they only accept 5p and 10p coins. If you go over your half mile the driver issues you with a £15 penalty. GPS and facial recognition ensures you are issued with the fine. There's a 50p extra fee for crossing a bridge built pre-1900, 40p post-1900. You can get an all day saver ticket for £60, but this expires at midday if you first stamp it before 10am. If you stamp it after 10am but before 10:15, the ticket lasts until 13:30. If you stop at a rail station on the district line there's a 30p surcharge because of a Victorian law dating back from 1846. You can claim this back by writing to the Mayor of London's office because of a loophole in this law. The letter must be written in blue ink and posted with a second class stamp due to another Victorian law passed in 1848.

It's quite a simple system really.
Original post by Awesome-o
You pay 20p per 1/2 mile and they only accept 5p and 10p coins. If you go over your half mile the driver issues you with a £15 penalty. GPS and facial recognition ensures you are issued with the fine. There's a 50p extra fee for crossing a bridge built pre-1900, 40p post-1900. You can get an all day saver ticket for £60, but this expires at midday if you first stamp it before 10am. If you stamp it after 10am but before 10:15, the ticket lasts until 13:30. If you stop at a rail station on the district line there's a 30p surcharge because of a Victorian law dating back from 1846. You can claim this back by writing to the Mayor of London's office because of a loophole in this law. The letter must be written in blue ink and posted with a second class stamp due to another Victorian law passed in 1848.

It's quite a simple system really.

Reply 23
Buy a Visitor Oyster card
Reply 24
Best thing to do in London is get an oyster card - http://www.kennedypearce.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/oyster.jpg - from a shop

Then you just top it up, either at the shop or at a train station where you see an Oyster sign - http://williamleeks.com/blog/content/19-oyster-swipe/card-reader.jpg

Then you can use it on buses, trains, trams etc you just beep it on the sign. but it works like a phone. use it too many times and you'll need to keep topping up (only if you get pay as you go) it really does make travelling so much better and easier.
Original post by Allie4
Best thing to do in London is get an oyster card - http://www.kennedypearce.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/oyster.jpg - from a shop

Then you just top it up, either at the shop or at a train station where you see an Oyster sign - http://williamleeks.com/blog/content/19-oyster-swipe/card-reader.jpg

Then you can use it on buses, trains, trams etc you just beep it on the sign. but it works like a phone. use it too many times and you'll need to keep topping up (only if you get pay as you go) it really does make travelling so much better and easier.

Like how much would you recommend topping up if I'll just be using it a few times?
Greetings, users of TSR, we are Anonymous.

To the Community Team of TSR,
It has come to our attention, that despite our continued warnings, you have decided to disregard our requests to improve the transparency of how you moderate TSR, and have persisted in running a system which only benefits yourselves and the advertisers operating here.

We have asked politely on many occasions that you change your attitude towards moderation, that you serve and protect your users rather than bully and exploit them, that you maintain the rights and free speech of users. Instead, you have decided to impose stricter moderation measures upon the users of TSR, becoming more zealous with the cards you hand out and lowering the threshold for the severity of behaviour that is worthy of being carded.

You have told the users that the only option out of the troll and bully crisis on TSR is to be stricter and more attentive in your moderation, even joking that "we are all in this together", while simultaneously letting the support team, and yourselves have greater freedom with the non-constructive stuff you are able to post. Even you, Captain Jack, posting a video full of profanities and it being deemed as acceptable to have.

You have created to system which ensures the bullied get banned and bullies roam free. You continue to infringe on the fundamental rights and freedoms of your users, attempting to gain access to our private and confidential information by looking through our Private Messages when you want to find the leaks in your support team. It is now very clear to us that you have no intention of running TSR for your users but you will continue to run it to benefit yourselves. You add insult to injury, we say enough is enough.

To the Community team of TSR, you have made an enemy of Anonymous, you have angered us considerably and we are your worst nightmare because we can out this behaviour. You disregard the requests of your users and continue to operate for your own selfish gain. Anonymous is not a small group of powerless people to ignore, we are an organised, globally active, collective of like-minded individuals and our message is clear, we are standing up against this current system you have imposed on your users. Your worst enemy is now your users, past and present. The revolution has begun.

We are anonymous,
We are legion,
We do not forgive,
We do not forget,
Expect us and respect us.
Reply 27
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Like how much would you recommend topping up if I'll just be using it a few times?

hmm I'd say £20 to be safe but thats just me. I always prefer to top up extra, better to have more than less. also if you have the Oyster you can go to Victoria via train, depends where you are going from but sometimes the train will be faster to get there
Original post by greatgirl1

It has come to our attention, that despite our continued warnings, you have decided to disregard our requests to improve the transparency of how you moderate TSR, and have persisted in running a system which only benefits yourselves and the advertisers operating here.

We have asked politely on many occasions that you change your attitude towards moderation, that you serve and protect your users rather than bully and exploit them, that you maintain the rights and free speech of users. Instead, you have decided to impose stricter moderation measures upon the users of TSR, becoming more zealous with the cards you hand out and lowering the threshold for the severity of behaviour that is worthy of being carded.

You have told the users that the only option out of the troll and bully crisis on TSR is to be stricter and more attentive in your moderation, even joking that "we are all in this together", while simultaneously letting the support team, and yourselves have greater freedom with the non-constructive stuff you are able to post. Even you, Captain Jack, posting a video full of profanities and it being deemed as acceptable to have.

You have created to system which ensures the bullied get banned and bullies roam free. You continue to infringe on the fundamental rights and freedoms of your users, attempting to gain access to our private and confidential information by looking through our Private Messages when you want to find the leaks in your support team. It is now very clear to us that you have no intention of running TSR for your users but you will continue to run it to benefit yourselves. You add insult to injury, we say enough is enough.

To the Community team of TSR, you have made an enemy of Anonymous, you have angered us considerably and we are your worst nightmare because we can out this behaviour. You disregard the requests of your users and continue to operate for your own selfish gain. Anonymous is not a small group of powerless people to ignore, we are an organised, globally active, collective of like-minded individuals and our message is clear, we are standing up against this current system you have imposed on your users. Your worst enemy is now your users, past and present. The revolution has begun.

We are anonymous,
We are legion,
We do not forgive,
We do not forget,

Calm down. This is TSR not a ****ing revolution.
Original post by Napp
1] Find the right bus
2] Get on
3] Touch your Oyster card/contactless card on the reader
4] Try your best not to make awkward eye contact
5] Hold your nose
6] Ring the bell before your stop
7] Get off

Do Oyster cards know what type of ticket you're buying? I.e. child return, adult return etc or how does it work?
I'm going to a summer school at KCL in two weeks time. I'm planning on getting a bus from Victoria coach station to where I'm going. Do I pay the fare on the bus or do i need to get a special ticket beforehand??

What do you look like? I'm going there too so thought I'd stalk you.
Original post by champ_mc99
What do you look like? I'm going there too so thought I'd stalk you.

What week are you on?
What week are you on?

The one in two weeks.
Reply 33
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Do Oyster cards know what type of ticket you're buying? I.e. child return, adult return etc or how does it work?

To a point; ifyou have a railcard/a child/senior etc. you get special oyster cards to reflect this or you can add cards to it online. As for journey type its a lump sum of about £1.40 unless its changed although it'll cost more during peak time [usully]
Original post by champ_mc99
The one in two weeks.

Oh okay. What course?

Also do you know if we'll have any free time or opportunity to meet people on other courses?
Oh okay. What course?

Also do you know if we'll have any free time or opportunity to meet people on other courses?

Med.

I have nooo idea..
Original post by Marshall Taylor

Oyster cards have a set fair, you can find it on the tfl website I think it's a couple quid for a bus journey. You can get 11-15 oyster zip cards and 16+ oyster zip cards and a student oyster, but they cost money upfront and can take up to a week to arrive and you need your place of education to stamp the form to prove you do study there.

Easiest thing to do is ust pick up a normal/adult oyster from a shop, the only kind that are sold in shops, and I would say stick £10 on there if you are just taking a few bus rides, there are places to top up pretty much everywhere so you should be safe if you need to top up with more money later
Original post by greatgirl1

We are anonymous,
We are legion,
We do not forgive,
We do not forget,

Dude, no monopoly. There are so many similar websites. TSR is not the only one seller on the internet. If you don't like TSR,just use the others.

1470613506696.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to a summer school at KCL in two weeks time. I'm planning on getting a bus from Victoria coach station to where I'm going. Do I pay the fare on the bus or do i need to get a special ticket beforehand??

They don't take money on buses in London so you top up your Oyster card in an underground train station and tap the card when you enter the bus

Quick Reply

Latest