The Student Room Group

Be honest will I have a chance?

Poll

Realistically do I have a chance of getting an offer from either of the unis?

So over the past couple of months I've been contemplating applying for Warwick/Cambridge to study a Bsc(Hons) Maths for 2017 entry. My 5 current uni choices are: Surrey, Southampton, Nottingham, Mancgester and Bath. I literally looked at the "2017 Oxford Prospective Students" thread (don't know if there is one for Warwick/Cambride) and felt very small LOL.

The students on the thread have like 6-7 A* for their GCSE. These are my "feeble" GCSE grades ~ A*(Maths), A(Religious Studies short course), A(Chemistry), B(Physics), B(Biology), B(Geography), B(ICT), B(English Language), C(English Literature), C(Media Studies), D(French).

At AS I chose the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics. This is what I think I achieved at AS for the subjects respectively ~ AABC.

If you have read up to this apart I applaud you and thank you for being patient. Your Opinions??
(edited 7 years ago)
Oxford will probably be an outright no because they place so much emphasis on the GCSE grades. Cambridge prefer to look at your AS results, but still do look at GCSE. I would say that you wouldn't stand a chance at Oxford.

The A in Maths and Further Maths is very good, but I would concerned about the C in Physics. I guess Physics is relevant (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I know at Cambridge the majority of students that get an offer have around 95% in their average UMS. They do look at the application holistically and try to assess candidates not only on grades, because they are aware sometimes people slip up.

Why do you think you have a C in Physics? Is it because you think you just passed all the papers or because of one big screw up?
Original post by TiernanW
Oxford will probably be an outright no because they place so much emphasis on the GCSE grades. Cambridge prefer to look at your AS results, but still do look at GCSE. I would say that you wouldn't stand a chance at Oxford.

The A in Maths and Further Maths is very good, but I would concerned about the C in Physics. I guess Physics is relevant (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and I know at Cambridge the majority of students that get an offer have around 95% in their average UMS. They do look at the application holistically and try to assess candidates not only on grades, because they are aware sometimes people slip up.

Why do you think you have a C in Physics? Is it because you think you just passed all the papers or because of one big screw up?

Thank you so much for your honest reply. I would have chosen Cambridge over Oxford anyway. Oh and Physics ... yeah like you suggested it was a big screw up. It's all my doing. Do Cambridge take 3 A levels for an undergraduate mathematics course? Also are my chances slightly better with Warwick (if it were Oxbridge i would choose Cambridge but if it were out of the 3 i would choose Warwick just to be "sure" of an offer)
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Thank you so much for your honest reply. I would have chosen Cambridge over Oxford anyway. Oh and Physics ... yeah like you suggested it was a big screw up. It's all my doing. Do Cambridge take 3 A levels for an undergraduate mathematics course? Also are my chances slightly better with Warwick (if it were Oxbridge i would choose Cambridge but if it were out of the 3 i would choose Warwick just to be "sure" of an offer)

Cambridge say there is no need to take more than 3 A-Levels. The reason that people take 4 is because normally they are taking Further Maths. Cambridge count FM and Maths as just "Maths" when they plug it into the system for averages. Here is a guide to Cambridge UMS averages: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_UMS_averages_when_applying_to_Cambridge

Your chances are better anywhere than Oxbridge I think. I mean if you got a really high average in Maths, like 90%+, they might let you come for an interview. But don't forget that they want you to get A*A*A at A-Level for Science subjects, so they'll want to see a prediction like that in your academic reference, and if your teachers don't think you'll get it, they probably won't predict it. There is also the STEP papers for Maths.

I am not an expert on Warwick so I can't really speculate on them, but they are also very competitive.
So over the past couple of months I've been contemplating applying for Warwick/Cambridge to study a Bsc(Hons) Maths for 2017 entry. My 5 current uni choices are: Surrey, Southampton, Nottingham, Mancgester and Bath. I literally looked at the "2017 Oxford Prospective Students" thread (don't know if there is one for Warwick/Cambride) and felt very small LOL.

The students on the thread have like 6-7 A* for their GCSE. These are my "feeble" GCSE grades ~ A*(Maths), A(Religious Studies short course), A(Chemistry), B(Physics), B(Biology), B(Geography), B(ICT), B(English Language), C(English Literature), C(Media Studies), D(French).

At AS I chose the following subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics. This is what I think I achieved at AS for the subjects respectively ~ AABC.

If you have read up to this apart I applaud you and thank you for being patient. Your Opinions??

Your GCSE % of A* will be very very low for oxford so it really would be an outright no sadly.
Cambridge take your AS UMS into account and you will be competing with people who will have 95%+ UMS at AS for maths, hence I wouldn't advise applying with anything less than 90% UMS across your best 3 AS levels.
Warwick would be more likely but again weaker GCSE grades and low 2nd and 3rd AS grades means it would be harder to compete with the top students.

Also remember that these are some of the most competitive unis for maths, so you will have to take step as well as get A*A*A for cambridge and Warwick, do you really think you can achieve those grades, because if you fall short they are very unlikely to be lenient (witnessed this first hand, someone achieved over their required grades for cambridge by 2a*s but got one grade down in one of the step exams and lost their place, similar thing happened at warwick, it really is cut throat for these top level maths places). It would be such a waste in my opinion to apply there firm it, get your hopes up and then not make the grade. Its fine to have a reach choice but be very realistic, reaching to high just causes dissapointment and upset, its much better to have a more achieveable firm choice than something absolutely absurdly hard.
Reply 5
I was looking at ACCC at my AS's when I took them and so decided to apply post-A Levels after doing the odd resit and applied with my A*AA A2s to Cambridge (meaning I had to take a gap year). I got an interview, got pooled and later not fished out unfortunately but they judged me on my performance at interview, as they said in feedback I requested after the decision. To apply with ASs you need straight As, basically, which gives you a shot at getting the interview. I doubt you'll get one without the As and without an extenuating circumstances form, but you could always do what I did and put off applying until after you have your final grades. Once you've met them and you get an interview the interview itself is what really counts in your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Maths sounds savage though so good luck to you. I don't envy being in the whole admissions cycle, it's such stress, much of it superfluous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Giotto
I was looking at ACCC at my AS's when I took them and so decided to apply post-A Levels after doing the odd resit and applied with my A*AA A2s to Cambridge (meaning I had to take a gap year). I got an interview, got pooled and later not fished out unfortunately but they judged me on my performance at interview, as they said in feedback I requested after the decision. To apply with ASs you need straight As, basically, which gives you a shot at getting the interview. I doubt you'll get one without the As and without an extenuating circumstances form, but you could always do what I did and put off applying until after you have your final grades. Once you've met them and you get an interview the interview itself is what really counts in your offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh how unfortunate. Just because of an interview that "they" weren't impressed with. Isn't it possible that Cambridge and Oxford are losing potential academic alumnis that could contribute to the mathematics discipline through this rigorous procedure?
Reply 8
Oh how unfortunate. Just because of an interview that "they" weren't impressed with. Isn't it possible that Cambridge and Oxford are losing potential academic alumnis that could contribute to the mathematics discipline through this rigorous procedure?

Why did you put 'they' in quotes? It's not perfect but it's pretty much as rigorous as it can be, and they give you a very fair chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Your GCSEs are fine.

Cambridge 2017 thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
The Official 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread

And for the maths course the most important thing is your maths academic results, although a C in physics would concern them a bit.

Another hurdle for Cambridge will be STEP. Have you researched it at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Your GCSEs are fine.

Cambridge 2017 thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3164815
The Official 2017 Cambridge Applicants Thread

And for the maths course the most important thing is your maths academic results, although a C in physics would concern them a bit.

Another hurdle for Cambridge will be STEP. Have you researched it at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess there is hope after all. Next year i think i will take A2 Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths next year as I find Chemistry easier than Physics. Would this be acceptable by Cambridge/Warwick.
Oh and yes i have heard about STEP. I know that they require grade 1 or S for two STEP papers. From my understanding STEP tests and advances the content you learn at A Level for mathematics to prepare you for first year undergraduate study?! I haven't looked into the papers properly as I'm studying the A2 Maths content to get a head start.
Original post by Giotto
Why did you put 'they' in quotes? It's not perfect but it's pretty much as rigorous as it can be, and they give you a very fair chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah i was a bit harsh with the quotes. I was referring to the interviewers. Oh and yeah fair enough
Reply 12
I guess there is hope after all. Next year i think i will take A2 Chemistry with Maths and Further Maths next year as I find Chemistry easier than Physics. Would this be acceptable by Cambridge/Warwick.
Oh and yes i have heard about STEP. I know that they require grade 1 or S for two STEP papers. From my understanding STEP tests and advances the content you learn at A Level for mathematics to prepare you for first year undergraduate study?! I haven't looked into the papers properly as I'm studying the A2 Maths content to get a head start.

Yes doing Chem instead of Physics is ok, but do keep in mind that nearly everyone else will have Physics.

And STEP is entirely based on A-Level content so you need C1-C4 under your belt to do it justice. Typical offer is 1,1 in STEP II and III.

I suggest having a look at the TSR STEP thread in the Maths Exams forum, but yeah don't stress over it... Yet :wink:

Here's the 2016 STEP thread - there will be one created for 2017 in due course
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4136101

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Yes doing Chem instead of Physics is ok, but do keep in mind that nearly everyone else will have Physics.

And STEP is entirely based on A-Level content so you need C1-C4 under your belt to do it justice. Typical offer is 1,1 in STEP II and III.

I suggest having a look at the TSR STEP thread in the Maths Exams forum, but yeah don't stress over it... Yet :wink:

Here's the 2016 STEP thread - there will be one created for 2017 in due course
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4136101

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you this is really useful information.
Reply 14
Thank you this is really useful information.

No problem :smile:

You might also find these Cambridge threads useful:
* Ask a Maths interviewer (2016) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4217492
* Ask a Maths interviewer (2015) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3404559
* Ask an Admissions Tutor (current thread) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4238242

Don't let anyone put you down. Your grades may not be straight A* but if you perform well in the preadmission test(for most courses there is one) and can do well in the interview then you have a chance. Apply anyway.
Original post by Rirjfbfn
Don't let anyone put you down. Your grades may not be straight A* but if you perform well in the preadmission test(for most courses there is one) and can do well in the interview then you have a chance. Apply anyway.
Thanks for the motivation :h: now i feel more inspired to go through with it
Hello, just popping in to offer my two cents!
From my personal experience, in my GCSEs I got 8 A*s and 8 As, and at AS I got AAAB and still applied to Cambridge even though some people said they'd only take 4 A grades seriously. Once you apply Cambridge do ask you to fill in an extra questionnaire where you can tell them about your results in a more detailed way, like the size of your classes and the exact number of UMS you got. I believe this helped me as I was just 1 UMS off an A in English Literature, so maybe they thought they'd give me a chance haha!
After this I was lucky enough to get an interview, and I was repeatedly told that they base their decision to make you an offer more on the interview than your initial application/personal statement. As long as they see you have a genuine interest and passion for learning and think outside the box when answering the questions they ask you and provided you give a good impression, you probably will stand a chance in spite of a few lower grades. (I was applying for HSPS, so rather than being presented with a maths equation I was asked more about my interests and why I wanted to do the course and some in depth chat about the essays I'd provided them with beforehand, so I tried to constantly show I was thinking beyond the question at face value, e.g. when asked if I had a specific topic area to study there in mind, I actually said no but elaborated and said it was such a broad course I didn't want to limit myself now and stay open to the possibility of studying things that haven't even crossed my mind yet)
You can also mention on one of their forms that you plan to resit an exam, so they'll be aware of the fact that you will probably get a higher grade this time around. There's a lot of things they consider when making you an offer that's not based exclusively on your grades!
I did actually end up with an offer from Cambridge so I hope that all of this made sense and could maybe help you? I never in a million years used to think I'd even apply to Cambridge since I didn't see myself as the kind of student that belonged there. I still applied though, and I'd suggest you do the same, because you never know what might happen. If you don't get an offer, well, at least you were brave enough to try! Not many people would have the courage to do that.
Best of luck!
Original post by theravensdiadem
Hello, just popping in to offer my two cents!
From my personal experience, in my GCSEs I got 8 A*s and 8 As, and at AS I got AAAB and still applied to Cambridge even though some people said they'd only take 4 A grades seriously. Once you apply Cambridge do ask you to fill in an extra questionnaire where you can tell them about your results in a more detailed way, like the size of your classes and the exact number of UMS you got. I believe this helped me as I was just 1 UMS off an A in English Literature, so maybe they thought they'd give me a chance haha!
After this I was lucky enough to get an interview, and I was repeatedly told that they base their decision to make you an offer more on the interview than your initial application/personal statement. As long as they see you have a genuine interest and passion for learning and think outside the box when answering the questions they ask you and provided you give a good impression, you probably will stand a chance in spite of a few lower grades. (I was applying for HSPS, so rather than being presented with a maths equation I was asked more about my interests and why I wanted to do the course and some in depth chat about the essays I'd provided them with beforehand, so I tried to constantly show I was thinking beyond the question at face value, e.g. when asked if I had a specific topic area to study there in mind, I actually said no but elaborated and said it was such a broad course I didn't want to limit myself now and stay open to the possibility of studying things that haven't even crossed my mind yet)
You can also mention on one of their forms that you plan to resit an exam, so they'll be aware of the fact that you will probably get a higher grade this time around. There's a lot of things they consider when making you an offer that's not based exclusively on your grades!
I did actually end up with an offer from Cambridge so I hope that all of this made sense and could maybe help you? I never in a million years used to think I'd even apply to Cambridge since I didn't see myself as the kind of student that belonged there. I still applied though, and I'd suggest you do the same, because you never know what might happen. If you don't get an offer, well, at least you were brave enough to try! Not many people would have the courage to do that.
Best of luck!
Omg 16 GCSEs. And half A, half A*. You are definately worthy of an place at the uni. I've never heard of anyone with 16 GCSEs. Right now i don't feel inclined to apply to Cambridge as i think I'll have a better chance at Warwick. Despite all of that I'm thankful of your advice and maybe i could gain the courage to apply before January. Most importantly good luck with your offer and your A Level grades.

Quick Reply

Latest