The Student Room Group

Who learns languages in their spare time?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dan Milik
In terms of what people use to learn the languages? I find websites my best tool but for learning Italian, what website or dvd would people recommend?

Thanks 👍

www.memrise.com for italian
get free account and they have loads of italian courses which teach u vocab and stuff from beginner to expert level
:wink:
Original post by karmacrunch
Are you fluent? :tongue:

I initially tried to write my answer to you in Chinese but TSR cannot render all the characters for some reason.

I wouldn't consider myself fluent - I am British after all. However I spent the past year studying Chinese and working at a tech company in China so I can communicate at a reasonable level.
(edited 7 years ago)
Greetings, users of TSR, we are Anonymous.

To the Community Team of TSR,
It has come to our attention, that despite our continued warnings, you have decided to disregard our requests to improve the transparency of how you moderate TSR, and have persisted in running a system which only benefits yourselves and the advertisers operating here.

We have asked politely on many occasions that you change your attitude towards moderation, that you serve and protect your users rather than bully and exploit them, that you maintain the rights and free speech of users. Instead, you have decided to impose stricter moderation measures upon the users of TSR, becoming more zealous with the cards you hand out and lowering the threshold for the severity of behaviour that is worthy of being carded.

You have told the users that the only option out of the troll and bully crisis on TSR is to be stricter and more attentive in your moderation, even joking that "we are all in this together", while simultaneously letting the support team, and yourselves have greater freedom with the non-constructive stuff you are able to post. Even you, Captain Jack, posting a video full of profanities and it being deemed as acceptable to have.

You have created to system which ensures the bullied get banned and bullies roam free. You continue to infringe on the fundamental rights and freedoms of your users, attempting to gain access to our private and confidential information by looking through our Private Messages when you want to find the leaks in your support team. It is now very clear to us that you have no intention of running TSR for your users but you will continue to run it to benefit yourselves. You add insult to injury, we say enough is enough.

To the Community team of TSR, you have made an enemy of Anonymous, you have angered us considerably and we are your worst nightmare because we can out this behaviour. You disregard the requests of your users and continue to operate for your own selfish gain. Anonymous is not a small group of powerless people to ignore, we are an organised, globally active, collective of like-minded individuals and our message is clear, we are standing up against this current system you have imposed on your users. Your worst enemy is now your users, past and present. The revolution has begun.

We are anonymous,
We are legion,
We do not forgive,
We do not forget,
Expect us and respect us.
Currently teaching myself Korean! Will be learning Japanese at university
Who needs to learn a language when the Tardis can translate everything for you!
I want to be fluent in SOOOOO many languages, but I have an order.
In Order:

1). Korean
2). Japanese
3). Cantonese
4). Mandarin Chinese
5). Spanish
6). Portuguese
7). Latin
8). Filipino
9). Geek
10). German
11). Pigeon (Hawaiin)
12). Arabic
Original post by Rhythmical
Swedish isn't on there :cry: been trying to find the time to learn it but it's been so hard, maybe in a few months.

I'm doing Swedish.....yayyyy..... :smile: :biggrin: Do you need to learn it for something or is it just for fun?
Original post by TheFroyoBear
I'm doing Swedish.....yayyyy..... :smile: :biggrin: Do you need to learn it for something or is it just for fun?

Fun and curiosity, Sweden is my favourite country and I want to know a language that many won't know. How about you?
I did two languages at school, taught myself nine (or so) in my spare time, learned a reconstructed ancient language for my novel, and am currently laying the foundation for a ground-up constructed langage of my own. Does that count?
Fun and curiosity, Sweden is my favourite country and I want to know a language that many won't know. How about you?

I stayed in Sweden for a bit when I was younger and absolutely loved it. Sadly never really learnt the language. So I'm doing that now... How far have you got in learning it?
I would love to learn as many languages as possible.

I did French compulsory at school.. but all I remember is playing noughts and crosses with my friend at the back of our books, I would definetly have tried harder if I could go back now. For GCSE my school was :poo: So the only other option I could do was my mother tongue.
And in my spare time I started to learn Chinese and Japanese (I'd love to do Korean and Arabic) but lots of things get in the way (GCSE, Alevel, work, Uni, other hobbies, dying) and I kept stopping and trying to pick it back up.
Swedish isn't on there :cry: been trying to find the time to learn it but it's been so hard, maybe in a few months.

Hallå!!! Jag tyker om att lära svenska! I'm trying to pick up little bits of Swedish because it's such a pretty language and the grammar really interests me!
I love languages so much! I'm so proud of everyone learning extra ones they're so useful to have :clap2: I learned Latin, French and Russian at GCSE. I'm trying to pick up French again, doing bits and pieces of Russian, and having a look at Swedish too. On top of that, I love learning about alphabets and trying to learn as many as I can!
I can only really speak German well. I'm starting a modern languages degree in September (German, Dutch & Russian) so I've done some very basic Dutch and Russian drills on Duolingo and Memrise, but nothing has really gone in... I'm sure it will be useful for when I start my degree though and my memory will be jogged. I've got the Russian version of the cyrillic alphabet sorted though (but it's not really that difficult), it's just a case of nailing pronounciation - mainly ы and щ.

I've also tried to teach myself Finnish in my spare time after visiting Helsinki and making loads of friends out there. It's way too difficult though since it's not an indo-european language, and it will just get in the way of my degree. I'd like to come back to it one day though. I think Finnish is a beautiful sounding language, it's so bumpy... ja minä rakastan suomea. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Would like to at least improve my french but im lazy asf xD
Original post by frankielogue
I’m doing french in school atm, starting spanish as well as french gcse next year, but I also learn Welsh in my spare time, and did do Japanese although I’ve forgotten most of it :P. What languages do you guys learn?

I'm fluent in English (native), French and Spanish. I'm alright at Italian, although I tend to mix French and Spanish when I speak it and hope for the best.

I really want to learn Dutch. I know several words and phrases, and I can get around. It's such a wacky language, and I'm sure it'll impress :smile:
I did GCSE French.

Je l'adorais! :france:
German learner here! :biggrin: I need to expand my vocab and polish my grammar (that damn grammar :rofl:), but I just love it, especially this:

Spoiler

I didn't take any languages at GCSE, so I just did the few required years of French and German. My school attendance wasn't strong enough to support language GCSEs really so I decided against it. I've started slowly learning Spanish and Japanese though. It's a brilliant hobby and one I hope to really develop. I plan to start building on my German again at some point as well
Russian, comrades. :sexface:

Quick Reply

Latest