The Student Room Group

A&E nurse

I'm starting to think about what I'd like to go into in the future. It is early days but I'd still like to do my research etc. I'm leaning towards a&e. What sort of shifts on average do a&e nurses do? I've been told they are starting to bring in a&e nurses prescribing....even more pressure! So I'd probably have to arrange my own prescribing course which is like 6 months on top of my degree. Are they still band 5s? Any info would be helpful! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Our ED do the same 12.5 hour shifts as our wards. They do also do twilight shifts which I think are from 2pm to midnight!? (Someone correct me there if I'm wrong!)

The Emergency Nurse Practitioner is a fairly new role. They will independently assess patients and are mainly responsible for seeing minor injuries. Some (if not all) ENPs can prescribe, although the ENP role is a Band 7 so you won't have to worry about a prescribing course early on in your career. I understand the course is very challenging from what Band 7 and 8 friends have told me.

Never too early to research and find something to aim for. Try and get a placement there if you can!
Do you do a stint on A&E during training? I'm starting a Nursing course in September, so I'm curious about what wards you can be assigned to on placements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by PaediatricStN
Our ED do the same 12.5 hour shifts as our wards. They do also do twilight shifts which I think are from 2pm to midnight!? (Someone correct me there if I'm wrong!)

The Emergency Nurse Practitioner is a fairly new role. They will independently assess patients and are mainly responsible for seeing minor injuries. Some (if not all) ENPs can prescribe, although the ENP role is a Band 7 so you won't have to worry about a prescribing course early on in your career. I understand the course is very challenging from what Band 7 and 8 friends have told me.

Never too early to research and find something to aim for. Try and get a placement there if you can!

I have heard about emergency nurse practitioners and prescribing but not fully just yet. Do you know if they have to have a masters? Are they advanced practitioners? I'm going to try and get a spoke there possibly one day on my placement il have to have an ask around. Thankyou! X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Crankyla
Do you do a stint on A&E during training? I'm starting a Nursing course in September, so I'm curious about what wards you can be assigned to on placements

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think my trust lets students on a&e. I think they did at one time but not anymore. You could always go and shadow a nurse for a day I suppose but I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
I have heard about emergency nurse practitioners and prescribing but not fully just yet. Do you know if they have to have a masters? Are they advanced practitioners? I'm going to try and get a spoke there possibly one day on my placement il have to have an ask around. Thankyou! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

You apply for an ENP training post, the training (here in brum anyway) is organised through your employer at university and in the workplace. You need a fair bit of A&E experience to get into it, there's a quite a bit of competition for these posts.
Reply 6
Original post by moonkatt
You apply for an ENP training post, the training (here in brum anyway) is organised through your employer at university and in the workplace. You need a fair bit of A&E experience to get into it, there's a quite a bit of competition for these posts.

Do you know if qualified nurses can pick up bank on a&e? Or will you need specific training first? Because I know bank may be few and far between on a&e but if they are asking for bank I'm guessing they definitely won't have time to babysit you so it's abit like....how can I get experience? If you know what I mean. I do need just a day shadowing a nurse really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wbnurse
Do you know if qualified nurses can pick up bank on a&e? Or will you need specific training first? Because I know bank may be few and far between on a&e but if they are asking for bank I'm guessing they definitely won't have time to babysit you so it's abit like....how can I get experience? If you know what I mean. I do need just a day shadowing a nurse really

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes A+E depts will put shifts out to bank but unless you have A+E experience you are likely to find yourself as a pair of hands who can adminster meds and probably working on the majors side to allow the A+E competencne nurses who are either on the PGDs or are practitioners + prescribers to work in assessment / minors / resus ...

if you want a day shadowing you may be better off asking the Lead Nurse for A+E if you can come and do a day shadowing - it;s then down to your negotiation skills with your current manager on what basis that is done .

prescribing course would come After a Practitioner course as certainly the 'traditional ' ENP model ( minors focused) is often easily covered by PGDs and you'll be picking up various of the skills as part fo the development for A+E staff Nurses ( assessment skills, IR(ME)R , advanced wound closure / local anaesthesia/ foreign bodies etc )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by PaediatricStN

I would love to be an ENP but would also love to prescribe do you know if they need a masters degree?
Original post by Mango65
I would love to be an ENP but would also love to prescribe do you know if they need a masters degree?

having the prescribing qualification goes hand in hand with advanced practice, prescribing is levle 7 award and most advanced practice related academic awards are now level 7 as well.

more andm ore of the band 7 Practitioner roles are designed around independent prescribing .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending