The Student Room Group

I've just been involved in a collision

Hi everyone,

under 2 hours ago I was involved in a car accident, and would very much appreciate it if I could hear some of your opinions/advice on the incident.

I have posted some images below, but first I will explain the situation.

1. I was on a roundabout in the lane to go straight on
2. A car in the lane to the right of me indicated and turned into my vehicle hitting the side of my car. I did not have time to react and move out of the way.

Unfortunately there were no witnesses, or if there were they quickly vanished.

The other driver then got out of their car and blamed me for the collision stating that I was in fact in the lane to turn left but decided to go straight on instead. Please view images below.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dz7vvarbvmrl5ut/AABQkV6OMQ48vUX3U1wnGSJba?dl=0

A while after the incident when the roads were a bit quieter I decided to go back round the roundabout to see if I was in the correct lane or not. I recorded it and its clear to see (in my opinion) that I am in the correct lane.

[video="youtube;Sx6wlQQroUI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx6wlQQroUI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is a link on Google Maps to the exact spot. I was in the A40W RSLIP lane (going straight on), and the driver that hit my car was in the lane to the right of me (also a lane to go straight on or to continue on the roundabout).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5358887,-0.391333,3a,90y,36.52h,48.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-ZTCBBwXWBjq_cCBF1aPwA!2e0!7i1331 2!8i6656

Thanks.

Sean
(edited 7 years ago)
I would think the silver car is in the wrong here, as he is in the middle of two lanes and should have made sure it was clear before changing. It's hard to tell from the pictures though.
Hope it works out OK for you, OP. I've been in a couple of non fault accidents myself, so I know how much it sucks.
We can't get a clear view of the road markings and don't know which lane you were in when the collision happened, so it's impossible to provide an opinion mate.
Reply 3
Original post by WoodyMKC
We can't get a clear view of the road markings and don't know which lane you were in when the collision happened, so it's impossible to provide an opinion mate.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've added a video to show the lanes on the roundabout now, does that help at all?
Reply 4
Original post by DarkMagic
I would think the silver car is in the wrong here, as he is in the middle of two lanes and should have made sure it was clear before changing. It's hard to tell from the pictures though.
Hope it works out OK for you, OP. I've been in a couple of non fault accidents myself, so I know how much it sucks.

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yeah... It sucks alright! I'm pretty confident that when my insurance company view this from google maps they will see the lane layout. I added a video above of the lanes also, and at the start of the video is where I was just before the lights & thats where the other car hit me.

Something positive to see is the other drivers insurance company is 'GoSkippy' and their reviews are awful.

As you say, the car has come into my lane and hit the side of me, so lets hope that the insurers see its their fault. I'm just wondering how much this is going to cost me, and how long it'll be till I get my car back :-(
Even the video doesn't give a clear vision tbh, impossible to say without seeing the road markings leading up to that point. Would you mind showing us the roundabout on google maps?
Reply 6
Even the video doesn't give a clear vision tbh, impossible to say without seeing the road markings leading up to that point. Would you mind showing us the roundabout on google maps?

Yes sure, I've added it to the main post above. Thanks for your help
Reply 7
It's really hard to judge from the picture.
But the car hit you from behind.
A rule of thumb, hit from behind = could have been prevented. Whether you decided to change lane or not.
... Unless the car *was* already in the round about when you drove into it.
Get in contact with your insurance.
After looking at the roundabout and from what you've described, you're not at fault here, at all. You stayed in your lane and were then coming into the left exit lane, whereas the person on your right was coming into the right exit lane and then, practically, decided to move into your lane without looking. Helps your case that you have photos of your car still in this lane and their car in that lane and that they've clearly driven into you.
Reply 9
After looking at the roundabout and from what you've described, you're not at fault here, at all. You stayed in your lane and were then coming into the left exit lane, whereas the person on your right was coming into the right exit lane and then, practically, decided to move into your lane without looking. Helps your case that you have photos of your car still in this lane and their car in that lane and that they've clearly driven into you.

Thanks for replying. I think you're right tbh, and I spoke to my insurance company and they said I should be fine, but the only downside is sometimes roundabout accidents are just settled at 50/50, but I'm not prepared to accept that as I was in the correct lane and the other vehicle cut across me. They also said due to the fact that the other car hit mine from the rear side the other driver could have prevented it.

I'll let you know what happens :smile:

Thanks
Insurance company should be able to tell by the damage who was in the wrong. No worries

Pro tip buy a dashcam, no good showing us the roundabout afterwards, proves nothing
Reply 11
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Insurance company should be able to tell by the damage who was in the wrong. No worries

Pro tip buy a dashcam, no good showing us the roundabout afterwards, proves nothing

Ha, maybe you're right, but I suppose it cant do any harm can it :wink:

I'm getting a courtesy car tomorrow and my car is going in for repair, quite surprising how fast Privilege (my insurers) have dealt with it all!
Reply 12
Update:

The other driver (3rd party) has lied to her insurance company and said that I admitted fault at the incident. My insurance company just contacted me and asked if this is true, obviously I have denied this and in fact I have spotted that there is a CCTV camera by the roundabout, so have asked my insurance company to fill out the required form and send this to the council requesting to obtain the footage.

I'm really hoping the footage can be obtained as this will 100% prove that the other driver was in the wrong as they pulled into my lane and hit my car :smile:
Reply 13
If you were making progress normally and the other driver pulled into you, they will have a hard proving that you are at fault. Indicating does not give them the right to pull into you. The most they can hope for is a split liability if you were in fact in the wrong lane, however in the highway code there are no hard and fast rules, probably because of the different variations possible. A good rule of thumb is outside lane for left and straight on, and inside lane for right, althought signs or road markings would trump this. When exiting the roundabout it is up to the driver changing lanes to ensure that their path is clear before they move over.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Talon
If you were making progress normally and the other driver pulled into you, they will have a hard proving that you are at fault. Indicating does not give them the right to pull into you. The most they can hope for is a split liability if you were in fact in the wrong lane, however in the highway code there are no hard and fast rules, probably because of the different variations possible. A good rule of thumb is outside lane for left and straight on, and inside lane for right, althought signs or road mkarkings would trump this. When exiting the roundabout it is up to the driver changing lanes to ensure that their path is clear before they move over.

Thanks for your wise response :smile:

Kind of good news, I sent these images into my insurance company and they called me up and said they have sent them over to the other insurance company, and from experience my insurance company said the other will probably accept liability as their driver has clearly pulled into my lane and hit me. Bad news is they have 7-10 days to respond which is quite a long time in my book, but I understand that this is a really sh*tty process that takes ages anyway so its all good.
This is why you invest in things like dash cams, so these ***** cant pull this **** on you when they **** up. Someone clipped my wing mirror last year and I just got a letter saying that he is claiming injury damage? What a ****ing tosser. Seriously though, get a dashcam, they're like £40...

Quick Reply

Latest