The Student Room Group

Graduate with a worthless degree needs help

Hi guys,

My degree: 2:1 German & Italian from Uni of Warwick

Didn't make the best use of it, no internships/significant society involvement

Work experience at present: 4 months admin in a bank

I'm aware of the reality of my situation that I'm not the most employable right now. I know now what I should have done better at uni etc but that's in the past now.

I'm willing to learn & work hard, just don't know what my options are.

Right now I'm applying for more admin roles for work right now and I will also be applying for grad schemes this autumn

What I'd like:

Something challenging/stimulating - a job where I feel like I really have to think, solve problems, analyse...

Relative autonomy in my work

Not for me:

Teaching - Just doesn't appeal to me at all, & I don't think it should be a profession occupied by people who aren't 100% committed anyway

Sales/Recruitment - Not enough of a Type A personality to succeed here

Any advice welcome :smile:

Scroll to see replies

A language degree is only truly worthless if you don't make the effort to engage with others in the languages that you studied.
I'm assuming that's a language degree, and there's lots you can do with a language degree. You can work freelance as a translator or interpreter (although if you're going for a job with a company, they may want an MA in Interpreting and/or Translating). Check out the CIOL for more info - you can get a membership which will help with employability in languages, but it's an investment. Honestly, freelance translating sounds like exactly what you're looking for in a job - a lot of autonomy, a lot of analysing and a lot of thought goes into finding the best possible translation that preserves the original meaning but makes sense in the other culture.
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
A language degree is only truly worthless if you don't make the effort to engage with others in the languages that you studied.

My German is pretty damn solid but my Italian is pretty conversational - not to say I couldn't improve on these

Original post by stripystockings
I'm assuming that's a language degree, and there's lots you can do with a language degree. You can work freelance as a translator or interpreter (although if you're going for a job with a company, they may want an MA in Interpreting and/or Translating). Check out the CIOL for more info - you can get a membership which will help with employability in languages, but it's an investment. Honestly, freelance translating sounds like exactly what you're looking for in a job - a lot of autonomy, a lot of analysing and a lot of thought goes into finding the best possible translation that preserves the original meaning but makes sense in the other culture.

Yes it is a languages degree. I'm already pursuing some freelance translation work (in addition to copywriting, transcription etc - anything and everything) to add to my CV/get a little side money.

I'm not certain if translation is what I really want to do. I know I'm not exactly Warren Buffet 2 in the making but from what I gather your earning prospects are quite poor as a translator, although written translations are something I enjoy/interest me a lot.

I'd rather (if I'm able) just go into a more generic corporate type role, if the language(s) see use then more for the better
Original post by Herz
My German is pretty damn solid but my Italian is pretty conversational - not to say I couldn't improve on these

Yes it is a languages degree. I'm already pursuing some freelance translation work (in addition to copywriting, transcription etc - anything and everything) to add to my CV/get a little side money.

I'm not certain if translation is what I really want to do. I know I'm not exactly Warren Buffet 2 in the making but from what I gather your earning prospects are quite poor as a translator, although written translations are something I enjoy/interest me a lot.

I'd rather (if I'm able) just go into a more generic corporate type role, if the language(s) see use then more for the better

Earning prospects certainly vary, and largely depend on your language combination. Freelance translation work does require a fair bit of networking - you have to be your own businessperson. So while you can earn a significant amount, there's a lot of work that goes into that. There are certainly companies that employ translators specifically, though (think publishers, and international companies) or for work on the side, you might want to look into court translating (though interpreting is more common) or working for the NHS or police (again, mostly interpreting, and uses more technical language).

I hope you find what you're looking for!
I hear civil servant in the foreign office is pretty good for the work you're looking for, especially if you get postings abroad
Reply 6
Original post by Herz
Hi guys,

I'm aware of the reality of my situation that I'm not the most employable right now. I know now what I should have done better at uni etc but that's in the past now.

Right now I'm applying for more admin roles for work right now and I will also be applying for grad schemes this autumn

What I'd like:

Something challenging/stimulating - a job where I feel like I really have to think, solve problems, analyse...

Not for me:

Teaching - Just doesn't appeal to me at all, & I don't think it should be a profession occupied by people who aren't 100% committed anyway

You're degree is not worthless at all. Warwick is a great university, one of the best in UK and 70% of graduate jobs don't require you to have a specific degree subject so you'll be fine applying to most jobs. The only problem you have is the lack of extracurriculars- I'd recommend just exaggerating any extracurricular activities that you have done and applying for work experience placements now as a graduate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
The biggest issue you have is not your degree (which is actually very useful), it is more your lack of career direction.You are going to be up against people who really want to do the job they are applying to, and will be able to articulate on an application form or interview why.Your very broad scope probably needs some narrowing down, and that is going to come with more research and possibly some more work experience.

You're right, I need to find some real path/direction and pursue it
what were your a-levels in and what grades did you get?
Original post by TelAviv
I hear civil servant in the foreign office is pretty good for the work you're looking for, especially if you get postings abroad

Not sure those languages are high up their list though
Reply 10
Original post by grassntai
what were your a-levels in and what grades did you get?

German B History A English Lit A Maths (AS) A

Original post by Ethereal
Not sure those languages are high up their list though

People always joke to me that I should become a spy but I daresay they'd rather have people fluent in Arabic than any European language...
Original post by Herz
Hi guys,

What I'd like:

Not for me:

Would you consider a career in translation and interpreting? More details here. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by honour
Would you consider a career in translation and interpreting? More details here. :smile:

I've considered it obviously but I'm not sure to be honest - I don't feel comfortable enough with my languages to have that absolute fluency you need to do something like interpreting. As I think I said higher up I'd probably enjoy like written translation but I don't think it's a career with much "scope"
Original post by Herz
German B History A English Lit A Maths (AS) A

People always joke to me that I should become a spy but I daresay they'd rather have people fluent in Arabic than any European language...

You never know given the referendum... :p:
Original post by Herz
Hi guys,

What I'd like:

Not for me:

Reality check here * - a 2:1 from Warwick - hello not useless. Brilliant.

Go to Germany - powerhouse of Europe - we are still in the EU despite the Brexit vote.. or....

Do not dismiss teaching - my son graduated with a physics degree and took a job in a nice public school for a year - loves it. Now qualified as a teacher and looking forward to a great future. YOU COULD DO A *LOT WORSE - believe me.

Get your ass into gear now*
Reply 15
Your degree is what you make of it.
Reply 16
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Reality check here * - a 2:1 from Warwick - hello not useless. Brilliant.

Go to Germany - powerhouse of Europe - we are still in the EU despite the Brexit vote.. or....

Do not dismiss teaching - my son graduated with a physics degree and took a job in a nice public school for a year - loves it. Now qualified as a teacher and looking forward to a great future. YOU COULD DO A *LOT WORSE - believe me.

Get your ass into gear now*

Yeah I know 2:1 from Warwick isn't "useless" really but still don't see what I can do with it esp. since I don't have any decent experience to back myself up/allow me to move into a field

I'd still need to find a decent job to move to Germany though in any case

Idk I just don't think I'd wanna teach

And yeah I know I could do worse & I need to get moving pretty quick and not just stagnate
(edited 7 years ago)
Might you be interested in working with vulnerable groups or helping people? You could try and get on an MA in Social Work or Youth Work. Now you have your degree there are lots of post grad courses that could take you in a completely different direction. What interests you?
Reply 18
Original post by markova21
Might you be interested in working with vulnerable groups or helping people? You could try and get on an MA in Social Work or Youth Work. Now you have your degree there are lots of post grad courses that could take you in a completely different direction. What interests you?

I wouldn't be against further study if I thought it would lend itself to a career path but right now as far as I can see at least for the moment there's nothing to gain from a Masters.

Something like Social Work/working with vulnerable people wouldn't be my cup of tea.

In terms of my own interests I don't know, like I said in the OP (super general stuff I know)...I want a career where I feel challenged, have to think a lot and work hard, handle lots of info, have to research maybe...
Original post by Herz
I've considered it obviously but I'm not sure to be honest - I don't feel comfortable enough with my languages to have that absolute fluency you need to do something like interpreting. As I think I said higher up I'd probably enjoy like written translation but I don't think it's a career with much "scope"

Right, I see. What about teaching - wait, let me finish - English as a second language to those who speak German and Italian? i.e. teaching IELTS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending