The Student Room Group

work 15+ hours a day [90hr week] AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by umar39
Do you sometimes feel the urge to want to live the life of a potato?

not sure what that implies but no, never once had said urge

Original post by Tabstercat
how common is cocaine use? my mate says it's pretty much on tap

haven't heard or seen anyone using the substance in my life, let alone my 6 months working in different banks
Original post by gr8wizard10

i'm single and ready to mingle baby.. i don't have time for girls

You aren't ready to mingle then :frown:
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
You aren't ready to mingle then :frown:

saturday nights get those girls to hmu

haven't heard or seen anyone using the substance in my life, let alone my 6 months working in different banks

that's crazy, not even on nights out?
Original post by Tabstercat
that's crazy, not even on nights out?

as recently said, i don't involve myself on clubbing/night life activities
What car you aiming for?
snip

The hours sound horrible, is that normal or because your the intern?
Original post by champ_mc99
What car you aiming for?

mercedes c-class

not too chuffed about cars, i want a boat.. idk which one, but that's my ultimate life goal
Original post by SugarCoatedCart
The hours sound horrible, is that normal or because your the intern?

those are analyst hours, genearlly your first 2-3 years within the industry.. after which it improves marginally if you were to stay on. but tbh the associate on our team doesn't leave until 11pm-12am anyway.. so make of that what you will.
mercedes c-class

not too chuffed about cars, i want a boat.. idk which one, but that's my ultimate life goal

Sailing?
work weekends too mostly, shoot away

Respect to you for putting in those hours, I couldn't do that, I like my spare time too much

Would you ever get a PPL?
Original post by champ_mc99
Sailing?

a mini yatch sorta cruise boat idk, they look pretty dope

what does PPL stand for?
How many women work in the same office as you?
Okay, I want to be an IB as well so I have a few questions (Thanks, if you reply)

Gonna start off with some personal questions:
1. What A-Levels did you do, and what grades did you achieve?
2. What Uni are you studying at and what course do you do?
3. What extra-curricular do/did you do?
4. Do you enjoy the work you do at the internship?
5. Is being in the office fun?
6. What do you do in the office?
7. Why don't you continue being an IB till hours decrease as you progress? Or does 'x' pay more or do you prefer the hours or what?
8. You only have weekends off because it's an internship right? Because I read you work every day, even bank holidays.
9. Do you get bored easily and tired? I don't really like sleeping anyway but is the job boring?

Lastly, any tips for people starting year 12?
e.g. networking, EC, PS etc.

Thanks if you (or anyone) can answer these questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Are you... in debt or something? why on earth are you working yourself so hard and at such a young age too? don't get me wrong, its admirable but why?
How much do you make.
Reply 56
Yeah. How much money do you make?
Original post by Pens&Papers
How many women work in the same office as you?

relative to men, a very small %, i'd give a rough estimate and say 10-20% are women in the area I work in

Original post by AdeptDz
Okay, I want to be an IB as well so I have a few questions (Thanks, if you reply)

Gonna start off with some personal questions:
1. What A-Levels did you do, and what grades did you achieve?

in the context of going into ib, it literally doesn't matter what a levels you did and answering this question doesn't do anyone any justice.. i did what you'd normally expect from someone who went on to study econ/finance.. however, study anything.. the point is you come out with good results.. you're judged on your ability to outperform.. banks are generally tired of ppl like me.. and want some diversity in thinking. i achieved a*a*a

Original post by AdeptDz
2. What Uni are you studying at and what course do you do?

for purpose of anonymity i won't say.. however it's a semi-target school for banks.. think around the lines of manchester/bristol/durham/nottingham/kings

Original post by AdeptDz
3. What extra-curricular do/did you do?

table tennis, football, run a quad skating soc, make youtube vids, board member of a uni soc, student ambassador, volunteer at a youth club

questions about this often come up in the world of banking, ppl want to know if you're a down to earth guy i guess and not boring

Original post by AdeptDz
4. Do you enjoy the work you do at the internship?

yes

Original post by AdeptDz
5. Is being in the office fun?

i enjoy it, yes

Original post by AdeptDz
6. What do you do in the office?

work?

Original post by AdeptDz
7. Why don't you continue being an IB till hours decrease as you progress? Or does 'x' pay more or do you prefer the hours or what?

it's just a path i need to go down to get where i want to be.. my end goal isn't banking. it's merely a stepping stone.

Original post by AdeptDz
8. You only have weekends off because it's an internship right? Because I read you work every day, even bank holidays.

no, i've only had 3 weekends off thus far, it depends on deliverables, deadlines and work duties.

Original post by AdeptDz

9. Do you get bored easily and tired? I don't really like sleeping anyway but is the job boring?

no and no

Original post by AdeptDz

Lastly, any tips for people starting year 12?
e.g. networking, EC, PS etc.

apply for insight days, get good at something, and start trying to network with alumni.. just generally be interesting

Original post by AdeptDz

Thanks if you (or anyone) can answer these questions.

no worries
Original post by Allie4
Are you... in debt or something? why on earth are you working yourself so hard and at such a young age too? don't get me wrong, its admirable but why?

i have quite specific ambitions and this is the way to get there.. a strong brand name on my cv and picking up the relevant financial modelling skills, business connections and building a name for myself within the industry.. opens a lot of doors down the line.

Original post by PrincessZara
How much do you make.

as below

Original post by MaxMarks
Yeah. How much money do you make?

not alot, street pays c.£50k base (+10-15% bonus) and a £5k sign on for juniour m&a analyst.. (that being said, it progresses rather quickly 3-4 years in you're on 6 figures all in).
Have you ever spoken to them in a different language? I once started speaking Mandarin to a Chinese person and they didn't know Mandarin... I'm half Chinese myself and it was hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending