The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should women be allowed to go topless?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TercioOfParma
I am not sure it would work like that, it is more hardwired.

How so? Toplessness has been the norm in many cultures. I'm prepared to have my mind changed but given all the different attitudes there have been to bare breasts in different times and different places it would seem that culture plays a large part in how much we sexualise breasts.
I was recently in New York City and there was crowds of people hanging out in the park. One black woman was topless and no one gave a ****. It was just like "oh ok". I certainly didn't feel turned on like people in this thread have been suggestion.
Original post by Sabertooth
I was recently in New York City and there was crowds of people hanging out in the park. One black woman was topless and no one gave a ****. It was just like "oh ok". I certainly didn't feel turned on like people in this thread have been suggestion.

It's all about context though? You'd probably feel a bit ashamed of yourself if you did get turned on.
If you were alone with a beautiful woman in a room and she took her top off, would that not turn you on? Or would you treat this action with the same amount of indifference? :wink:
Reply 23
Why do people need an excuse?
Yes, women should be allowed to go topless. Booobs are not dirty like bottom parts are.
Original post by Mayhem™
Women get more freedom; I get to see boobs - it's a win-win situation

:biggrin:
Original post by hezzlington
It's all about context though? You'd probably feel a bit ashamed of yourself if you did get turned on.
If you were alone with a beautiful woman in a room and she took her top off, would that not turn you on? Or would you treat this action with the same amount of indifference? :wink:

I'm not sure that is relevant? The thread is precisely about women topless in public.
Reply 27
Original post by hezzlington

Well exactly. Most men likely aren't going to get a raging hard-on when they see a random woman with her breasts out in public. The fact that something can be sexy in context doesn't mean it always has to be sexual.
women can go topless if selling tropical fish in Liverpool
(in an old bylaw that has yet to be abolished)
You just said something completely irrelevant to what you quoted.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 30
As above, it's all about context. Are you seriously suggesting that most men could not control themselves at the sight of bare breasts in a public place?
Breasts are secondary sexual characteristics, much like a beard in that respect. They are not innately sexual, and some cultures don't sexualise breasts and women going topless is normal.

Secondly men are not beasts who see a female nipple and suddenly their dicks swell to full erection and they lose all sense of inhibition and must have sex with the female who the nipples belong to. You don't see strippers being attacked by the males attending strip clubs the second they take their bras off. It's insulting to men frankly to suggest all men are essentially rapists who can't control themselves because of breasts.

Thirdly it is their body so it should be their choice. Men can choose if they want to walk around topless, now I may not like seeing topless men but it is their choice, so it is only reasonable and fair to allow women that same control over their bodies.
No, if anything women should be forced to cover up more and wear less revealing clothes so that I don't get distracted by them.
I think you may be among a minority there sweetheart. A lack of behavioural inhibition and impulse control is indicative of some neuro-cognitive deficits. How's the old pre-frontal cortex treating you as of late?
My answer though, nah, I don't see what's to gain from it. I wouldn't want to see my friends tits hanging out, and I don't think they'd need to see mine either.

Yes, breasts are sexual, you may argue whether there's an evolutionary or social component to it, but that doesn't change the fact that they are sexual in our society.
Encouraging women to bare their breasts isn't going to change that fact, and what's wrong with breasts being a sexual part of the body anyway? Is that such a bad thing?
I feel like it wouldn't do much to reduce sexual harassment. The principle of it doesn't bother me though, who cares.
Reply 36
What on earth makes you think this though? What about all the cultures where women walk around topless, do the men have boners 24/7 or what?
Reply 37
I imagine most heterosexual men,including myself, are all for rooting for this important step towards gender equality.
Mate, if you're struggling to stay calm when seeing topless women in public, who you shouldn't be staring at anyway, then that's your own problem, not theirs.
Okay
:yy:

Latest

Trending

Trending