The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should women be allowed to go topless?

Like on beaches and other places where men can be topless. If not, why not?

I mean, men often go topless and I know most women wouldn't want to do this but some of them clearly do, as shown by some of the GoTopless protests and stuff like that. Why not give them the right to choose whether they do?

Scroll to see replies

Men's pecs don't have the same connotation as women's breasts. I would say I am not too keen on it, aside from nude beaches obviously.
Reply 2
I think on beaches, in swimming pools, around any general area where it's broadly acceptable for men to be topless, it should be allowed. Obviously elsewhere topless is a no-no but I'd say the same for men.

They're just lumps of fat that turn into milk bags.
Reply 3
Original post by TercioOfParma
Men's pecs don't have the same connotation as women's breasts. I would say I am not too keen on it, aside from nude beaches obviously.

What's the connotation?
Original post by kangsterf
What's the connotation?

Female breasts are sexual in the extreme, whereas a man's chest is far less so.
Reply 5
At a beach sure why not? Men stare already anyway. Might just make it less interesting.
Yes.
Women get more freedom; I get to see boobs - it's a win-win situation
Reply 8
Sure, whatever.
I was at the beach today and I saw topless women. I was so shocked
Reply 10
Female breasts are sexual in the extreme, whereas a man's chest is far less so.

But it's not a sexual organ at all. A woman's breasts are just lumps of fat with nipples on them, surely not sexual?
Reply 11
I think they should have the right to choose to if they want to, it is their bodies. It also might start to desexualise women's breasts over time as people become more accepting and are less shocked when they see a woman topless. It could also be the next step in a trend of women having more freedom in clothes as we've already had short skirts, tight jeans, spaghetti straps, crop tops, and bikinis, which women are free to choose to wear or not to wear as they want
Original post by kangsterf
But it's not a sexual organ at all. A woman's breasts are just lumps of fat with nipples on them, surely not sexual?

It's the implication more than anything, breasts on a woman are sexualised.
no its a terrible idea, women would be more likely to get raped or assualted
Yes please :colone:
Reply 15
It's the implication more than anything, breasts on a woman are sexualised.

Surely, then, by normalising toplessness we lessen the extent to which they are considered sexual - or at least make topless women such a mundane sight that no one cares, because frankly breasts will always be sexualised.
Sure. If you mean should women be allowed to go topless without being thrown in the back of a police car in hand cuffs or charged for it in court for nakedness then sure relating to beach.
I just don't get why women going topless results in consequences. I'm not saying I'm in favor of females going topless or saying I would do it too, but going topless is harmless compared to robbery or murder. Some women do not wear bras in public. Maybe that's not a good comparison but anyway, some males would not mind it. As long as the topless woman isn't pushing her boobs on anyone then I think its fine. In some countries women being topless isn't an example of an immoral deed. Also wearing a bikini is like wearing underwear and a bra. Wearing a bikini already makes you half naked so I don't know why going topless on a beach is so horrible.

If I see a woman topless, I would simply turn the other way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by elen90
Surely, then, by normalising toplessness we lessen the extent to which they are considered sexual - or at least make topless women such a mundane sight that no one cares, because frankly breasts will always be sexualised.

I am not sure it would work like that, it is more hardwired.
I don't personally think it's a good idea for a woman to go topless but if they want to do that then they should be allowed to do so.
Seeing a woman topless is not an excuse for a man to rape or sexually abuse a woman. A woman going topless shouldn't expect anything except maybe a few quick stares from men at most.

Latest

Trending

Trending