The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

How lenient is Loughborough??

What are the chances Loughborough will still take me on their English Lit BA course with BBB (given they offered me ABB -- the A being in English)?? I just wanna know if it's a genuine possibility because I really really want to go there but I don't know if they'll have me and if not I probably need to start looking for decent clearing choices :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JustPolly101
What are the chances Loughborough will still take me on their English Lit BA course with BBB (given they offered me ABB -- the A being in English)?? I just wanna know if its a genuine possibility because I really really want to go there but I don't know if they'll have me and if not I probably need to start looking for decent clearing choices :frown:

I got in with BBC for Sociology last year, with an offer of BBB. If you drop one grade (as long as it's not English) then it's likely you'll get in.

Regardless of that though I'd suggest looking at clearing courses a few days before results day anyway just so you can prepare for the worst.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
What are the chances Loughborough will still take me on their English Lit BA course with BBB (given they offered me ABB -- the A being in English)?? I just wanna know if it's a genuine possibility because I really really want to go there but I don't know if they'll have me and if not I probably need to start looking for decent clearing choices :frown:

No-one, not even the university itself, can provide that information right now as there are so many factors involved. It's certainly possible, yes, but I wouldn't count on it 100% happening. Perhaps it would be best to look at a small number of universities for your course in order to be prepared? :smile:
hahaha that's the problem though -- I got a B at AS Level English and whilst the A2 paper was not bad I'm not sure if it was quite good enough to pull me up to an A and so was hoping they may take me on BBB :dong:
Original post by emiloujess
No-one, not even the university itself, can provide that information right now as there are so many factors involved. It's certainly possible, yes, but I wouldn't count on it 100% happening. Perhaps it would be best to look at a small number of universities for your course in order to be prepared? :smile:

yeah, I suppose it would just give me a little bit of hope if I knew there were others out there who were till accepted by Loughborough despite missing a grade -- I know that it will only be clear on results day, I'm just trying to gauge the situation the best I can.
yeah, I suppose it would just give me a little bit of hope if I knew there were others out there who were till accepted by Loughborough despite missing a grade -- I know that it will only be clear on results day, I'm just trying to gauge the situation the best I can.

You could try searching in this thread if you want to find out if they have been lenient before :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2786463

I'm in the same position, but for Cardiff. Although now I've started reading through courses I'm starting to doubt my choice so it kinda backfired on me :tongue:

But as the saying goes... hope for the best, prepare for the worst :smile:
Original post by emiloujess
You could try searching in this thread if you want to find out if they have been lenient before :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2786463

I'm in the same position, but for Cardiff. Although now I've started reading through courses I'm starting to doubt my choice so it kinda backfired on me :tongue:

But as the saying goes... hope for the best, prepare for the worst :smile:

Oh Fab!! Thank you x
I know plenty of people who got in without meeting offers, however it does depend how many places they have left on the course, if they fill it up they won't need to offer you anything lower
Does this also apply if Loughborough is your insurance?

Hey JustPolly101

We're really pleased to hear that you're so keen to join us. :smile:

I've been a member of the Department for a some time now as both a undergraduate and a postgraduate here (testament to how much I've enjoyed it!) and just wanted to set your mind at rest a tad. While we won't have the full picture until results day, we are usually in a position to make a few concessions for those who have narrowly missed out on their offer. Your enthusiasm for joining us will also stand you in good stead! So while we obviously can't make any guarantees, try not to worry too much :smile:

We hope to be welcoming you to Loughborough very soon! In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have about the course or life at Loughborough more generally.

Teresa
Original post by arch0wnz
Does this also apply if Loughborough is your insurance?

Hey arch0wnz

Yes, while there are no guarantees, students who have missed out on their firm choice and have us as their insurance would still be considered for any concessionary places that may become available.

Just shout if you have any further questions. In the meantime, good luck for results day! :smile:

Teresa
Reply 11
anyone know whether the Politics and International Relations department has been popular this year? my offer is ABB and i'm praying i've met that as I'm so desperate to go to Loughborough, but if not i'm just wondering whether I should be seriously considering clearing as an option if I don't get in
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey arch0wnz

Yes, while there are no guarantees, students who have missed out on their firm choice and have us as their insurance would still be considered for any concessionary places that may become available.

Just shout if you have any further questions. In the meantime, good luck for results day! :smile:

Teresa

Thank you for your prompt response!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jdn01
anyone know whether the Politics and International Relations department has been popular this year? my offer is ABB and i'm praying i've met that as I'm so desperate to go to Loughborough, but if not i'm just wondering whether I should be seriously considering clearing as an option if I don't get in

Hey jdn01

Firstly, try not to panic! The same applies as my previous reply to JustPolly101 above: We obviously can't make any guarantees and we won't know for certain until results are released next week but it is likely that a few concessionary places for those who have narrowly missed their offer will be available.

Of course, it is always sensible to research your other options (such as Clearing) so that you're prepared for all eventualities, but try to keep the faith - you may have done better than you think!

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you all next month :smile:

Teresa
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Loughborough University
Hey jdn01

Firstly, try not to panic! The same applies as my previous reply to JustPolly101 above: We obviously can't make any guarantees and we won't know for certain until results are released next week but it is likely that a few concessionary places for those who have narrowly missed their offer will be available.

Of course, it is always sensible to research your other options (such as Clearing) so that you're prepared for all eventualities, but try to keep the faith - you may have done better than you think!

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you all next month :smile:

Teresa

What about design subjects though? I've got an offer for product design and was wondering if the same advice applied since I assume pd at Loughborough is quite competitive. Also, how much does the rest of the application come into play? My portfolio was really good and I'm pretty sure my interviewer liked me as my interview went on for over an hour and a half instead of the standard 20-30 mins because we were discussing a bunch of stuff and lost track of time.

Quick Reply

Latest