The Student Room Group

The job centre is such a waste of time and money

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
No thanks I think I'll just keep my dignity. That's just something I couldn't bring myself to do - sign on.

If you're living at home it's fine, but if you're on your own without anyone to back you up there's no choice.

I'm the former so I won't go near the place despite being entitled to free money before uni starts in September.
Reply 21
Original post by Herz
Unfortunately a great many people in this country can't afford to eat dignity

I agree with you, I don't know how my post can be construed otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sorry bruh :\
Original post by cbreef
No thanks I think I'll just keep my dignity. That's just something I couldn't bring myself to do - sign on.

lol dignity.. the government take 30-50% of YOUR money when you are working.. tens of thousands a year and you think its undignified to collect £70 a week if u have no job or money. Does using the nhs cost you your dignity aswell?
Original post by sationti
I signed on for the first time today and must say I am totally disillusioned with the Job Centre. I made the effort to look presentable and even more one of my more expensive perfumes, but when I got there all they were interested in doing was getting me to sign a couple of forms and telling me of the JSA process. I'd already been to 3 interviews last week and so I am quite aware of the efforts I should be making to find a job, but at the end I was sent to 'Triage' where the lady was supposed to help me find suitable jobs. She found three that all required one year's hotel reception experience, but when I said I've never worked in a hotel or on reception, she said 'oh just make it up'.

The annoying thing is that even though I'm totally unsuitable for these jobs, I will now have to spend time out of my day applying for these jobs because she noted down the reference numbers and if I don't apply, my claim will be affected.

Not only that, but I have to go workshops next week all at my own expense that will show me how to write a CV (I've always kept it up to date since I was 16 and had it checked by my university careers service) and how to look in the paper for a job. I've then got to go to another session later in the week whereby they'll show me how to apply for jobs online via their online site.

It's just annoying because if anything, these silly sessions are a) costing me money to go, that being unemployed I can ill-afford and b) it' stopping me from applying for jobs and going to interviews, as they made clear these silly sessions must take priority over any calls from an employer. I'm happy to show them evidence of my job search, but the Job Centre seem to want to make it even more difficult for me to get a job.

I'm sorry I just needed to rant.

Hey, I know EXACTLEY how you feel. I first signed on in August, this time 2 years ago. I was still 18 then, so I thought I'll do my Level 2 HSC at college, that way I still can get away from Universal Credit. Then once college finished I went BACK onto the Universal Credit, last year and did the exact same thing. Went back to college. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, if you really do want to get away from the Job centre, I suggest you apply for jobs every single day. Apply for as many as you can and I promise you, you will get a response. Like you said, your CV looks great so I don't think you should have any problems. Or maybe apply for a job at your old Uni, if they allow it? But if getting a job is becoming a struggle for you, then apply for voluntary jobs.

Otherways for making money:

-Sell items on Depop, Ebay, Etsy
-Going round to neighbours and walking to dogs or cleaning the garden
-Bake cakes or other foods and sell around the neighbourhood
-Do reviews on the internet and get paid for it (it can be a lengthy process of doing reviews. Just do your research on it)
-If you have graduated with an Arts, Fashion or maybe a Graphic Design degree, then maybe you could consider freelancing work?

Just remember that there are hundreds of grads (or people in general) just like you, wanting a job. So please don't feel upset. :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by Betelgeuse-
lol dignity.. the government take 30-50% of YOUR money when you are working.. tens of thousands a year and you think its undignified to collect £70 a week if u have no job or money. Does using the nhs cost you your dignity aswell?

This! I worked for 5 years prior to going to university and worked out I paid around £20k in tax during that time (they deducted around £400 a month). They're quick enough to take yours so what's undignified about making a genuine claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cbreef
That's my problem. I've yet to pay in jack ****. I feel as though I don't deserve the money.

Its just a very small loan which you are going to pay back a thousand fold..
I'm going to have to sign on if you I don't get a job within the next few weeks, and I am dreading it. They are so patronising and unsupportive.
Reply 28
Original post by Twinpeaks
I'm going to have to sign on if you I don't get a job within the next few weeks, and I am dreading it. They are so patronising and unsupportive.

Don't dare feel patronised by them. Had they done that to me today I'd have reminded them that the amount I contributed prior to claiming could have paid one of their salaries.

Just don't rely on them to get you a job though because as they're so useless, you'll spend so long unemployed they'll probably end up sanctioning you haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Herz
Yeah that's true.

Of course just a "turn up and get your money" system would be too weak,

that system exists for disabled, mentally ill, and people who cannot work though
Original post by Betelgeuse-

Sort of lol. I never visit my GP, he's busy enough as it is. But my problem is that I have never paid into the system.
Original post by cbreef
Sort of lol. I never visit my GP, he's busy enough as it is. But my problem is that I have never paid into the system.

Thats a relief given your guilt at using the system!
Reply 32
Original post by cbreef

So what if you haven't? You certainly will be when you're working, and you'll be horrified at the amount they take (almost a third with income tax and National Insurance). I didn't feel remotely embarrassed today, and that's putting aside my previous contributions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by sationti
I agree with you, I don't know how my post can be construed otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I was responding to the first person I quoted, I meant to reply to you but I think I decided not to - but left your quote in by mistake
Original post by Twinpeaks

Nothing to dread. If you wnat the money then understand the rules, do what you are told and meet the claims criteria and get the money. They have a job to do dont make it harder for them and you cna get through unscathed.
Honestly, they should give people a citizens income, even if they are not looking for work.

People just need something to live on.

Some people find it difficult to look for work,
people have poor social skills,
people have bad breath,
people dress badly,
they have alcohol problems, depression, suffer from boredom,
people have personality disorders,
people are stupid and have very low intelligence,
we need to be honest about why they are not in work.

The solution isn't more of the same, to "look harder" for work, the entire system has to be gotten rid of and
restarted.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can i get some peoples opinion on this scenario? Ok if you havent got a job upon graduating, youre broke and youre living at your parents home, as a graduate, whats the best option for you:

A- sign on, go through the job centre process, apply for the jobs they require you to apply for AND apply for the jobs you think are suitable for your degree and experience. if you get a job offer through the job centre that you dont like, decline it and take the sanction
OR

B- dont sign on. keep applying for jobs you think are suitable for your degree and experience.
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Can i get some peoples opinion on this scenario? Ok if you havent got a job upon graduating, youre broke and youre living at your parents home, as a graduate, whats the best option for you:

A- sign on, go through the job centre process, apply for the jobs they require you to apply for AND apply for the jobs you think are suitable for your degree and experience. if you get a job offer through the job centre that you dont like, decline it and take the sanction
OR

B- dont sign on. keep applying for jobs you think are suitable for your degree and experience.

Or just do A and build some rapport up with the adviser, then they will support you in what you apply for. Dont have an atitude, just work with them.

If you get a job and decline it then ofc you will be breaking your agreement. It should be quite possible to sabotage your job search if need be, but getting a non graduate job isnt the end of the world and looks better than none at all.
The job center are only useful when dealing with people who can't speak English, the uneducated, the reluctant, and ex offenders. They are a complete waste of time for anyone with an education and a desire to work. I was 'sanctioned' for 4 weeks one month after I had to sign on for simply forgetting to attend a 'group session' on what a CV was. I had to borrow money for bus fare due to the sanction.Thankfully, I found a job with no experience whatsoever after 3 months so don't give up hope. I feel for anyone who has to deal with them, you're made to feel like a criminal. The system needs to change.
All that triage crap is what the real scroungers do, the tax scroungers, The Government. The boys and girls working that hustle create their own company like triage, allocate themselves loads of tax money to pay for it, and the out of work person just has to jump through more hoops. There are more people than jobs so this problem just gets worse. Always remember the biggest scammer are those printing the money and the government, to point the finger at some benefit scrounger is the wetback calling the albino black.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending